Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Anonymous John posted:

Deadmau5 is boring AF live (seen him twice with a show full of production) because he is foremost a producer and never developed a sense of how to make a 90 minute set engaging and flow properly.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It wasn't that tour. It was an afterparty after a festival. I saw mau5 at the festival too (so twice in one night) and he wasn't very good at the festival either. Although he didn't have the Cube with him for either show, and the first time I saw him (in 2010), he was using Cube 1.0 then and that was one of my all-time favorite shows.

I don't think he has the ability to put on an exciting show without the visual component, from what I've seen.

My dude, I think you just like gesaffelstein dark down tempo stuff more than you like deadmau5's style of progressive stuff.

Separate the show experience out from the music here. Rezz plays pretty much the same set every where she goes, mau5 does the same, because they both play mostly their own music (which is what people have paid to see). Deadmau5 strings together his popular tracks, rezz does exactly the same.

For me? Rezz is probably a lot of fun but I don't feel that there is much range in her style. Doesn't even compare to the likes of Strobe. Highly recommend checking labelmates enzo bennet, no mana and draft. Forward thinking progressive, a new twist on edm and a sound palette not really found in the genre belong to each respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wouldn't say I don't enjoy deadmau5's style. I've enjoyed his studio stuff for several years now, and I enjoyed the first time I saw him a great deal. I just don't think his style translates well to a live environment all by itself, I guess. If it's the full A/V sensory overload package? Then yeah, I love it. But if it's just him without any real stage presence then it bores me to tears.

Any of Rezz's tunes get me pumped literally every time I listen to them, whether it's in my car or at home without any visual accompaniment. Some of deadmau5's tracks do that for me too (like all of 4x4=12, Strobe, I Remember, etc.), but most of those songs are at least 5 minutes long (if not double that) and there's a lot of buildup in them. Personally I enjoy progressive stuff (hell, post-rock is one of my favorite genres so it's not like I'm averse to long songs with lots of buildup), but Rezz's tunes have no padding whatsoever. They just get right to the loving point and I feel like they work better for the whole EDM live environment by and large. Obviously mau5 has a few of those too, but that makes up, what, 15 or 20 minutes of an hour and a half long set?

Your point about rezz's tracks of no padding hits home, and is probably one of my issues with her stuff. I like rising and falling energy levels, complex builds and clever little details. Matt Lange's 'My love aside' is a great example of one of these smart tracks.

E: actually we have a drum and bass duo over here called sigma who are a bit like this. They make a bunch of radio friendly drum and bass but by far and away the most fun tracks of theirs to listen to live are the ones that wouldn't work on the radio or in a personal listening environment.

RE Feed Me. His drum and bass days means he knows how to make really interesting patches, and that can make his stuff super fun to listen to for me. I do think it can be a touch abrasive though too, little too much grit and hiss for my tastes sometimes. Noisia is my favourite in that space.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 24, 2017

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Deadmau5 and noisia, two great flavours together. Can't wait to see this live tonight.

https://youtu.be/FzPITNQHOic

So where I live we have one of Europe's big super clubs, and last year Flume came to town. Now that more poppy stuff usually isn't my bag, but I have to say I was surprised and impressed.

I've always been a fan of strong melody in songs, which is why i can stand to listen to someone like avicii even if he is pretty crap in every other aspect except melody writing (seriously, I saw him on a night he was headlining and someone had turned the bass up on his output because that kick was mashing and distorting against a limiter). Madeon and Flume are two good producers and I like them for easy listening, though I have little love for porter robinson.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

MrSargent posted:

Have a great time man! It's interesting you like Madeon but not Porter considering they have released a song together and just finished a massive tour together. I got to see them in San Francisco and it was one of the best shows I have ever been to.

I like Madeons glitchy complextro. Porter blew up because of language and I just find that song rather obnoxious for some reason.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Dude was a huge introvert and reportedly took Xanax a lot to manage his anxiety. ‘Avicii’ was just a character to help him deal with being on stage. Actually a pretty quiet dude.

I will miss him, there were some great tracks he played live that presumably will never see release now.

https://youtu.be/ANGN6cUgT64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Mau5 has finally released this collab he did with pendulum’s rob swire. He’s been sat on this for months now and I’ve been impatiently waiting for it’s release.

https://youtu.be/NESCd6IFfLM

Perfect blend of melancholy and energy imo. The man knows how to write melody.