Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw it in 70mm. Incredible movie all around. Breakneck tension, gorgeous cinematography, and an ensemble cast that all perform with a realistic desperation. It reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road in pacing. Really tight editing and script. An understated masterpiece that will probably go down as Nolan's best, and I'm completely ok with that. I'm a huge Nolan buff, but I'd say this movie works so well because it's the least "Nolan-esque" in storytelling, but maintains his masterful touch in actually filming a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Simplex posted:

I've got kind of an unusual complaint about the movie in that I think it actually needed more CGI. I think the overall problem with it is that the cinematography exposes some pretty poor action choreography, especially with the aerial combat. It's just really telling that they are flying 75-year-old planes and are deathly afraid of crashing them. Each combat sequence basically involves the planes gently swooping around, then some white smoke, and finally the stricken plane gently glides into the Channel.

That felt in complete contrast to the rest of the film which mostly consisted of sudden violence interrupting supposed peace and security. The CGI Stukas fit into the rest of the movie better, because they could do more with them.

I didn't really even consider it, but I did really enjoy the pacing and palette of the aerial stuff as a break from the harsh and brutal beach scenes. I took it as more of the early stages of aerial combat were pretty simple and calm comparatively. The editing of the movie was so loving good that I didn't even notice even though you're 100% right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oscar possibilities:

Director
Cinematography
Sound design/sound editing <- probably a lock
Editing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd say the most whining about this movie comes from idiots with a weak grasp of history. They wanted an oorah action films and instead got one about a horrible military blunder, the effects of war, and regular people doing their part.

Bingo. This was like the opposite Hacksaw Ridge. That was just over the top, almost comedic violence in a movie that needed a mature look at war based on it's main character and the heart of his story. The horrors of war (even in battle) can be communicated without blood and gore, as this movie did masterfully.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Didn't Hacksaw Ridge have one shot that was a literal blood fountain a la Kill Bill? I definitely remember the bullet through the eye that looked like Evil Dead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Them being faceless and nameless is the whole point but ok

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I mean, his last three (non-Batman) movies used the same time trick: screen time = vastly different amounts of time for the various layers of the story. Dream depth in Inception, relativity in Interstellar, and historical time lines in Dunkirk.

I wouldn't even call it a gimmick in this film, just a clever way of having three timelines intersect at the climax while starting them at different points in the overall timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Except the big climax where all the timelines meet is the bombing of the minesweeper which:
A) is basically a repeat of a scene we already saw (the hospital ship getting bombed)
B) almost tensionless since none of the characters we'd been following are even on that ship

It was so baffling to me when watching it that he went to all that trouble to set up three timelines and the big payoff is all the characters watching a repeat of something we saw earlier happen again to someone else.

But seeing the events through the different character's eyes gave a different perspective or new information, which was the entire point.

• Locked thread