Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man I thought I'd never see the descriptor 'complextro' ever again after the blog scene died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Super not EDM but Kimbra on that lineup is genuinely a fantastic performer. If you don't fall in love with her during the show then you're likely dead, she goes all in every single time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The markings on that don't even make sense.

Maximum hydration in terms of amount in the bottle would be higher than that.

Maximum hydration in terms of amount you've consumed would be at the bottom.

Maximum hydration and diluted (with water) brain mean the same thing so why are they polar opposite on the bottle?

I think Rezz should carry on drinking because she's already damaged her brain if she designed this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Where/Who are the new acts in EDM that are bringing something fresh/exciting?

They don't exist.

I'm you, I listened to an awful lot of stuff in these genres 10+ years ago when blogs were just kicking off. You could click through all the blogs and collect dozens of tracks, roll through them at random and then pick out some gems and dispose of the others/leave them sat on a hard drive somewhere. It seems when the US decided dance music was called 'EDM' and everything needed a hard drop poo poo started to go South. I've clicked through a lot of stuff posted in here but nothing's grabbed me like the stuff of old, it's just not as interesting. There's some decent tunes but for the most part they're all derivative, like you say there's a million Flume clones and likewise many other 'famous' producers have dozens of copycats. The 'big room' fiasco a few years ago was particularly hilarious when everyone realised it was all the same poo poo recycled...

https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 27, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

...there's a large chunk of that which is pretty much a classic trance set from 18 years ago. Throwback as gently caress. It's cool that kids are getting some oldschool poo poo played to them though, the US seems to have missed that era of dance music for some reason.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

lmao this old facebook pisstake EDM/dubstep page reappeared after years of inactivity just to post this.

And I went on a trip down memory lane on the page vintage 2013;

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

They did a few festivals last year

Saw them in Birmingham at a little festival called Beyond the Tracks right in the city centre, they were loving incredible. Leftfield were on point too and the Faithless DJ set weren't bad either.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Oh aye, Leftism is superb front to back. R&S was a bit meh overall.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jippa posted:

The prodigy are a national treasure.

I still remember the interview they did with The Guardian I think where they stated that dance music was dead, nothing new was being done and that there was nothing good to listen to. They then released an album which sounded like B sides to their last album.

Their early poo poo is genuinely great but the new stuff is samey as gently caress and they're not self aware enough to do anything different. Live they're incredible though but then they're mostly firing out classics at you...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still think Invaders Must Die is one of their best albums and The Day is My Enemy has a ton of jams on it. Fight me.

Eh, I can take or leave Invaders. AONO wasn't great either. Day is just b sides from Invaders and poo poo ripped from older albums, I just felt like I'd heard it all before and due to that I was less enthralled.

Those albums have some decent tracks but they're not back to front classics. The Day is my Enemy was the one released after they'd dissed everything else around at the time which was loving hilarious because the few years leading up to 2015 were loving STACKED full of superb dance music and you'd have to be some kind of oval office to pretend like there was nothing else good being produced at the time.

I feel like you're younger than I am, I've seen and heard it all before... I mean I guess it's because those first three albums were groundbreaking at the time and then of course everything that follows was just an evolution. I guess I just get bored of hearing slight variations of the same thing repeatedly?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 19, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Walrus posted:

the new wolfgang gartner is amazing. like 2010 injected straight into my jugular. love it.

I wasn't convinced initially but it's a grower for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xanM49WjsCY

Also is it just me or does the descriptor 'complextro' sound incredibly dweeby? I imagine a skinny pale dude in a trilby any time I read it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 25, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shout out to the super 90s visuals on that video. Song is gash though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's not terrible, it's just exactly the same as every other track they've done for the last 20 years.

Thank you.

It's not bad but it doesn't do anything. As much as I dislike their newer stuff, it was at least bombastic and in your face, this sounds like a lead-in for a bigger track almost. It's an intro I'm guessing, or a b-side of an earlier album again (this seems like a habit).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 20, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Orbital are great live, it's weird how different their tunes sound live in that it's SUPER loving LOUD.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

SD87 posted:

Justice’s woman worldwide dropping friday mother fuckers. That poo poo is gonna bang

I pre-ordered it after hearing the first teaser aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it feels like it's been forever already. Also nice that this may hopefully silence those dickheads suggesting that the last 2 albums weren't worth poo poo (they were loving great you morons).

"it's not exactly the same as the last album, I just wanted to listen to the exact same loving thing until forever, this is awful!"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Goddamn Woman World wide is good

I finally got my CD copy for the car and listened to it on a trip this weekend. Man it's loving outstanding, they way they've woven multiple tracks together from different albums is superb and I found myself just singing along the whole time. The new WWW versions of tracks as well, excellent. I think I heard Love S.O.S. layered into tracks that don't actually have it named on the album too, it pops up in at least 3 tracks.

Just so good. If anything I hope it makes people go back and realise that Woman and AVD are excellent albums in their own right and that not getting more of the same in a Cross 2 album isn't a bad thing at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LionYeti posted:

Woman Worldwide has shot Justice into my bucket list of bands to see live, if the set is half as good as WWW I'll be thrilled.

Yeah I was just sat there thinking about how good it'd be live. Also how is Chorus now a complete dancefloor bomb?! :derp:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Y’all know A Cross the Universe exists and is still their best live album right

There's only 2 live albums... ;)

WWW is more cohesive than ACtU though and no audience so is my preferred.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Your opinion is acknowledged but I riposte with the fact that the version of Stress on WWW is a sin against God and should send the group to music jail.

I put it to you that Stress has never been good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Justice has just released the WWW version of Love S.O.S. along with a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6tNlYI3MdY

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Prodigy innovating by recycling tracks again I see (Light up the sky). Fans are gonna love it because it's the same poo poo in a slightly different package though...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

Let me guess without clicking on it - repeated driving synth guitar line, brief pause, someone shouts the title?

Ha, you think they're lazy enough to have a formula these days? You're not 100% right but man that track could be off any of the last 3 albums, there's an awful lot of pilfering of old presets and sounds going on. If I were a cynic I'd say Howlett is raiding a pre-made folder of tunes and sending them to the label for release.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well yeah, it's loving boring. If everything sounds similar what's the point in making anything new?

I've defended them in the past but when they were interviewed by The Guardian and they panned the entire dance music industry saying "nobody's making anything new..." it's a bit rich to just release the stuff that sound similar to that which you've put out before. I hate hypocrisy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean I'm all for innovation and developing sounds and such, but The Prodigy's one of those bands that has a sound I absolutely love and one that I don't mind them not changing much.

My issue is they themselves say that nobody is innovating. ...only to go about and release stuff that sounds like B-sides or VIPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/17/the-prodigy-the-day-is-my-enemy-oasis-blur

quote:

“Dance music at the moment is so loving dead,” spits Liam Howlett, still with his trademark Romford Thom Yorke mullet – and still with his trademark venom. “Producers are too safe, they rely on being retro. It’s loving bollocks. There’s no pushing forward any more.”

Meanwhile, Maxim – the more relaxed of the trio – interjects with the kind of soundbites that music editors dream of. “Yeah, the dance scene has flatlined and we’re the spike.”

“I don’t hear anyone out there that sounds like us,” boasts Keith. “They can try but it’s in the sonics, the whole carcass of the song. The way it attacks you is so well engineered. No one else can do that. They don’t have the ability to make that noise.”

It's the ego in this review that made me realise how up their own arseholes they'd disappeared. Liam's comment about nobody pushing forward just cements the fact he hasn't actually listened to any music in the past 10 years, there's LOADS of new and exciting things out there but he doesn't care because he's only listened to the most middle of the road stuff that gets played on the radio. Maxim's comment about the dance scene is even funnier because if anything, dance music has become insanely popular in recent years to the point where we're hiring out loving cruise liners to hold week long music festivals. Keith's comment rounds it out nicely, Liam mentions everyone's too safe, relying on being retro and then Keith says nobody sounds like them which suggests he knows they've not exactly strayed very far from their formula (is this not that very same 'being safe' Liam was on about?!).

First 3 albums were great but after that I hit my limit and everything that followed has been the same old.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jippa posted:

They are cemented as legends no matter what any one thinks of their recent output. Liam has forgotten more about music than most producers know.

First bit I agree with, I'm never going to suggest what they produced to begin with wasn't wildly ahead of the game for a long while. The second bit sounds a little too much like you're gargling his nuts though, he definitely knows a lot about production, it's just that he no longer puts in the effort.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

HJB posted:

Anyway, we all agree this is bad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_z_lZ69pJ0

These new tracks all sound like b-sides from 2/3 albums ago.

*edit: I realise this discussion is boring but then so are these tracks. I've often wondered about 'fans' of stuff and what it would actually take for them to admit that maybe the thing they're a fan of isn't as good as it once was. There was a point in my life I bought everything Nine Inch Nails put out but by With Teeth I was out, that album was poo poo and stuff that followed was equally as bad. I feel like this isn't the norm when it comes to fandom, the default position is just accept being spoon-fed poo poo because you're already invested in the club.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 15, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well in the case of Nine Inch Nails, for example, they're one of my favorite bands of all time and I've loved pretty much everything they've put out (if you quit right after With Teeth, you missed Year Zero which is one of their best albums by far), but while I could appreciate that they were getting more experimental on their latest album, I wasn't a fan of much of it. Usually if they put out a release, it goes on my favorite albums of the year list, but this one won't and that's okay. They've put out so much other material that I adore.

My last NIN purchase wasn't With Teeth, you misunderstand. With Teeth was just the point where I realised maybe this is where the band's starting to lose it, it was OK but not a patch on earlier stuff. Last I bought was The Slip (3 albums later) which had a couple of nice tracks but everything else on there was a big fat meh and not really doing much that hadn't been done before. Ghosts was actually the best thing Trent had done since The Fragile but then surrounded it on both sides with similar sounding stuff as With Teeth again.

I dunno, maybe I just get bored of artists more than most people or maybe people are just far more tolerant of having very samey things pushed at them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ytisomauq posted:

I love new Chemical Brothers but the lyric loop is jarring :-(

...and what's with the loving noise on the chorus that's like twice as loud as the rest of the track??

It just made me want to go listen to this Tiga/Kolsch track instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqeyh-eoQJQ

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Did this thread ever discuss just how ridiculous Noisia's Outer Edges album is?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Spinning through the album on youtube I've seen a few comments on different videos saying "this seems like it's a parody of <x> genre or track" which is an incredibly weird thing to say. Prodigy aren't known for parody tracks so suggesting they've produced something to mock other tracks or genres is odd to say the least.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gesaffelstein tease track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3YPik6HTpw

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Post whatever, if anything it keeps heads more open minded to poo poo. Specific genre threads tend to get pretty insular.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Autodidakt is still about and seems to still be into producing electro stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCoDeDKB6zc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is the best Magnetic Man track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-s5FtIXyw

I feel like it was actively a mistake to put this on the start of the album because it makes the listener expect more than they actually get with that album which although is great, never peaks like this again. It's also the only track on the album that hasn't aged really poorly which is hilarious considering it's a classical track.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 21, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

12+ years ago this dude started putting stuff out on myspace. It took 10 years to get an album and by that point he'd switched up his style, fans whined and whined so he's put out a 2nd album which should've been his first... There's a lot of unreleased stuff on there that I heard him play live on the 2 occasions I got to see him years ago. If synths and arpeggios are your thing, take a listen.

http://smarturl.it/Danger-Origins

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The first album grew on me quite a lot, it 'clicked' with me when I was walking home from town on a nice warm night quite late at night with my nice headphones on. This is a treat, very, very late but is very much going to be appreciated by his older fans because a lot of this was only available via lovely mix rips at like 192kbps or less, my old hard drive has a few of them.

The artwork is indeed similar to his old stuff, in old interviews he says he has a recurring dream about a dark pyramid in the jungle and the character he dresses up as... This is oooooold art he did himself:

Also I forgot I've seen him 3 times, twice in the UK at Bristol and Manchester and once in Paris at the opening of a new museum/arts place.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 4, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Can someone tell me why the hell this album exists? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oifKRpaNpHs

It's orchestral versions of a bunch of Justice tracks and other Ed Banger stuff, seemingly for the label's 15th anniversary? It's just such a curiosity. Why go orchestral?

I'm digging it, I just don't understand how this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62m-GvKIFs

It exists because the French are mental. Also there's a bunch of other classic dance tracks been done like that and I guess they wanted to show off a bit? The Vladimir Cauchemar Aulos track is hilarious anyway so hearing it as a full orchestral piece even if short is amazing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

French electronic duo Justice have announced they will debut a new space opera titled Iris at SXSW this year.

Iris was directed by Andre Chemetoff and Armand Beraud. It is the film adaptation of Justice’s Woman Worldwide live show that toured throughout 2017 and 2018. According to IndieWire, the film was "recorded in an empty and invisible space" and "focuses on the impressive production and music" from the album and live show.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Paperback Writer posted:

Yeah, just saw his new show at Coachella and it was fantastic. Great sound quality and gets you grooving. Also just read this interesting article about the show and his use of “vantablack”, the blackest of blacks:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/24/18512555/gesaffelstein-coachella-performance-vantablack-monolith?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Haha, that's so incredibly Gessafelstein. loving Balmain outfit and everything...

Since you were there I'm assuming he played the classics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, I guess he got used to producing for those kinda artists and rolled with it. I bought up some of his old stuff in remembrance.