Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

Saw the movie the sound though

That Dive bomb sound was probably the loudest poo poo I've heard in a theater

Supposedly that is pretty close to how it was in real life, the Stukas had special sirens attached that were supposed to scare the living crap out of anything on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Was the old guy handing out blankets at the end blind? Because that’s what it seemed like, but then Harry Styles says he just wasn’t looking at any of the evacuees in the eyes because they lost the battle. But the face feeling makes me think I missed something.

He's listed as Blind Man in the credits, I'm guessing so.

Also that old man is John Nolan.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'd like to read the argument that losing a 300K army wouldn't have made much of a difference.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Eh. If you can't hypothesize what Hitler would've done if X was Y, then what's the point.

Well you can see what Hitler did in other cases which was usually invade unless they surrendered (or went neutral like Sweden and Switzerland. Imagine not having Britain as a place to stage your forces for D-Day.)

quote:

Maybe 20% of their total force (think that includes Commonwealth) and less than 10% of their final fighting numbers. It wouldn't have made a huge difference because Germany didn't invade. The loss of all that officer talent would've hurt, although if anyone was getting off that beach it was probably an officer.

The problem is that the BEF was also some of the best the British had to offer when they went to reinforce France, and by the end they had experience fighting not just battles but Germans; a lot of British troops were very, very fresh. Losing 20% of your army, and probably your best troops, would have been a serious blow. They also would have lost the lower-level officers (think corporals on up), which would mean the loss of a lot of experienced leadership. Germany may well have invaded if their home guard consisted of a bunch of fresh-faced kids; I mean, the size of their army grew by 50% between the end of 1939 and June 1940, so not only were they new but they were also running into supply shortages.

Also I didn't realize Churchill was only PM for 16 days before they started the evacuation of Dunkirk.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Could also be a contrast to the captain of the Moonstone, who was probably a veteran and seemed dedicated to honor and order. But then again he ignored an order by not waiting for the navy to board his boat.

The guy the Moonstone captain was based on was indeed a vet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller

• Locked thread