Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Rezz and Slushii both dropped their first full-length albums at midnight and they're SO loving GOOD :catdrugs:

That Rezz album is very good, the Slushii album didn't click. Can't stand the dude's voice, which is a shame, because he's an awesome producer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dude definitely could do better with someone else on vocals. They're all super processed too, kinda feels like he's unconfident in them. Few EDM producers are 'great' singers, but the good ones know their limits (like Madeon or Rob Swire)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I mean, if we're talking about Ma5trap superstars, it's hard to ignore Feed Me, who's probably amongst the top guys, engineering wise, while also never making boring tunes. Awesome sound design, catchy songs, neat visuals and top-level engineering.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

NOISIA are probably the best overall sound-designers in that space, but Jon Gooch (feed me / spor) is still my fave. I love how he takes cliches and re-imagines them to be totally fresh. He might borrow from other styles, but there's always something really original about the way he spins them. He did Rat Trap and it doesn't sound like anyone else, despite firmly being a 'trap' song.

Same as his dubstep/electro has common elements, but such a distinct flavour. I don't think anyone could really do what he does.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That Lights remix is so damned good. It's kinda replaced the original as the 'real' version for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like PR & Madeon a lot, and Shelter was a great song & tour (those visuals!) but honestly I don't see why people think they're so equivalent. Madeon makes cut up disco and PR seems to be spend half the time trying to get indie pop out of a Sega genesis and the other half trying to distance himself from "Say My Name" era complextro. There's definitely similarities, but for my money Madeon is much more talented and interesting. I like PR a lot, don't get me wrong, but Worlds' lyrics and melodies often hit 'cloying' for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Complextro is possibly the only worse descriptor than Moombahcore.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah it should just be called bouncy electro or something. Moombah is not nearly big enough to have derivatives.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's a very good some. Jamiroquai was tapped for Random Access Memories at some point, but it didn't really pan out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

I can't agree with this more. Flume is awesome when he works with other artists, but when left to his own devices, Flume tries too hard to Flume. Just constant edgelording "aha, bet you didn't expect THAT!" and it ends up sounding like poo poo.

He showed up on JJJ talking about how he has to keep coming up with "new sounds" as people copy what he does instantly. They played one of his example and it was like a phasey ride cymbal that was pitched up and down as it rang out, it just sounded so bad and weird.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can you not dump 50 embeds in a post???

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can you guys edit out the embeds it's killing my pc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ghost voices reminds me of Disclosure

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh yeah, I remember now, I think it was like Bassnectar, Gaslamp Killer, and... Darwin? One of the big Canadian brostep guys I was super into all got cancelled in the same week and I was done.

Datsik, maybe? He was a predator and a lovely person. Also loving weird that he wore a rice farmer hat and ninja garb like MK's Raiden on stage.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I have heard rumors that PL has a pretty solid opium addiction. As in, a photographer posting that as soon as Derek walked on the tour bus the first thing he'd say was "Where is the H?". Grim stuff.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

Well this turned dark in a hurry. Let's pull it out by posting about women in EDM. I'll start with Jen Scaturro, who mainly does additional music for TV but has done a bunch of remixing and production down the years.

https://youtu.be/832YvQHzFqg

REZZ loving rules and is a great example of someone who has cultivated a really specific niche/style of their own.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Okay, so I've listened to Nurture a few times now (and watched Porter's Secret Sky set again) and I'm coming around on it. There are still a few tracks I'm not into and overall I don't think it's nearly as good as Worlds (which I listened to again the other day and I still think is a masterpiece), but there are definitely some earworms on there. For example, I've had Look at the Sky and Musician stuck in my head for days.

I was kinda mixed on it at first, but it clicked for me the second time through. It's a totally different approach to his other music. Some very catchy parts (all of Musician, Mother, Look at The Sky, Something Comforting) and some pretty ridiculous production. The live show is pretty sick, which really solidified it. I wonder what his live shows will look like in the future. The Shelter tour still managed to drop Say My Name, I wonder if we'll hear Spitfire next to these tunes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm a huge DF fan, he's a great producer and seemingly a pretty fun guy. I'm also aware he's a genius marketer as well. This is a super nice thing to do, AND it is custom designed to be shared.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LionYeti posted:

It might just be a carefully designed image but he seems like a super nice dude in general, people don't have a lot negative to say about him.

Totally agree, he does seem like a nice guy, but it does seem like he's very image-aware in general. It's smart IMO.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/mantikmusic/status/1404439720407408653?s=20

I can understand producers liking Nero, Nero are good but I'm not sure Nero alone inspired your favourite producers to make music.

I like NERO a lot, Welcome Reality is probably one of the very few "dubstep albums" that doesn't feel insanely dated. Their production is insanely good.

This tweet should be about Daft Punk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I blanked the word "bass" when I read that tweet. DP are less relevant there than others in the specific "bass music" genre. Flux Pavillion, Skream, Rusko, Caspa etc are more relevant there.

Honestly, Skrillex is probably it for everyone under 30.

Bust Rodd posted:

Skream, Benga, Cookimonsta, Joker, Mt. Eden, Bar-9, Rusko, Caspa… yeah like an absolute gently caress ton tbh, if anything, my recollection is Nero sort of coming in on the tail end of that wave after “Dubstep” and “Bass Music” really started to crash back into each other dubstep tracks started mutating into everything and in reverse everyone always had sick dubstep drops to otherwise really house-y or break-beat-y sets.

Welcome Reality came out 2011 and had a vocalist, various tempos/genres all with consistent feels and a neat concept. 2011 most everyone in the "bass" genre was doing 4 track dubstep EPs. "Bass Cannon" came out the same year.

It was a big record, and not just because it had hits - the production quality and consistency are still really good. Would synthwave still have happened in the same way if not for NERO? That aesthetic is very easy to trace back to a NERO sound.

Claiming that they're every producer's favorites is probably not accurate but it's not wrong to say that they're important and definitely well-respected. You don't get a Skrillex or Porter Robinson remix easily. Or a MUSE collaboration.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

IMO they were among the first to blend in 80s throwback (Reaching Out, Crush On You) with modern production which is synthwwave adjacent. Their visual look is definitely related. Their music was just more dubstep than 4x4.

Imagine for a moment that Reaching Out was 4x4. That’s synthwave.

They’re not as important to the style as Kazinsky but I think it’s relevant.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Holy poo poo he's playing ... Language? do my ears deceive me?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

worked with every 2000’s producer except Skrillex

did Sonny know? he'd have a sixth sense for sexual abuse after touring with an emo band

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Borgore put "suck it bitch" before a drop and layered gagging sounds over basslines. The ultra-sexual stuff is juvenile even through the most generous lens. Sure, it might be a joke, or a persona, or just "his art" but in a post Marilyn Manson world it's a bit more complex.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah it's mostly this. Also he was a dick to my friends when they saw him live, wouldn't allow photos and gave off major diva vibes. Also he served in the IDF.

His choice in album covers is similarly concerning.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wnyddn/what-its-like-being-a-feminist-and-working-for-borgore

Interesting article. He's certainly leaned into the sleazy stuff more than most, but perhaps it's just a facade.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, his production heyday as Feed Me was around the time that a lot of the biggest breakout artists were producing so many different genres that you couldn't really nail them down as 'dubstep producers'. Calamari Tuesday had some great tunes that were well outside the 140 wheelhouse. Blood Red was the tearout dubstep tune to me, though - way more emblematic than anything Skrillex or Nero were making around that time.

I love that he came back and started doing more Spor.

The Feed Me project was started out explicitly as an avenue to do electro/dubstep without it being weird for Spor to suddently shift to EDM from DnB. He took a lot of inspiration from dance punk/electroclash/indie rock too, stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtNdUuC84U

That's probably why he had that big track with Crystal Fighters, and why his "Death By Robot" exists.

Another cool Feed Me detail - the end of "Relocation" has the same melody as "Blood Red" has before the fist drop, despite coming out way after.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There’s no way there won’t be SS stream

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dubstep rules, people need to grow up and learn to enjoy dumb poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Isqa is also known as 'No Mana' who's been in that sort of deadmaut5/rezz orbit for a while

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't really like Rumble very much. Fred's and Skrillex's work with rappers doesn't click for me in general (Purple Lamborghini excluded).

The structure is short and kinda feels like it's been designed as a DJ tool that they can drop in after some more energetic music or do live remixes of. They'll have a "Killers In The Jungle" button that Fred can smash 1000x a second and send everyone's brains to space.

It's fine for that, but I don't really like it as a song or a single.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the percs in the intro is literally just the ProTools click sound

Can't check right now but IIRC Jungle by Fred Again has a sound that is as close to the Ableton metronome sound as makes no difference.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I skimmed the posts on his reddit. There's a handful of announcements for poo poo no one should pay him for, like exclusive access to tickets - so you can pay twice.

Most of them are about "The Bassnectar Project". It is a subtle trick to convince you that one Lorin Ashton (alleged rapist and abuser) is not synonymous with "Bassnectar".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

15. "Still Here (With the Ones That I Came With)" (with Porter Robinson and Bibi Bourelly) 5:03

:popeye:

quote:

11. "Warped Tour '05" (with Pete Wentz) 0:48

:popclap:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it is very obvious which part Porter Robinson made lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

I think I would challenge anyone who says RAM is great to 1. Name all or as many of the the tracks on the album that you can without looking it up, and the 2. name the tracks that they listen to regularly from it still to this day. I think if you repeated that with all their other albums you'd find RAM is the one that people don't remember and don't listen to, even with a recency bias. It's not great, it's okay, but there are some blunders and some bad rehashes.

Lose Yourself to Dance, Touch, Get Lucky, Instant Crush, Doin' It Right, GIORGIO are memorable tracks.

I don't think it's their best but I can name most of it and still have Instant Crush on pretty often and Lose Yourself To Dance is still neat.

You're right that it's relatively weak, but I figure the songs I mentioned are high points and it's pushed Nile Rodger's legacy and gifts to a huge audience. Overall, net positive.

As a response or reaction to EDM becoming massive, it's interesting. They could've easily cashed in with some 909s and vocoder loops, but instead spent a huge amount of time and money making real recordings of all the instruments and some pretty authentic sounding vocals. Not much sampling either. The world was doing huge singles in-the-box (what album is Le7els on? I have no idea) and they went and recorded a disco record like it was 76. It's neat.

I wish that we god ALIVE 2017 very much.

well why not fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 20, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wait until you look up Flume lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Being rich doesn't make you a nepo baby, it just means you have a safety net. Fred would be a nepo baby if his dad worked at Abbey Road or whatever.

An actual nepo baby would be ... any of the people whose names are on the Infinity Pool poster.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah those are all advantages I am aware of. Nepotism is a specifically separate thing, though. It has to be in the industry.

Every second actor has rich parents, but not all are Zoe Kazan, who was basically born into hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yes, the privilege of wealth is functionally very similar, but nepotism has a specific definition. There is a difference between Fred having wealthy parents (big surprise with that accent lol) and someone like LMFAO or Billie Eilish.