Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

This movie struck a more personal tone with me. My maternal grandfather was in the navy during the war and was topeadoed multiple times. He survived because he couldn't swim, and so instead of jumping ship he clung on to the very last and I guess the time he bought himself and sheer luck afforded him rescue. I never once really gave much thought beyond thinking 'woah, cool' when I heard the stories of his near escapes. Mum kind of told us offhand, and we being dumb kids didn't ask for more details. He died whenI was very young. As I was watching this film I finally got an idea of how loving horrifying and desperate it must have been for him, and that he went through it more than once was just really hard to imagine.

My paternal grandfather was an officer in the Navy, and when he died we got all these photographs he had taken of those big ship guns going off. Seeing those big black officer coats with the gold trim really reminded me of him, and made me feel a bit sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread