Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

NOW AVAILABLE ON PC THROUGH ARC GAMES (NO LONGER A WINDOWS 10 EXCLUSIVE) & XBOX ONE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QG6KS3e-54

What’s Gigantic?

Gigantic is a free-to-play shooter notMOBA for Windows and Xbox One, developed by Motiga. After being hailed as real pretty during some of its first showings at PAX all the way back in 2014, suffering a rollercoaster development cycle that saw the game becoming a Windows 10 exclusive, multiple delays and the game losing exclusivity once the Microsoft money well dried up, the game is now about to release on Steam.

MOBAs are so 2015!

Yes they are. A little late to the party, Gigantic is at least lucky enough to have fairly different gameplay than most MOBA. There's no laning phase or critters to grind for gold, no items and all character growth during matches comes from fighting as well as capturing objectives. As your character levels up they are able to choose branching upgrades that add new mechanics to their skills so in practice it plays a lot more like a third person shooter based on area control, with characters that all have abilities that get better during the game.

How can I play it?
Gigantic is currently available on Xbone and on PC through Perfect World's Arc Games client. The official Steam release is scheduled for the 20th of this month and presumably going to be the "real" release.

What’s this about Xbone and PC? Can I play on both?
Yes! The account is valid for both versions of the game, so unlocks and whatnot should be shared between platforms. You can also play the PC version with an Xbox controller, and play cross-platform with your friends and foes.

How does it play?
You can watch the official introduction guide below and there's also a pretty good ingame tutorial. Essentially the game is a third person shooter and area control game. The objective of the game is to gather energy either from killing the enemy team or more importantly from certain "nodes" that become active on the map at different points; The team that gathers 100 energy first then gets a chance to wound the enemy's giant snake/catbird by hopefully hitting a specific weakspot while the opposing team tries to protect it. If the attackers fail then the Guardian recovers their strength and energy must once again be gathered for another attempt. The first team to successfully wound the enemy guardian three times is the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niP3BfYXa5Y

Is it actually good? How F2P is it?
Yes. After going through endless beta tests the game has shaped up nicely and has a neat little roster of heroes. Whether you like to run and gun, snipe, go in for melee kills or support your allies with heals/debuffs and zone control; chances are good you'll find something that tickles your fancy. A bit less ideal is the fact that you need to purchase heroes either with ingame currency or real money, how grindy or not this will actually be is still up in the air (of course there's always a rotation of free heroes to choose from) but at least the game does award you minute amounts of premium currency here and there. That means that you can also potentially buy character/weapons skins just by playing.

You can check all the available heroes and information about all their skills here.

:siren:Be mindful, no matter who you pick it's probably a good idea to try them out in practice. Many moves have extra effects that are not immediately apparent.:siren:

Det_no fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Game came out early so it's now available on Steam.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

LeSquide posted:

Been playing this and liking it a lot. I enjoyed Sven's style of support but rotated off of him; before I spend my hard earned in game currency, are there any other quite so support focused characters?

Sven is probably the most combat-focused (or at least the most versatile) out of all supports. Voden can be really supporty if you spec for healing pools, Aisling is a GREAT mid range support if you spec her for buffs, Xenobia is great for giving the enemy team cancer, haven't played Vadasi but I guess is the most healery of the bunch and Zandora can make her entire team stronger and faster. Griselma is the only one I wouldn't recommend, I love the concept but she is far too weak right now.

Do keep in mind, you can try them all in practice mode.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
New patch is out and it's ok. Apparently balance changes this time around come from before release and don't really include post-launch feedback? Seems odd to me but I guess we'll see.

Oru is good. Seems like a decently strong DPS caster, can poo poo out damage against groups, but barely has any mobility outside his ult so you need to be cautious and try to stay with your team more than usual.

Of note, Motiga seems to be sending an extra starter pack code for some reason so if you have the Ultimate pack you can hook people up (this thread is so dead though that I suggest first asking for a code and then seeing if someone can drop one either here or the giveaways thread in the private servers subforum.)

• Locked thread