Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drunkill posted:

Seeing this tomorrow (there were advanced screenings tonight but missed out) but not at Imax because it is booked out for weeks (also expensive) which is a pity because we have the worlds largest screen here (while Sydney imax has been demolished) and they're showing both 70mm and laser projection sessions.

Just came back from a showing at the Melbourne Imax and totally worth it. The film does an amazing job of pulling you in to what's happening, and I actually had no idea it was a PG -"M" over here but sort of equivalent- film before I saw it or after. If you had asked me how much gore there was in the film directly after I saw it my gut reaction would of been a lot, but thinking about it there really was very little. It gave an amazing sense of the tragedy of the deaths that happened, and how trivial death can be in war, without needing buckets of blood. The atmosphere of the film really was quite amazing. Although as noted the characters are thin, and the plot threadbare, but that's not what this film was about, it seemed to just really want to put you as close it could to being at an event like Dunkirk. A great and interesting film, and I really like what it was trying to do.

widunder posted:

Good fun, great running time but the fact that Nolan's cold writing even manages to make me not engage emotionally with a WWII drama is pretty astonishing

Haha yeah, you could tell this was a Nolan film by the coldness and distance everything had. I actually think it was quite amazing how much he managed to pull me into what was happening, while still feeling so dis-attached from it at the same time. In someways I think it helped as it never, to me at least, seemed to judge desperate people for their actions. The film always just seemed to say, 'hey people do some good, and some bad things when put into horrible situations, who are we to judge?', but the distance does hurt a bit as always seeming to be an arms length from characters you have spent considerable time following.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

D C posted:

For the record 90ish % of the aerial stuff was done for real.

Tom Hardy shot down a poo poo load of real Nazi pilots for this film.

The man deserves an Oscar.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also Nolan just tends to like to focus on, to varying degrees, the more rear end in a top hat'ish inclined charters.

The Prestige, Memento, Batman, Inception, Insomnia.

Can't remember interstellar that well, but I'm sure at least a few of the main cast were assholes in that.

It may mis represent history a bit, but it does make for a bit more of an interesting film.

• Locked thread