Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is beer can chicken horseshit?
No! It flavorizes and stuff.
Yes! It's just roast chicken.
View Results

• Locked thread
pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
....is horseshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oiXjJb-7BY

I've always thought this. Never bothered to do it. If I'm grill-roasting a whole chicken I spatchcock it.

Discuss. Defend this stupid trend if you dare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My dad does it and raves about it all the time. I've never tried it. I don't know, my dad usually makes pretty good food but then again he made galumpkis last time I came over and refused to make a tomato sauce to cover them what the gently caress dad, I don't even know you any more.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I made one a couple days ago. Moist inside (I brined it overnight) but it was some flavorless crap.

Sup galumpki goon. I never had one that I enjoyed eating. Would love to experiment with the fixins however, along the lines of actually browning the beef and maybe adding bacon and stuff to it before rolling it up. Just got hungry for http://allrecipes.com/recipe/220721/butter-garlic-cabbage-and-kluski-noodles/

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Proper beer can chicken:

Get a can of really good beer.

Drink all the beer.

Cook a chicken however the gently caress you want. Feel free to prop it up with the beer can if you want, I'm not your mom.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Just stripped a bunch of meat off the tasteless BCC, chopped it up, fried it in bacon fat till crispy with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, then melted Gorgonzola over it.

Yeah, beer can chicken is amazingly good!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I'm down with beer can chickencheese.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Come to think of it; if I were to roast a chicken whole, vertically, I'd roast it face down rear end up. Heat rises.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

pr0k posted:

Come to think of it; if I were to roast a chicken whole, vertically, I'd roast it face down rear end up. Heat rises.

Dude, then the beer would spill out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just get one of those $8 cone rack things. We made beer can chicken a couple times, but the actual secret is just brining it first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Agreed with the vertical rack. The beer does nothing, the vertical rack gives you 360° of gorgeous crispy skin. If you spatchcock the way you're supposed to, you lose the whole back including the oysters. Not happening

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Just get one of those $8 cone rack things. We made beer can chicken a couple times, but the actual secret is just brining it first.

Drink a beer and fill the empty can half full with water and some rub. Spend 8$ on 6 packs.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I liked that video. Good job Food Network.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Use one of these

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Drink the beer and use a lemon

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Debone chicken from back and ribcage (leave wings and drums), split at back seam, brine in good beer with salt and sugar and rosemary, remove from brine and DRY SKIN THOROUGHLY, rub with (CLARIFIED, whoops, forgot) butter and bake at 450° until thickest part of thigh reads 145, then kill the heat and let it sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Pull it, rest it under loose foil for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 21, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The butter you rub on it has way more water than whatever you dry off first

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yesh just use olive oil and rub on the skin. When you involve butter and poultry, inject that poo poo into the meat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

Yesh just use olive oil and rub on the skin. When you involve butter and poultry, inject that poo poo into the meat.

Forgot the clarified part.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Debone chicken from back and ribcage (leave wings and drums), split at back seam, brine in good beer with salt and sugar and rosemary, remove from brine and DRY SKIN THOROUGHLY, rub with (CLARIFIED, whoops, forgot) butter and bake at 450° until thickest part of thigh reads 145, then kill the heat and let it sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Pull it, rest it under loose foil for 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

Look at this guy carving things best torn apart with bare hands.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fog Tripper posted:

Look at this guy carving things best torn apart with bare hands.

I'm not saying it always gets there in one piece, sometimes some skin "disappears".

Oh, I also roast it on a baking sheet on top of sliced onions and sweet potatoes, so it makes it's own side. Then the drippings left over go in the stock pot with the carcass and remaining bones once everyone is done to make a nice stock for the next morning.

And in case you want to know, here's how to debone a chicken, from my favorite internet butcher: https://youtu.be/0MBYdoSMk1Y

(Except I just stop at 4 minutes there, I don't debone the wings or legs unless I am specifically making a stuffed chicken, which is also nice. https://imgur.com/a/D5Ypt )

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 21, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Suspect Bucket posted:

(Except I just stop at 4 minutes there, I don't debone the wings or legs unless I am specifically making a stuffed chicken, which is also nice. https://imgur.com/a/D5Ypt )

That sir, is a headcrab.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah beer can chicken is some bullshit.

My chicken method:

Spatchcock that poo poo. Heavily salt the skin, put it in the fridge uncovered overnight. Rinse off and pat dry the next day. Season under the skin however you want. Rub the outside with clarified butter and heat my big rear end cast iron pan in the oven at 420. I do 420 because that, at least for whatever temp my oven actually is, is below the smoke point of chicken fat. Pull hot cast iron out (NOTE: use a hot pad dumbass) Put chicken in hot rear end pan skin side down for one minute. Remove, add onions, carrots and celery to pan (with some herbs if you want), place chicken on top skin up and back in oven until it hits 150-155. Remove, rest chicken while you strain the goodness in the pan. Return the liquid, add flour, cook, add stock, cook some more, season to taste and enjoy your bomb rear end chicken.

I hope you remembered to make mashed potatoes.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah beer can chicken is some bullshit.

My chicken method:

Spatchcock that poo poo. Heavily salt the skin, put it in the fridge uncovered overnight. Rinse off and pat dry the next day. Season under the skin however you want. Rub the outside with clarified butter and heat my big rear end cast iron pan in the oven at 420. I do 420 because that, at least for whatever temp my oven actually is, is below the smoke point of chicken fat. Pull hot cast iron out (NOTE: use a hot pad dumbass) Put chicken in hot rear end pan skin side down for one minute. Remove, add onions, carrots and celery to pan (with some herbs if you want), place chicken on top skin up and back in oven until it hits 150-155. Remove, rest chicken while you strain the goodness in the pan. Return the liquid, add flour, cook, add stock, cook some more, season to taste and enjoy your bomb rear end chicken.

I hope you remembered to make mashed potatoes.

I do the same technique and I feel like I stole it from you. I do tend to add some spices under the skin as well tho the secret to great chicken is definitely a terrifying amount of salt.

When I was in junior high my mom briefly ran a catering business and by ran I mean she bought a kingfisher country smoker that could do 600 lbs of meat at a time, taught me to BBQ, and paid me 5 bucks an hour to cook everything. That's a long way of saying god's true chicken is spiced, smoked, and doesn't have a beer can rammed up its rear end like a fetish video. I wish I knew about white BBQ sauce back then.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Croatoan posted:

That sir, is a headcrab.

poo poo, they're on to me.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 22, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i had a dream i accidentally prepared a chicken and removed its spine without realising and had to tie it with string that i think is because i read this thread

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lately I've been big on deboning the chicken entirely and rolling it up into a stuffed galantine thing for roasting.

I could try wrapping the chicken around a beer can I guess (I won't do this.)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Way too much effort.

Not sure how many times this has been posted in this forum (a lot), but it's still right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dude just microwave until tender

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Way too much effort.

Not sure how many times this has been posted in this forum (a lot), but it's still right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLt6G85zC4

If there is a reason to roast a chicken any way but this, I haven't found it yet.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
If you don't have a convection oven (most people don't at home) you don't get that nice browning down underneath. That's why I spatchcock mine (technique stolen from FGR) and otherwise just roast it like Keller does.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

pr0k posted:

If you don't have a convection oven (most people don't at home) you don't get that nice browning down underneath. That's why I spatchcock mine (technique stolen from FGR) and otherwise just roast it like Keller does.

I did actually upgrade to a convection oven but I'll be honest, I haven't really used it out of fear of burning my food and I'm just intimidated by learning how to bake things all over again. So I do mine on a rack on a baking sheet, will it really move the air enough to keep the back from getting gloopy?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Dunno. I think so though, just from looking at Keller's product.

Learn to love the convection. I wish I could afford one. It's just better.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Beer can chicken does nothing a purchased rack won't do for whole birds. But the racks cost money and I'm already a can of beer into the day by the time the charcoal is up to temperature and repurposed recycling fodder is free versus a rack so :dealwithit:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Beer can chicken essentially steams your chicken. Mmmmm lovely steamed chicken with a half-rear end skin. No thanks.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Croatoan posted:

Beer can chicken essentially steams your chicken. Mmmmm lovely steamed chicken with a half-rear end skin. No thanks.

I literally tore the skin off mine and tossed it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i foil chicken when roasting it at the start so i don't need to clean the oven anywhere near as much but it means tossing the chicken skin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i haven't roasted a chicken in months though

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why the gently caress would you need to clean your oven after roasting a chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Why would you get rid of the best part of the chicken? :iiam:

Like, if you were actually worried about mess, take the chicken out when done and lay the skin out to further crisp. Sheesh.

• Locked thread