Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RedSpider posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to see this PG-13 war film about the deadliest war in human history.

I love this bizarre notion that somehow a war movie's quality is directly proportional to the amount of dismemberment depicted. As though that's the key to perfect immersion. If the movie is just gory enough we as an audience will have a clear idea of what is was like to live through any of these experiences. Utterly vapid and pubescent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

RedSpider posted:

This statement is almost as false as it is ignorant. War is brutal, dehumanizing, and immoral. An R rating allows the film to aesthetically depict the senseless violence of war. If I desired to make a post as bad as yours, I would do it by simply suggesting that Nolan sold out for a PG-13 rating.

So then We Were Soldiers is better than The Thin Red Line?

You have this child-like notion that the gorier the film is, the more "realistic" it is, and therefore the more "immersive" it is. As though watching the D-Day landing in Saving Private Ryan is the absolute apotheosis of war cinema because you somehow "get it" by seeing people blown to bits. It's facile. You don't understand war because you saw a gorey movie. And a war movie that has no blood in it whatsoever has the exact same capacity to depict countless aspects of war (including the horrors of it) than a movie like Hacksaw Ridge.

Is a scene that explicitly depicts sexual violence more effective at communicating the nightmare of rape than a scene that chooses to depict it in a less literal way?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 20, 2017

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It was notably less gory than Saving Private Ryan. When one of the "main" characters gets blown in half, Malick didn't even bother filming the bottom half of his body. Unlike say....Tom Sizemore in Black Hawk Down. What made The Thin Red Line so effective was the looks on people's faces when they're simply standing around surveying their lives. Or the suggestion of violence.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Super Fan posted:

I also prefer toothless sanitized portrayals of war. War films should be as inoffensive as possible to reach the largest markets.

I hope Dunkirk shows the Brits and Germans shooting eachother with Super Soakers.

Are there any criteria for what makes a war movie good other than "realistic" portrayals of violence (whatever that means)? The most realistic war movie would be a first person handheld account of the D-Day landings but right when the door on the Higgins boat comes down the movie cuts to black and credits roll. So realistic!

And yet here we are, with a PG-13 war film that critics are raving about. Sorry that it won't cater to your weird violence fetish. You can skip Dunkirk and watch Hacksaw Ridge instead and see that awesome totally badass GI pick up that corpse with one arm and use it as a human shield as he charges the Japanese soldiers. That really made me feel like I knew what it was like to live through that. Hoorah!

Here you go, the apotheosis of immersive warm films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=201s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=257s

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Didn't Hacksaw Ridge have one shot that was a literal blood fountain a la Kill Bill? I definitely remember the bullet through the eye that looked like Evil Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=201s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8v0yOhL6SY&t=257s

I'm still waiting for RedSpider or SuperFan's reaction to the "highly sanitized" Dunkirk to see if they thought it was for sissies or something.

I just got back from and IMAX showing of it. The thing I'm most surprised by is how unlike every other Nolan movie it is. Every other film he's done seems to fit neatly into a oeuvre, but this really stands apart. The sound was absolutely punishing- a pure sensory assault from beginning to end.

As far as criticisms, I do wish they had added a few scenes in the middle of the movie to The Mole to clarify the fact that it's taking a week. To me it felt like two days separated by a night. Maybe some more of that haunting Hoytema photography on the beach or something. I think it would've also been helpful to somehow indicate that in the course of that week, there were lots of successful evacuations. In the moment, it felt like barely anyone was making it off the beach alive.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Like there were no where near enough Germans, but there’s 300k Allied troops and we’re looking at probably 3000 at any one time.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Germans were intentionally off-screen the whole time. Do you just mean they should've shown more strafing runs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are Messerschmitts larger than Spitfires? The way Nolan filmed them (especially the POV shots where Hardy is shooting at them) make them seem like massive, slow, hulking bombers. The plane that was strafing everyone at the end was a Messerchmitt, right? Were any other German planes featured?

• Locked thread