Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The theater I went to hosed up the movie times, and ended up showing Dunkirk 30 minutes late. They apologized and gave the audience free movie passes. :c00l:

The movie itself was alright. One of the loudest movies I've ever experienced. Every gunshot and bomb felt so significant. The pacing was perfect (although some people in the theater didn't agree, people in front of me walked out of the movie about 45 minutes in). This is definitely a movie to see in a theater. Nolan did a great job starting right from the beginning establishing a tone of just dread/fear/uncertainty that stays consistent till the very end, and keeps tension going throughout the film. I still think Interstellar does a much better job depicting scale, although some of the aerial shots in Dunkirk are absolutely stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

david_a posted:

So apparently that 5 minute single-take shot of Dunkirk that was floating around was from a completely different movie. That... actually explains a lot. I was going into it thinking it would be like a more apocalyptic First Station from Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now on a massive scale - utter confusion, waste, nihilism, punctuated by brief explosions of violence and a pending sense of dread that it would all end catastrophically. I left the theater very, very confused why that shot wasn't in there. I think I'll have to recalibrate a bit to process it fairly, but 'distant' is probably a good way to sum it up.

Wasn't that Atonement?

• Locked thread