Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I do like the concept of Ten shin han's skills being a big drawback in exchange for either letting him punch way above his weight class or do really useful stuff. Like, remember the solar flare is his technique and that has saved everyone's bacon many times over.

Also his ability to nullify Kamehameha is really useful in XenoVerse lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Skeleton Mom posted:

tien is really funny to me because all of his techniques are like "i can clone myself but each clone is really weak" or "i can shoot a deadly ray but it takes a year off my life" or "i can parallel park but only if i get high first" and meanwhile the universe is full of people who have the same powers but without the drawbacks. like there was no reason for him to do it that way

It's really funny that multiple other people borrow the multi-form and it sucks for everyone else too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

tien is really funny to me because all of his techniques are like "i can clone myself but each clone is really weak" or "i can shoot a deadly ray but it takes a year off my life" or "i can parallel park but only if i get high first" and meanwhile the universe is full of people who have the same powers but without the drawbacks. like there was no reason for him to do it that way

Oh, so it's cool when Goku Kaikokens but when Tien uses his lifeforce to power a beam suddenly its lame.

I see how it is!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tien used Solar Flare, so Goku stole Roshi's sunglasses.

Tien used Multi-Form, so Goku used Solar Flare.

lmao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The best one was when he used the Fist of Four Arms and Goku’s response was to flap his hands so fast it gave him the utility of having eight arms.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Tien used the 4 arm technique, so Goku punched him really fast.

efb

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm starting to think maybe the Crane school just isn't very good at the Inventing Techniques game

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 22, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

forgot that Krillin used the multi-form technique as well like once. But looking it up, I think its actually filler and not canon that he and Piccolo used it.

Tien's moveset in FighersZ was pretty boring to watch imo. It was a volleyball style moveset..zzz

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

I'm starting to think maybe the Crane school just isn't very good at the Inventing Techniques game

they're very good at Inventing Techniques it's just that the turtle school is unmatched in the field of Stealing Techniques

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sōkidan is so drat cool. I wish it were more useful, much like Yamcha himself.

It's also crazy Krillin's scattershot beam he used on the saibamen never even got a name. Still one of my favorites.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The scatter beam is still one of the absolute craziest underrated things in the entire series.

Krillin oneshots multiple enemies strong enough that a year prior Goku and Piccolo could barely handle one and Goku died doing it, and Yamcha died shortly before to one of them.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Out of curiosity I did a google search to find out Krillin's height and weight because he's usually drawn as pretty jacked for his size, and according to DBZ: Extreme Butōden he is listed as being 45kg/99lb which is like low end kpop idol weight and makes him lighter than Bulma, Chi Chi and Videl.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Redezga posted:

Out of curiosity I did a google search to find out Krillin's height and weight because he's usually drawn as pretty jacked for his size, and according to DBZ: Extreme Butōden he is listed as being 45kg/99lb which is like low end kpop idol weight and makes him lighter than Bulma, Chi Chi and Videl.
He is a manlet

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The scatter beam is still one of the absolute craziest underrated things in the entire series.

Krillin oneshots multiple enemies strong enough that a year prior Goku and Piccolo could barely handle one and Goku died doing it, and Yamcha died shortly before to one of them.

On the other hand, him killing them all cut down the stalling time that could have allowed Goku to get there before Piccolo died.

If he didn't do that, and they all did their matches. Piccolo obviously would have no trouble. Krillin would do his fine. Tien as well with some bruises, Gohan would win just barely after panicking a lot. Chiaotzu would probably be toast. wtf was Chiaotzu doing there, is he even a fighter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

The Dodonpa almost killed Goku when Tao used it. I guess that’s not a huge flex since he literally killed a man that was giving Goku trouble before with his tongue though, but it’s something.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Redezga posted:

It is like how Vegeta who trains constantly yet only weighs as much as Fate's Astolfo. The people coming up with those numbers sure as hell didn't put thought into those numbers.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

flying is a crane school technique which is why roshi never flies

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

To be fair to Tien, the tri beam technique allowed him to significantly slow down a guy who could have very easily killed him.

And if we are talking about the utility of techniques, it's still crazy that no none thought of using the mafuba until zamasu showed up. That one technique could have made the entirety of z a cakewalk.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Conceptually, when it comes to Weird Martial Arts the Crane School is way cooler than the Turtle School. Flight, psychic powers, body manipulation, pinpoint-precise techniques, and secret arts that shave off your entire lifespan. Unfortunately, while this is really cool when they're the Opposing Sports Team, it isn't a skillset that lends itself well to Z's fights and stories.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the dodon ray is supposed to be superior to the kamehameha but because goku uses the kamehameha and is stronger than any user of the dodon ray now it doesnt matter lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

To be fair to Tien, the tri beam technique allowed him to significantly slow down a guy who could have very easily killed him.

And if we are talking about the utility of techniques, it's still crazy that no none thought of using the mafuba until zamasu showed up. That one technique could have made the entirety of z a cakewalk.

The issue with the Mafuba is that it's not really a solution. It lasts until someone breaks it open and it isn't notably durable. Even with Zamasu it was more of a delaying tactics because the dude was otherwise invincible, but as you see with King Piccolo/Buu/etc they come back.

It also can be reversed and then you're extra hosed

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The issue with the Mafuba is that it's not really a solution. It lasts until someone breaks it open and it isn't notably durable. Even with Zamasu it was more of a delaying tactics because the dude was otherwise invincible, but as you see with King Piccolo/Buu/etc they come back.

It also can be reversed and then you're extra hosed

Piccolo only came back because pilaf opened the rice cooker. Buu wasn't sealed with the mafuba per say and even then it required a shitload of energy to get him out of the egg. It didn't work against Zamasu because Goku was an idiot and forgot the seal, Piccolo jr only reversed it because he knew about the technique. Arguably only cell would have known about it, so Vegeta, Frieza and Buu would have been caught by it. I mean, I guess Frost reversed it, but that was anime only?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nanigans posted:

It's also crazy Krillin's scattershot beam he used on the saibamen never even got a name. Still one of my favorites.

It's gotten a few names throughout the years but modern games call it Scatter Kamehameha.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Piccolo only came back because pilaf opened the rice cooker. Buu wasn't sealed with the mafuba per say and even then it required a shitload of energy to get him out of the egg. It didn't work against Zamasu because Goku was an idiot and forgot the seal, Piccolo jr only reversed it because he knew about the technique. Arguably only cell would have known about it, so Vegeta, Frieza and Buu would have been caught by it. I mean, I guess Frost reversed it, but that was anime only?

Right, but the issue is that 'sealed away' doesn't solve the problem, it punts it down the road, as we saw with Piccolo and Buu, and in the case of both of them it only wasn't a world/universe ending disaster because Goku (and I guess Future Trunks) happened to be around. Even if you Mafuba Frieza it just takes one of his dudes sneaking in and smashing the jar for you to have a new Frieza problem.

You could argue "Well, they just train for infinity to get stronger until it happens" but Dragonball at least sticks pretty closely to the idea you can only improve that much with a genuine struggle to go against.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Step 1. Mafuba Frieza into a jar
Step 2. Huck that jar so far into the Room of Spirit and Time

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So rereading Z and some of Super I feel like the Chamber of Time and Space got quietly adjusted and that was just ignored?

In Dragonball and Z there is a distinct time limit to how long you can spend training there. The physical and mental taxation is largely resolved by time you get to the Cell saga (they've done a lot of gravity training by then, SSJ transformations, and they don't go in solo), but its really up front that you can only use it for 48 hours of your real life to get 2 years of training in or the door is gone and you're stuck. Goku between his kid time and training with Gohan likely had very little time left before he was out of it and would be trapped forever. They try and use that trick on Buu, basically lets just stay stuck here (didn't work cause LOL he's loud).

Yet when you get into Super, Freeza spends 10 years in a chamber of time and space to achieve his Black transformation (sure that one could have different rules), but Vegeta/Goku straight up use it for 3 days/3 years of training which should be impossible based on their prior use of it, and the established rules about how long you can be in the one at Kami's lookout. I guess we can chock it up to "hey dragon we made a wish off screen", but it seems to me to be an unaddressed topic that was given a throwaway page in the manga. Maybe he just didn't think about it and said cool "they'll be stronger cause of this and its my easiest explanation for an empty increase in strength".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

So rereading Z and some of Super I feel like the Chamber of Time and Space got quietly adjusted and that was just ignored?

In Dragonball and Z there is a distinct time limit to how long you can spend training there. The physical and mental taxation is largely resolved by time you get to the Cell saga (they've done a lot of gravity training by then, SSJ transformations, and they don't go in solo), but its really up front that you can only use it for 48 hours of your real life to get 2 years of training in or the door is gone and you're stuck. Goku between his kid time and training with Gohan likely had very little time left before he was out of it and would be trapped forever. They try and use that trick on Buu, basically lets just stay stuck here (didn't work cause LOL he's loud).

Yet when you get into Super, Freeza spends 10 years in a chamber of time and space to achieve his Black transformation (sure that one could have different rules), but Vegeta/Goku straight up use it for 3 days/3 years of training which should be impossible based on their prior use of it, and the established rules about how long you can be in the one at Kami's lookout. I guess we can chock it up to "hey dragon we made a wish off screen", but it seems to me to be an unaddressed topic that was given a throwaway page in the manga. Maybe he just didn't think about it and said cool "they'll be stronger cause of this and its my easiest explanation for an empty increase in strength".

I am pretty sure Freeza just found another dimension entirely that happened to function with the same time dilation as the RoS&T

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly considering what Super Buu did I think you can just make the case that Goku and Vegeta are just so strong that the room no longer applies the same way it used to

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Frieza learning the value of training and self improvement while still being a horrible bastard was just... the best.

Like, Vegeta was already warning goku back in the broly movie that "Frieza caught up to our 15 years of training in four months, we are hosed if he start's training again." Then during the granola arc, Frieza is like an afterthought because obviously Granolah Vegeta and Goku could beat Frieza's rear end now. But nope, Frieza trained for the equivalent of fifteen years because he found a place like the hyperbolic time chamber. Now he clearly the strongest guy around and easily destroys everyone. It wasn't an out of nowhere or out of character power up at all.

Man with getting Gohan back up to par, Broly being cool and developing more and Black Frieza there was so much cool poo poo to work with. Now we'll likely never know how it was gonna end.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Monaghan posted:

Frieza learning the value of training and self improvement while still being a horrible bastard was just... the best.

Like, Vegeta was already warning goku back in the broly movie that "Frieza caught up to our 15 years of training in four months, we are hosed if he start's training again." Then during the granola arc, Frieza is like an afterthought because obviously Granolah Vegeta and Goku could beat Frieza's rear end now. But nope, Frieza trained for the equivalent of fifteen years because he found a place like the hyperbolic time chamber. Now he clearly the strongest guy around and easily destroys everyone. It wasn't an out of nowhere or out of character power up at all.

Man with getting Gohan back up to par, Broly being cool and developing more and Black Frieza there was so much cool poo poo to work with. Now we'll likely never know how it was gonna end.

Freeza is just the Saiyans forever rivals now. They will fight each other to increasingly colorful transformations until they die from old age and continue to do so in the afterlife.

In accepting training is good, he has also learned that the fun in life is being Goku and Vegeta looking for that next punch fight high. Conquering worlds is just a day job (and kind of a boring one now too given we know universe 7 is low on planets of value and powerful folks outside of the crew). He straight up just lets them off the hook cause "i didnt' come here to try and kill you today, some other time, but be impressed with my mighty power).

I think Toyotaro will be back at it eventually and we can get Super Sayian Rainbow Sparkle God Super Saiyan or something down the line. I agree the setup that we were left with is way better and more interesting than the last 2 or so arcs of super prior to the Superhero retelling.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It really is sad for Yamcha that he handled that Saibaman pretty easily save for the kamikaze hug.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, so it's cool when Goku Kaikokens but when Tien uses his lifeforce to power a beam suddenly its lame.

I see how it is!

it's not lame, it's funny. it's also funny when goku gets boneitis for mulitiplying any number bigger than 8 and i think it should happen more often

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Shinjobi posted:

It really is sad for Yamcha that he handled that Saibaman pretty easily save for the kamikaze hug.

If Nappa can handle a kamikaze hug from Chiaotzu then Yamcha should be able to handle one from a saibaman.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Freeza is just the Saiyans forever rivals now. They will fight each other to increasingly colorful transformations until they die from old age and continue to do so in the afterlife.

In the end the ultimate form will just be a glowing orb, shedding the weaknesses of the flesh

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

GateOfD posted:

On the other hand, him killing them all cut down the stalling time that could have allowed Goku to get there before Piccolo died.

If he didn't do that, and they all did their matches. Piccolo obviously would have no trouble. Krillin would do his fine. Tien as well with some bruises, Gohan would win just barely after panicking a lot. Chiaotzu would probably be toast. wtf was Chiaotzu doing there, is he even a fighter.

Tien already did his match against the Saibaman.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ytlaya posted:

In the end the ultimate form will just be a glowing orb, shedding the weaknesses of the flesh

All roads lead to the Vegetto jawbreaker.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

In accepting training is good, he has also learned that the fun in life is being Goku and Vegeta looking for that next punch fight high. Conquering worlds is just a day job (and kind of a boring one now too given we know universe 7 is low on planets of value and powerful folks outside of the crew). He straight up just lets them off the hook cause "i didnt' come here to try and kill you today, some other time, but be impressed with my mighty power).

I think Toyotaro will be back at it eventually and we can get Super Sayian Rainbow Sparkle God Super Saiyan or something down the line. I agree the setup that we were left with is way better and more interesting than the last 2 or so arcs of super prior to the Superhero retelling.

Only thing left is for Frieza to taste earth food.
I like he isn't hellbent on killing them, probably figures even if he does succeed, it be more of a pain after they somehow come back to life. He's also probably tsundere in that he's actually kind of grateful for them to get him to get this strong, he would actually enjoy their company if they hung out for a bit

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I've been ntroducing DBZ Kai over the past several months to my 10 year old ands he's been really enjoying it. We just got to the majin Vegeta fight.

I thought I'd share some of his opinions this far. His favorite character is : "that one namekian that became the guardian of earth." Because he thinks it's really cool that a little kid has so much power over earth! His favorite villain is freeza because he "was the first that came to mind" and his favorite fight was between Goku and Vegeta during the Saiyan saga because it "was funny how Vegeta was a huge monkey with clothes and then his tail got cut off by the fat guy. I like it most when it's funny.". Feels like I should have started with dragonball instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

After the entrance was destroyed by Piccolo, Dende repaired it and improved the chamber. Presumably, like the Dragon Balls, the Chamber was originally meant to be a sort of legendary reward. When it turned out Goku and co. were just going to abuse it anyway, it made more sense to make it more practical.

Vegeta still blows it up like an rear end in a top hat every once in a while, though.