Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Of The Trees is playing red rocks this weekend as well. It's gonna be like fifteen degrees colder on the mountain than it will be in the parking lot, worth keeping in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Of The Trees is playing red rocks this weekend as well. It's gonna be like fifteen degrees colder on the mountain than it will be in the parking lot, worth keeping in mind

I'm already gonna freeze my rear end off for DJ Snake and Knock2 I'm tempted to not go more then once. Yeah no I'm not doing a 30 degree concert two times in 3 days 😓

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 9, 2023

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

LionYeti posted:

I'm already gonna freeze my rear end off for DJ Snake and Knock2 I'm tempted to not go more then once. Yeah no I'm not doing a 30 degree concert two times in 3 days 😓

Yeah, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEIPR1LNCY

Insanely jealous of the Denver cats this weekend. I'm getting Yheti's set tomorrow night in KC, but it won't be the same without the hi hats snapping through the cold mountain air

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEIPR1LNCY

Insanely jealous of the Denver cats this weekend. I'm getting Yheti's set tomorrow night in KC, but it won't be the same without the hi hats snapping through the cold mountain air

It's not them its Madeon Good Faith Forever tonight that has me thinking. Nevermind, I got handwarmers at Target gonna double up and just go for it.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 9, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmxhYd30zxU

Madeon @ Red Rock Stream. It's absolutely incredible.

edit: it's over now. ended with Shelter, credits and a "SOLVE THIS" message with an array of symbols, presumably teasing the next "era".

well why not fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 10, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw G Jones' Paths Live tonight. He puts on a pretty cool show!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

well why not posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmxhYd30zxU

Madeon @ Red Rock Stream. It's absolutely incredible.

edit: it's over now. ended with Shelter, credits and a "SOLVE THIS" message with an array of symbols, presumably teasing the next "era".

I was there in person I haven’t felt that cold in a while but completely worth it I somehow snagged a ticket in the 6th row an hour before the show for 30 bucks. Blessed night, There was a shuttle bus up to the top when I walked through the parking lot, Hand warmer pack was on sale at target on the way over, and I managed to get to the center the universe blessed my decision to go.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 10, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionYeti posted:

I was there in person I haven’t felt that cold in a while but completely worth it I somehow snagged a ticket in the 6th row an hour before the show for 30 bucks. Blessed night, There was a shuttle bus up to the top when I walked through the parking lot, Hand warmer pack was on sale at target on the way over, and I managed to get to the center the universe blessed my decision to go.
Glad you had a good time!

Grammy nominations are out. Not the Grammys matter at all, but here they are:

quote:

Best Dance/Electronic Recording
Aphex Twin - Blackbox Life Recorder 21f
Disclosure - Higher Than Ever Before
James Blake - Loading
Romy & Fred Again.. - Strong
Skrillex, Fred Again.. & Flowdan - Rumble

Best Dance/Electronic Music Album
James Blake - Playing Robots Into Heaven
The Chemical Brothers - For That Beautiful Feeling
Fred Again.. - Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September 9 2022)
Kx5 - Kx5
Skrillex - Quest for Fire

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Rageaholic posted:

Saw G Jones' Paths Live tonight. He puts on a pretty cool show!

Going to the KC show in January, can't friggin wait. Wish we had EPROM opening, but we do have Mala. Digital Mystikz are like the OG of the modern dub scene, it'll be nice to see some royalty

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Going to the KC show in January, can't friggin wait. Wish we had EPROM opening, but we do have Mala. Digital Mystikz are like the OG of the modern dub scene, it'll be nice to see some royalty
We had Lunice as an opener and I was trying to remember where I knew that name from and it finally came to me halfway through his set - he's half of TNGHT with Hudson Mohawke.

Sayer was another opener, too. He did this track with Rezz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHdruTNzsao

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah his direct support on this tour is nuts. Amon Tobin opened for him at red rocks lol

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Glad you had a good time!

Grammy nominations are out. Not the Grammys matter at all, but here they are:

Our boy Fred also nominated for Best New Artist.
Skrillex and Chem Bros are actually tied currently for most best dance album wins at 3 a piece, so if either wins they're the new champ.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
It's kinda gotta be Rumble, right? Love it or hate it, that track was huge. The boiler room set got 26M views on yt. There's also like a billion bootlegs

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Arms_Akimbo posted:

It's kinda gotta be Rumble, right? Love it or hate it, that track was huge. The boiler room set got 26M views on yt. There's also like a billion bootlegs

Absolutely gonna be Rumble, it broke through to the mainstream way more, the boiler room started and the OMG TBA Coachella set cemented it. Also excited to freeze my rear end off for DJ Snake. Mostly going for Knock2 and What So Not opening but hows Snake live?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionYeti posted:

Absolutely gonna be Rumble, it broke through to the mainstream way more, the boiler room started and the OMG TBA Coachella set cemented it. Also excited to freeze my rear end off for DJ Snake. Mostly going for Knock2 and What So Not opening but hows Snake live?
I only saw DJ Snake once at a festival several years ago, but from what I remember, he brought the energy. Big party vibes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I caught Porter in syd the other night. Last nurture show. I’m a huge fan and even I gotta say: the acoustic/auto tune song was painful and embarrassing. The crowd was not into it.

He went right into Musician/The Thrill/Easy right after and all was forgiven.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I thought the new tdj youtube experience was ok

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is mostly just an 'I'm baked and thinking out loud' post, but sometimes I wonder about certain producers' musical backgrounds and how it informs their writing style. Like, I've always had a strong suspicion that at least one of the Chemical Brothers can play a mean bass guitar; for all their synthesizer collection, sampled and effected bass riffs are heavily leaned on in their catalogue. Similarly, I'm pretty sure one of the guys in Document One plays a stand-up bass; their twisty filter basslines often feature cuts that are very obviously a plucked jazz bass. Any thoughts on this, or more examples of an instrumental background that strongly characterizes and artist's electronic music?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Skrillex’s signature thing is chopped up vocals and he was a singer first. Almost everything he does has his voice in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, this new Rezz & NGHTMRE track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbImVqCCZoY

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGWVGJtgrDs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone listen to this Drumless Edition of Daft Punk's Random Access Memories that just came out? It feels wrong to me because I've been listening to the album with drums for so long, and these songs sound so much better to my ears with drums. Without drums, they feel like they're missing a key component.

It's neat because you get to hear the other instruments accentuated, I guess, but I'm never going to listen to this version ever again when the original exists.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
No idea why they waited 10 years to drop it

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
TikTok probably

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone listen to this Drumless Edition of Daft Punk's Random Access Memories that just came out? It feels wrong to me because I've been listening to the album with drums for so long, and these songs sound so much better to my ears with drums. Without drums, they feel like they're missing a key component.

Not on topic musically, but I felt exactly the same way when I saw The Clientele live a few weeks ago. They frequently record and perform with a cellist, but on this tour it was just the three of them. Most of the time it wasn't too noticeable, but a couple of the songs in the set feature a guitar/cello duet bridge and they didn't do anything to plug the gap. There were 10 or 15 seconds that felt incredibly empty and I could tell the rest of the audience were feeling it too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfdfdZnD9C0

not bad. for edm

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Anybody hasn't listened to the new Pangaea yet?
pretty nice. I know it's not really EDM, but all other dance music threads seem abandoned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ma4tVRLqeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5waKuk2rN8I

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mrfart posted:

Anybody hasn't listened to the new Pangaea yet?
pretty nice. I know it's not really EDM, but all other dance music threads seem abandoned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ma4tVRLqeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5waKuk2rN8I
I hadn't and only listened to the tracks you posted but these are cool! I dig this. I'll have to check out the album.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I still can’t get over how good a show Madeon put on at Red Rocks

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

drat, I'm pretty jealous. I've always wanted to see Madeon I haven't made it happen yet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Some new heat from The Glitch Mob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_gvqr8E5Ek

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It was great if outrageously cold.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone got anything relevant to this thread on your Spotify Wrapped? Skrillex, San Holo and ODESZA were in my favorite artists and all 5 of my top songs came from Quest for Fire. I guess I really liked that album lol

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone got anything relevant to this thread on your Spotify Wrapped? Skrillex, San Holo and ODESZA were in my favorite artists and all 5 of my top songs came from Quest for Fire. I guess I really liked that album lol

Porter Robinson came in on my top list. I'm seeing him in December so I've been listening to all of the set list playlists I find on there.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Rageaholic posted:

It's neat because you get to hear the other instruments accentuated, I guess, but I'm never going to listen to this version ever again when the original exists.

The album gets better the more instruments you remove from it, so they're on the right track, in that sense.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just checked my Apple Music Replay thingie and the big surprise for me was the Nightmares on Wax DJ Kicks album (from 2000!) was my top album of the year, with new chemical brothers being #2 with 1 less play.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

I just checked my Apple Music Replay thingie and the big surprise for me was the Nightmares on Wax DJ Kicks album (from 2000!) was my top album of the year, with new chemical brothers being #2 with 1 less play.
That new Chemical Brothers is on my personal favorite albums of the year list.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

My tops are RL Grime's Play album then ISOxo's album. Had I realized Juelz released an album earlier this year, that would definitely be up there too. It's been on repeat since this weekend, and I'm excited for his Seattle show on 12/2.

I don't tend to listen to songs through Spotify and instead listen to mixes. I do import them into Spotify but they don't track listens for local files.

Top listens are most likely

Rossy - Electric Forest 2023 set
RL Grime - Halloween XII
RL Grime - Halloween XI
Ekali - Awakening Mix 12
Skeler - Night Drive Part III

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rageaholic posted:

That new Chemical Brothers is on my personal favorite albums of the year list.

It's really good. I'm just surprised I had a 23 year old album on rotation that much lol (I think the fact it has a banger Aim song - underground crownholder - on it helped)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

No suprises here big artist of the year was Knock2. Make u Sweat and Gettin Hot just activate something in me. Also Skrillex and Fred Again and Nightmare in the top part.