Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ImpAtom posted:

If there's one thing I know for sure it is that Goku wins every fight.

Except Tien.
And Jackie Chun
And Raditz
And Vegeta
And Hit
And Beerus
And Cell
And King Piccolo
And Tambourine
And Captain Ginyu
And Kami
And Mercenary Tao
And General Blue
And Yamcha.

When did he lose to Hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Neito posted:

When did he lose to Hit?

when hit killed his rear end in Super because goku put a hit out on himself

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neito posted:

When did he lose to Hit?

He lost to Hit in the initial tournament (and then threw to Monaka).

Also technically when Hit killed him but that's kind of iffy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Anime Hit is superior

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mr.Acula posted:

What about horny GT Goten?

Oops, I completely forgot about him in GT.

*ahem*

Kid Goten (Buu)
Kid Goten (Super)
Teen Goten (End of Z)
Teen Goten (DBS: Superhero)
Horny Goten (GT)

We got him to five slots, folks, miracles do happen.*

*just ignore the fact that all five versions have the exact same move set

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Professor Wayne posted:

quote:

In fact, he may even have felt more obligated to defeat Cell sooner, knowing that the weight of the Earth was on his shoulders.

lol at the idea would this happen if Vegeta was the main character when Goku, the actual main character, threw Cell a senzu bean

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah that article is dumb, but there is some fun potential in a What If where Vegeta does just kill Cell because he decides he's more interested in finally settling things with Goku than in letting Cell reach Perfect

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah that article is dumb, but there is some fun potential in a What If where Vegeta does just kill Cell because he decides he's more interested in finally settling things with Goku than in letting Cell reach Perfect

Something something Buu kills everyone.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he kills perfect cell but then krillin kills vegeta

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kurui Reiten posted:

I feel like Goku being around would help keep Vegeta focused enough on self improvement that he would be less tempted by Babadi.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

what happens is this vegeta kills imperfect cell but then goku gathers the dragon balls and wishes cell back because he wants gohan to train more

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Taking a real crack at this:

Vegeta kills Semi-Perfect Cell, Trunks is ecstatic, praises him endlessly. Everyone else on the Outlook is impressed with Vegeta. The praise goes to his head, and as soon as Goku and Gohan exit the chamber, Vegeta challenges him without assessing his new strength. Goku, also impressed with Vegeta for beating Cell, but disappointed in not being able to test his strength against Cell's perfect form, happily agrees.

Goku stomps the living poo poo out of Vegeta, completely destroying his pride. Upon hearing that Gohan has power far surpassing either of them, Vegeta refuses to believe it and storms off, pissy as gently caress. Trunks apologizes for his father and follows him, because what else is he going to do?

Android 16 eventually finds Goku, but Gohan insists on protecting his father, and ends up breaking 16. Feeling he's not a bad guy, they take him to Bulma, who fixes him up. Android 18 just hangs out with them, because what's she going to do? Eventually Krillin figures she's depressed without her boyfriend, has them wish back 17, events proceed as normal.

Goten is conceived, and with Goku around Chi-Chi has no reason to try to change at all, but all that ends up happening is that Goten reaches SSJ earlier. Vegeta trains Kid Trunks more because KAKAROT AND HIS SON CAN'T BE ALLOWED TO REMAIN THE STRONGEST, and Trunks is essentially his Gohan replacement.

Hercule, having never had his moment against Cell, remains a moderately famous martial artist. No one renames a city after him or anything though. Videl becomes a top tier martial artist, but not a famous one because she's not nearly as extra as her father. Gohan never becomes Great Saiyaman without Videl patrolling the city and keeping an eye out for trouble makers, because it's not "her" city.

Babidi rolls in, no one is quite as strong as they could have been, and Videl doesn't get to fight Spopovich because without Gohan's training she doesn't have the same edge to get to the top 16. Instead, 16 enters, because 18 wants that prize money and she coerces him into it. Spopovich gets the living poo poo kicked out of him by 16, who can't even have his life energy drained.

Shin talks to Piccolo, and before they can make a plan, Spopovich got beat and Babidi's own plan is collapsing a bit. Babidi says "gently caress it", sends Poipoi and Yakon to get the energy Spopovich (and Yamu) failed to. They get beaten up and chased back to the ship, where events proceed nearly as normal until Babidi turns Vegeta, who, reaching SSJ2, is substantially more powerful than anyone else. Shin ends up getting killed because unlike in canon, Vegeta never had time to let his rival boner cool, and kills anyone who gets in the way of him finally fighting Kakarot to the death. Shin gets in the way because that's what Shin does.

All Vegeta wants to do is beat on Goku, and Goku holds his own for a bit, but he can't actually beat SSJ2 Majin Vegeta. Gohan, seeing his father get brutally beaten, and his green dad and Krillin stoned by Dabura, reaches SSJ2. He does the same thing as with Cell, drawing out the battles too long; even if he beats Vegeta and Dabura, Buu is still revived.

No one has the power to stop Buu for good. Without Hercule as a moderating influence, or SSJ3 Goku to stall him, or Fusion as an emergency (since Goku didn't learn it while dead for seven years), regardless of what happens next, Buu ends up killing everyone. Possibly, once dead, they can contact New Namek from the afterlife and ask them for help; they can learn Fusion, or fuse every Namekian into Piccolo, or make a plan of some sort, because whether or not Babidi is still in charge of Buu, Buu's not going to go on Kid Buu's rampage.

There are multiple ways for Fat Buu to be stopped at this point, and he probably would be one way or another, but it would be way messier than in canon. Plus Beerus would be dead.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If Vegeta was the hero of the Buu Saga he'd drop the potara and Goku would have to fuse with Gohan.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Dragonball should have a new tabletop game. I've tried my own hand at it with Friendship, Effort, Victory, but that was more 2000s shonen. And that tends to be the go-to among shonen fans since it gives better group dynamics. It would be awesome to see someone really try to do Dragonball specifically and not do it like the 90s one. The 90s one...wasn't good. A big miss from the guy who made Teenagers From Outer Space (Ursei Yatsura game), Mekton Zeta (Gundam), and...Cyberpunk 2020.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Anime Hit is superior

He took out the donuts.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Kurui Reiten posted:

buu would never be released if either goku or vegeta dies in a battle to the death prior to the buu arc

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tonetta posted:

buu would never be released if either goku or vegeta dies in a battle to the death prior to the buu arc

Iirc Goku fighting Majin Vegeta just drastically accelerated the process, the plan was always to suck off thousands of piss weak mortals that were only strong by Earth’s standards. And really, since the Supreme Kai inside of Buu is now segregated from Kid Buu and he did a lot of work in the Moro it’s just another in a long sequence of events that worked out for the best despite being made of short sighted idiotic choices.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Just getting in line with the other core characters. Honestly Goten is probably the dude who gets the short end of this stick not really having any dedicated story to themselves. He's always just Trunk's pal and Gohan's talented but undefined younger brother. You'd get what 2 versions? Kid Goten and Teen Goten and neither has anything particularly unique about them might as well just be Goku skins.

I think the series missed a trick by not having Goten lean into being a junior fight junkie like his dad, given how similar his original design was to a kid Goku.

Like have him going off on weird gotta get stronger (non saiyaman) space adventures aping the original dragon ball series while Goku does the universe's strongest poo poo with Vegeta, etc.

Maybe then also have the occasional crossover when bad poo poo really goes down and there's some B tier baddies that need Gohan/Goten to push their poo poo in.

Bleach had the one, true, all powerful main character and, despite its flaws, always managed to find something or someone for the ensemble cast to go up against.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goten makes sense as a member of a Gohan-centric series by giving you a tiny kid Goku to have hanging around contrasting with the now-older Gohan. When Goku is back though you just... have Goku. You don't need Goku Also.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gt has a lot of faults but goten clearly being vegeta's favorite member of the son family was pretty cute. hes trunks's best friend so it makes sense that vegeta would be a bit more tolerant of him.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Goten makes sense as a member of a Gohan-centric series by giving you a tiny kid Goku to have hanging around contrasting with the now-older Gohan. When Goku is back though you just... have Goku. You don't need Goku Also.

I dunno, like Gohan clearly has a whole separate life to Goku and they probably barely speak.

With the way the super manga is presenting Goku now, he's more like an ensemble with Vegeta (and now Broly).

Even if Goku is around I could see a mini Goku working because it would give him someone to bounce/escalate his silly super excited punchman persona off of.

That seems to be Vegeta at the minute but it always comes across as a bit of a drag given Vegeta is a dick about everything most of the time.

Like Vegeta clearly understands Gokus drive but he'd be aghast just like everybody else if Goku did his usual incredibly reckless stuff, whereas a mini Goku egging him on because, gently caress it fight, fight, fight, would be nice to see.

Basically there's too much "what are you doing Goku" rather than just leaning into the punchy fun of it all.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when hit killed his rear end in Super because goku put a hit out on himself

Hit killed him but he still won that fight.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The fact that Goku's energy blast somehow restarted his heart is a bigger copout than Enel restarting his own heart in One Piece.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Some Numbers posted:

The fact that Goku's energy blast somehow restarted his heart is a bigger copout than Enel restarting his own heart in One Piece.

That's up there with "I trained in high gravity and can reads minds now but just this once" on the sure whatever factor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

socialsecurity posted:

That's up there with "I trained in high gravity and can reads minds now but just this once" on the sure whatever factor.

He actually does it again in his heart attack coma in the CEll saga. He wakes up knowing everything that's been going on.

Goku's just an enlightened being.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hit killed him but he still won that fight.

Hit and Goku had three fights.

Once in the U6 v U7 Contest, which Hit won. Then when Goku hired Hit to kill him, and he did though Goku revived himself, then a third fight after Goku revived himself which was a draw.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

At least Enel's resurrection kind of makes sense

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Super really is just a dragonball sandbox playground, they just got weird and wacky with it, throw some ideas at the wall whatever lets just have fun I guess.

The multiverse, so hot right now, gotta lean into that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Krillin won a fight once by remembering that he has no nose and can't actually smell the smelly guy, it has always been a very silly written by the seat of its pants series

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Super really is just a dragonball sandbox playground, they just got weird and wacky with it, throw some ideas at the wall whatever lets just have fun I guess.

The multiverse, so hot right now, gotta lean into that.

i liked that instead of using the multiverse to introduce 30 new gokus, the closest we get to a traditional comic book multiverse is universe 6 having the same races as universe 7. don't know why they didn't use this opportunity to balance the power scale and instead had goku be stronger than 99% of the other universes.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan posted:

i liked that instead of using the multiverse to introduce 30 new gokus, the closest we get to a traditional comic book multiverse is universe 6 having the same races as universe 7. don't know why they didn't use this opportunity to balance the power scale and instead had goku be stronger than 99% of the other universes.

It's funnier that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Because the necessity of the ToP was that the heroes had to fight most of the other universes so they had to be weaker so the heroes would have a plausible chance.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheHan posted:

I kinda like it. There are a couple monstrously powerful individuals around in pretty much every universe but only Universe 7 has Goku and his crew of punchman addicts that all got ludicrously powerfull. The pride Troopers are the second closest.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 19, 2024

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Goku lost to Jiren multiple times too. He should have beat him with UI but it petered out at the last minute. It took the he and Freeza tag team to push him out the ring the last time they fought (and he didn't win the tournament because he also went out the ring).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DBS 131 is the pinnacle of Dragonball. Those live reactions are incredible and that whole sequence just rips

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ImpAtom posted:

Because the necessity of the ToP was that the heroes had to fight most of the other universes so they had to be weaker so the heroes would have a plausible chance.

i guess! though tbf i don't think they had to make it goku vs. the multiverse when the whole point of a royal rumble is it's everyone vs everyone. honestly woulda liked the ToP more if goku didn't get the majority of fights in the goku show :V

Zedd posted:

I kinda like it. There are a couple monstrously powerful individuals around in pretty much every universe but only Universe 7 has Goku and his crew of punchman addicts that all got ludicrously powerfull. The pride Troopers are the second closest.

Kurui Reiten posted:

It's funnier that way.

actually yeah this checks out. i forgot how funny it was that the second worst universe ever also happened to be the second strongest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Dignity posted:

Krillin won a fight once by remembering that he has no nose and can't actually smell the smelly guy, it has always been a very silly written by the seat of its pants series

You don't even have to go back that far for a goofy comedy Krillin win, even! One of his wins in the ToP is using his stinky shoes to stun a blind martial arts master long enough to boot him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol remembering everyone thinking that smug fox krillin beat was going to be important for some reason

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Alan_Shore posted:

DBS 131 is the pinnacle of Dragonball. Those live reactions are incredible and that whole sequence just rips

And all of LatAm chanting the character's names like in a Futbol match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

And all of LatAm chanting the character's names like in a Futbol match.

Everyone be chanting FREEZA! FREEZA! but when Goku charges in barely able to keep SSJ everyone loses their minds because they know deep down Goku is the greatest :gbsmith: