Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Probably gonna be real good spectacle but I wish Nolan would do another "small" film sometime, ever. Following, Memento and Insomnia are his best films.

Insomnia isn't that good. The Prestige is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of weird that this movie only goes for 105 minutes when Nolan rarely makes a movie that goes under 2.5 hours and this is a genre that normally screams "3 hour epic". Outside of his debut, only Memento is less than 2 hours and even that is longer than Dunkirk.

RedSpider posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to see this PG-13 war film about the deadliest war in human history.

I hope it's really effective so I can rebut those idiots that hail Hacksaw Ridge as amazing cause it's a war film that's "not afraid to show it like it really is" and ignore the fact that the movie is unnecessarily revelling in the violence to the detriment of the themes of the film.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Hacksaw Ridge owns though

I liked it too, but some of the comments I hear from people in support of it are crazy.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Saw this in Melbourne on the IMAX 4K Laser presentation and it was pretty loving awesome. Count me as a fan. The whole experience was relentless.

One thing re: the ending What's the deal with Hardy landing the plane in enemy territory? Unless I missed something, it seems to make no sense on either a practical or thematic level. Why not just turn around again and land on the allied beach? Why not just eject over the allied beach?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. That ejecting fact is interesting, didn't think about that. It reminds me of one of my favourite sound effects in the movie, the rattling sound of the cockpit window on during climbs/dogfights.

I know I'm using the wrong terminology, but what is the turning circle on a spitfire if you just turn using the YAW and not actually rotating the plane to turn around?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Cool bit explaining the ever increasing tick-tock soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWTQcZbLgY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I didn't see this mentioned in the last few pages, so maybe the timeline thing just confused me, but the pilot that lands in the sea almost drowns and gets rescued by the boat, but the first time you see him crash hes standing on top of his plane and waiving at Tom Hardy... or am I just mixing things up?

Yeah, you mixed things up. He's inside the cockpit with his hand out the window "waving"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Oh, they were in the town? That makes sense when I think about it, but I was of the impression they were all stuck on the sand. The town looked deserted and the defensive line seemed to be right on the edge of the beachfront.

• Locked thread