Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This was an amazing bit of film making. I wouldn't call it "emotionally engaging" in that I didn't care much about anyone living or dying - but a mix of the ridiculously amazing camerawork and cinematography and sound design/score made me feel like I was in every situation in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yes, to the spoiled question.

Also, Nolan tries to be super naturalistic with sound, so it can be hard to understand dialogue, IMAX or not.

Other things to notice is that you don't see a single German until the very end, and even then, they are out of focus. Also, Zimmers crazy rear end score starts ticking at the very beginning and doesn't end until a certain character closes his eyes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thepokey posted:

Don't think I've been that bored in a cinema for quite awhile. It was impressive in some respects. The score did a great job of building tension but then if I broke concentration for a moment I remembered I ultimately didn't care about any of these characters or what happened to them and it made it hard to regain that tension. So the whole film felt a bit like a tug-of-war in that regard as far as pulling me in and then pulling me out. But at the same time, I can't fault the movie too much for that because it was set up in a very deliberate way and its more that it didn't suit my taste.

This is actually one of the most fair reviews I've read in this forum.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The movie had all of that stuff in it, though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Cillian needed a timeline. Sticking in that night shot without any further backstory was awkward. He's the lone survivor of a whole ship and he elicits almost no sympathy.

It feels like there's a 3 hour version of this movie that makes more sense.

I wouldn't say you needed more from him. The timeline had the Mole crew get torpedoed, try to get on Murphy's boat, him turning them down and telling them to calm down. Their response was "let's see how you are when you get torpedoed." The "next time" we see Murphy, he's siting on a ship that got torpedoed, and he freaked out more than they did. I don't really need any more from him, since his character was about the aftereffects.

• Locked thread