Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
For the record 90ish % of the aerial stuff was done for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had a problem with everyone's location in relation to one another. I know the timelines intersected at multiple points, but it felt like the Moonstone boat shouldn't have been that close to the shore when the minelayer went down. They were close enough that the Dutch ship just floated out to them, but they still seemed to be pretty far out to sea.

It seemed like they got the engine running in the dutch ship and it was in reverse heading out to sea.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

david_a posted:

"Massive, slow, and hulking" isn't a half-bad description of a Stuka. They're noticeably larger than a Spitfire, notoriously slow, and look like flying tanks because they have a fair bit of armor and they need to be really strong to survive pulling up after dive bombing. Spinky fighters like the Spitfire/Bf-109 might lose their tail if you tried the same maneuver.

I think they filmed all the planes at fairly low speeds and sped everything up in post, so that probably accounts for some of the oddness. I do remember thinking that the He-111 appeared menacingly slow as it crawled through the sky towards the ship. Almost insolent in a way - didn't that ship try getting an AA gun on target?

The He-111 was a scale model, as were all the Stuka shots. There was a lot of Spitfire and 109 models as well but most of the stuff from them was legit full size, either slowed down so the helicopter could be involved or at a reasonable safe speed for performing un-rehearsed maneuvers.

D C fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 6, 2017

• Locked thread