Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

movie is dope. Hans Zimmer and whoever did the sound design get the MVP award because this movie sounds loving amazing. The ticking of the clock that is a constant throughout the movie keeps your heart rate up, and every gunshot registers with you. It's also incredibly gorgeous, to the point where I got very, very claustrophobic during some of the water scenes (i do not like water and this movie really kept me on edge).

The acting is all wonderful; there's no real standout but everyone buys into their role and you can really feel their emotions (although a war certainly makes everything heightened). The air scenes were almost a little too sparse, and I'm starting to think that Chris Nolan has a fetish for Tom Hardy covering the lower half of his face, but I think the civilian scenes on the boat are a real highlight. Dunkirk is a movie that really celebrates small acts of heroism during wartime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

widunder posted:

Saw this last night in admittedly gorgeous 70mm.

I wonder when Nolan last made a movie that made me feel anything. Memento? Or maybe Insomnia?

Good fun, great running time but the fact that Nolan's cold writing even manages to make me not engage emotionally with a WWII drama is pretty astonishing

Interstellar made me cry multiple times maybe watch that?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Harry Styles was very good at playing the character of "selfish twat"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Class Warcraft posted:

I think this movie is going to be divisive and I wonder if seeing it in IMAX is going to be a contributing factor to whether someone loves it or hates it.

I saw it in a regular theater and all the raving I'm seeing about the visuals and audio effects don't match up at all with what I experienced. For me almost all the sound effects and dialogue were pretty muted and almost completely covered up by the music. Visually the entire film seemed to be filmed in a kind of washed-out grey/blue filter. The only scene that really stood out as looking great were the final scenes of the Spitfire over the beach.

I saw it at a regular theater and I didn't have any of the problems you did. Maybe your theater has lovely projectors/screens/theaters?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

iSheep posted:

Christopher Nolan movies consistently have bad mixing in them. It shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

the mixing in this movie is very good which is surprising because all of the other Nolan movies don't, especially Interstellar, which had people questioning if there was some sort of error made during production.

• Locked thread