Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Thanks for starting up this thread! I remember looking for a similar thread a while back and surprised there wasn't really anything. I'll have to listen to all the links posted in here.

I'm an awful person who's still really into trap and future bass, and I've been gravitating more towards the slower, melodic stuff lately. I've listened to the Ekali Awakening Mix Vol. 2 way too many times at this point, and I'm still not sick of it. Ekali did a really amazing job with it, and he maintains the right vibe throughout the mix.

Beyond that, I've been listening to a lot of Jai Wolf, and I'm excited to see him again here in a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jai Wolf loving rules. He doesn’t have a huge discography, but I feel like every tune he puts out is an instant classic. I almost saw him live once but I had to leave, so I’m bummed I haven’t gotten to see him :( I’m sure he puts on an incredible show.

Agreed! His remix of Ease My Mind is what got me into him, but he's really found his sound in his melodic future bass stuff. His Electric Forest set was beautiful, and got me emotional~ :shobon:

Chief McHeath posted:

I've been wanting a thread like this in here for a while but was far too lazy to make one, thanks OP.

Happy that Bassnectar made it in there as well. Love his stuff, first started listening in 2009/10ish and first saw him at a tour stop in 2011 in a sweaty rear end nasty club. I'm not one of those "follow Bassnectar everywhere he goes" types, but if he's at a festival I am, believe I'm at his set over anyone else. This year's NYE 360 was the first of his curated events I've seen and I was blown away.

Totally agreed on Bassnectar. He played my 2nd favorite set at Electric Forest, and I completely understand the love that he gets. I started listening to him two years ago and have been a fan, and while I was constantly told I had to go see him, I was worried that he wouldn't live up to the hype. Nope, he lived up to it and blew me the gently caress away. I'm with you, while I won't be the guy who camps the rail at the beginning of the day to be in the front for Bassnectar, I sure as hell will be there dancing awfully.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

https://open.spotify.com/album/3VzsvmhnUb9OZ59bq2aoNZ

The new ODESZA album dropped last night (their first in 3 years). It's really not grabbing me like In Return did :( I still play In Return all the way through at least once a month. It's just amazing song after amazing song after amazing song. This new one, though...it's not like it's terrible or anything, but the ratio of standout songs to meh ones compared to In Return is spotty at best.

For example, one of the best songs on here is Late Night, which they already released as a single months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqK0pqV-c9c

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it :(. I'm on my third listen of it and it's been fantastic. The section of the Intro to Boy is really good imo. Then again, I really like Line of Sight (though it did have to grow on me) which some people say sounded too similar to The Chainsmokers sound.

I never really gave In Return a real listen to though, and I'll have to do that. I've also gone through and listened to some of the songs posted here I haven't heard before and it's been pretty spot on. Thanks guys!

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I'm sure some of this material would be a ton of fun to witness live, it just doesn't really work as an engaging album for me, whereas In Return covers both bases.

I ended up listening to In Return, and I've surprisingly heard most of these songs. It's definitely a really well done album too. I feel like they managed to capture a similar sound/vibe with their new album.

Regardless, Odesza is really amazing and I need to experience their music live. I've been wanting to see their Red Rocks live show, especially since I've seen videos of their trap-ish song Bronko.

Some relatively new releases that I've enjoyed

Big Gigantic - Odssey Pt 1 (Krane Remix) - https://soundcloud.com/biggigantic/odyssey-pt-1-krane-remix
Krane is an amazing producer and I love what he did with this, especially considering it's a short intro to Big G's album.

Luca Lush - A Boy Brushed Blue Living in Black and White - https://soundcloud.com/lucalush/luca-lush-a-boy-brushed-blue-living-in-black-and-white
It's good~

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2V0M6jzjuk

Illenium's new album came out the other day and caught me totally off guard. I didn't know what to expect from it but I think it might be one of my favorite albums of the year. I've listened to the whole thing like 3 times since the first time I listened to it yesterday.

Also I'm still loving baffled by how this song (which came out months ago) isn't a top 40 megahit by now because it just seems so obvious that it should be. It's infectious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfjBifqK_E

I've been meaning to listen to the album, so thanks for the review on it. I'll have to give it a listen to it today!

I relistened to RL Grime's 2016 Halloween mix, and I'm really looking forward to this year's Halloween mix. It's such a fun mix series.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Odesza are really amazing and deserve their success. I liked that rendition, but it did lack a lot of the energy from the original song.

RL Grimes Halloween VI
https://soundcloud.com/rlgrime/halloween-vi

Krane also released his album today too. I gave it a once over and loved it so far. Chemicals is fantastic. I'm not sure how to feel about PCP. The original was kinda loving weird with the whistles and blaring, but it grew on me.
https://soundcloud.com/krane/sets/fallout

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

That was totally not what I was expecting them to do with that song, holy poo poo :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiLwFPQ2ObA

Saw Tokimonsta at a festival today and she was dope. Tomorrow I'm seeing Boombox Cartel and RL Grime at that same festival, then going to an Illenium afterparty after the festival, omg :pcgaming:

Voodoo Festival? Enjoy!

If RL Grime starts playing his club action+coral castlez mashup, will you record it for me? I need to relive it again~

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

A bit late to the party, but I ended up going to Decadence NYE CO and it was a loving blast. I really enjoyed Bassnectar's set, and while I didn't I didn't originally care for his remix of Pineapple (or the original), it was so much fun live.

I started listening to his Immersive Mix to ~recapture the magic~, and they're both really solid. I wish he would post more mixes online.
Immersive Mix Side 1
Immersive Mix Side 2

Also really loved Odesza for the ball drop, but I was too far back to actually see their live performance lol. I think I'll just have to go see Odesza at Red Rocks and Bassnectar at his Bass Center show.

Edit: Also I'm a bit sad that RL Grime's Nova album didn't come out during his tour, and is slated for "ealy 2018" now. Hopefully that means ~this month~

blahz fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 9, 2018

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

What So Not put out an album today, and I liked it. Warlord and Goh were initial standouts from the unreleased songs. He's done pretty well I think since his split with Flume. I really liked his Trust EP and his remix of Innerbloom is probably my favorite song. I was doing a lot of background listening at work, so I'll have to give it a good listen this weekend.

Kasbo also released mix 2 of his Cry / Dance mix. I really liked the first one, and the second is well done too.
https://soundcloud.com/kasbomusic/cry-dance-mix_02

Edit: Minnesota's Curio EP also dropped. Real good.

blahz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 9, 2018

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Haha that's ridiculous. I think you're right about people expecting a more Porter sounding set.

That lineup seems really great! Have fun at Bassnectar.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I'm sure my last few posts ITT have all been about Rezz, but she's putting out a new album in like 2 months!

https://twitter.com/OfficialRezz/status/1002580945831002113

That's some great news! Going to be seeing her around then, so I'm excited to hear the new material live.

Have you listened to any 1788-L stuff? I've only listened to a few things but I've been really digging it. Has a similar dark vibe to it.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I've heard Rezz drop a couple of their tracks in her sets, and I love that Sound Of Where'd U Go mashup they were a part of with Illenium and Said The Sky, but nothing beyond that.

Any specific tracks I should check out?

Sound of Where'd U Go and his remix of Virtual Self - Particle Arts are what drew me in.

He just put out a remix of Skrillex & Poo Bear - Would You Ever and while it's not bad, I'm not feeling it as much as those two.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Is this the Rezz x L-1788 song? I'm really really liking it. There's a conflict with Rezz at Shambhala with Mr. Carmack, but I think I'm leaning towards Rezz.

Hex Cougar - X / Love got released today too and it's really good. He's probably one of my favorite producers right now.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

God I'm so excited for his album.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

infinite99 posted:

Good Faith was amazing and I wish I could experience it again!

I didn't want to spoil myself from watching Porter's set tonight because I wanna be surprised when seeing it in Seattle this Friday. Is anyone else going to the Friday show in Seattle? I'm going alone and it'd be cool to have people to hang out with! I also have an extra ticket that I need to sell so that's also available.

A friend and I are going to the Porter show in Seattle! We haven't finalized the time we're meeting up but I'll shoot you a PM.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Went to go see RL Grime Halloween Night at the Mission Ballroom and it was one of the best shows I've been to in a very long time. The fittingly Ultra Wide curved video wall had this really interesting 2000's era clip art/old timey cartoon aesthetic. The Lasers kicked rear end and the songs from Play really work in a live setting like Breach. Also its just unfair Denver has one of the best outdoor EDM venues in Red Rocks and one of the best indoor venues in Mission.

I'm super jealous! Was tempted to take a cheap frontier flight out to Denver to catch this, but the scheduling never aligned. I've had his Play album on repeat since it released, and I hope he announces a phase 2 at the start of the new year.

He also posted his annual Halloween mix this last Saturday. Halloween XII - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYo-F3bLj3o

Edit: oof bad editing when changing thoughts midsentence~

blahz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 1, 2023

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

LionYeti posted:

I'm tempted to go to Madeons Good Faith Forever but its outside at Red Rocks and temperatures are going to be in the 40s. Is it that good and that worth it to go see this show?

Was curious if you ended up going and if so your thoughts?

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

LionYeti posted:

It's on Thursday. Secondary market tickets are still relatively high. There's snow up there tonight and I still am waffling on going.

:doh: For some reason I had it in my head it was last weekend. I’m not running on all cylinders in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone got anything relevant to this thread on your Spotify Wrapped? Skrillex, San Holo and ODESZA were in my favorite artists and all 5 of my top songs came from Quest for Fire. I guess I really liked that album lol

My tops are RL Grime's Play album then ISOxo's album. Had I realized Juelz released an album earlier this year, that would definitely be up there too. It's been on repeat since this weekend, and I'm excited for his Seattle show on 12/2.

I don't tend to listen to songs through Spotify and instead listen to mixes. I do import them into Spotify but they don't track listens for local files.

Top listens are most likely

Rossy - Electric Forest 2023 set
RL Grime - Halloween XII
RL Grime - Halloween XI
Ekali - Awakening Mix 12
Skeler - Night Drive Part III