Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Saw it in 70mm this evening.

The score was ruinous. Loudly overdone, overused, and always pushing, even through the least interesting scenes of the movie. I understand it was meant to convey tension, but there were only a handful of moments that the score wasn't pushing, pressing, ticking ever harder and faster. I felt tense during scenes that would have entirely lacked tension without the score, and I was tired out from constant tension during scenes that were (cinematically) full of tension.

Also on the topic of sound, the mixing was off again, making the rare spoken line difficult to hear over the score or sound effects. Half the lines spoken in a Spitfire were inaudible. Blah blah "your theatre had bad speakers" doesn't cut it when many people are reporting the same problem in reviews, and when Nolan has a history of this.

...not that it matters much what was said, because the characters are an afterthought. Intentional, I get it. But as someone who enjoys the characters in Christoper Nolan movies, Dunkirk lacked.

I also disliked the timeline manipulation, and Tom Hardy's arc ranged from heroic, to incompetent (did I really need multiple scenes of a seasoned pilot not understanding the concept of leading a target?), to fantastical, to needlessly nihilistic at the end.

I did like the visuals and the sound effects. But the score grated on me in a huge way, and the story was dissappointing. We already know war is hell, but I guess now I've seen Nolan's version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The dialog (intentionally) adds nothing to the movie and only pops up every once in a while to avoid having the movie overtly appear to be a weird mashup of an art house war movie with well-known actors whose scripts were each a couple pages long.

• Locked thread