Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

What do you folks think of the Sand Land show so far? And/or the movie, I gather the first 6 eps are pretty much the movie.

(noticed it didn't have a thread, and didn't see anybody talking about it in past few pages of some threads)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

not a fan of the cgi style

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Where is it playing?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's on Hulu and/or Disney+

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Heavy Metal posted:

What do you folks think of the Sand Land show so far? And/or the movie, I gather the first 6 eps are pretty much the movie.

(noticed it didn't have a thread, and didn't see anybody talking about it in past few pages of some threads)

I haven't watched the show but I'm a fan of the manga. I also liked the demo of the video game. It felt like a good PS2 game, in a good way.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

As someone who didn't follow Super at all until very recently, learning of the existence of "Orange Piccolo" was extremely funny to me, and even more funny after looking up what he looks like. And then learning that he's really big!

IMO they should have done something with his antennae. Like had them become spiky or grow new ones.

Being really big isn't related to Orange, it's something Piccolo was already able to do but just forgot that he could for 400 episodes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think by big they mean how bulky he becomes compared to his usual self.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

P-Mack posted:

Being really big isn't related to Orange, it's something Piccolo was already able to do but just forgot that he could for 400 episodes

He didn't forget it just wasn't helpful.

Giant Piccolo is, unlike a saiyans giant monkey form, exactly 0% stronger than Normal Piccolo.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

i think its weird though, like i understand chi levels not changing, but wouldn't the increased mass provide an equally increased amt of force.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

i think its weird though, like i understand chi levels not changing, but wouldn't the increased mass provide an equally increased amt of force.

A lot of strength in DBZ comes from chi manipulation rather than raw physical strength/size/etc. Being bigger doesn't give you more chi so it genuinely doesn't provide any meaningful boost beyond having some extra weight/reach/etc. Saiyans don't just grow big when they monkey form, they gain a huge increase in power too.

You do have midpoints like Full Power Frieza or the mid-point Super Saiyans where they bulk up and gain power from it, but that appears to be more like they're overloading their body rather than just gaining muscle mass, which is why Trunks ends up sucking because he's increased his power by a ton but it isn't actually being properly channeled so even if he hits really hard he's not any faster.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Basically things like Full Power Frieza or Really Big Trunks is them directly trying to channel their reserves into raw "right the gently caress now" power. For Frieza it mostly just lets him get a little closer to Goku, but doesn't have any appreciable difference. For Trunks, he genuinely gets stronger than Cell, but he's not only made his muscles so big his agility falls, he's directly reduced the amount of ki he can put into speed.

Great Ape Form appears to do things to a Saiyan's body that directly lets them tap into a ton more power without draw backs, but there's no point when you can get better multipliers without becoming a bigger target. Broly instinctively manages to force his way to that level without changing his body so drastically, even.

Meanwhile, Piccolo DOES technically get stronger when he grows giant, but the only time that has any real use is in late DB, and even then it's only marginal. A normal body should not be able to hold together when it's hit a fist the size of a truck. Ki is used for defense as well as offense, and by the time Nappa rolls around just getting big doesn't give nearly enough of an increase. It's a linear increase based on size; meanwhile, everyone's Ki has increased by many times over at that point.

Going big against Cell MAX let Piccolo actually get him into holds and stuff, which was way more useful than the miniscule physical strength increase it provided.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 7, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Rare gif of Goku getting jumped.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Siegkrow posted:

Rare gif of Goku getting jumped.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

That era had some great yell faces

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Comparing this to Super Hero is so sad. Truly the end of an era

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
worlds strongest was so good that rock the dragon was mostly composed of it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
dead zone and world's strongest... the greatest dbz movies before BoG

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dead Zone and World's Strongest also benefitted from having the closest to original villains prior to BoG. Like, yeah, Garlic Jr was kiiiiiinda treading on King Piccolo territory but he was different enough it didn't feel that way (especially compared to goddamn Slug) and Professor Wheelo, aside from 'mad scientist who makes robots', wasn't really close to anything and predates the Android saga anyway.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I like how the reasoning behind Turles looking identical to Goku was that low-class Saiyans tend to look identical and yet we never see another example of that anywhere else.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like how the reasoning behind Turles looking identical to Goku was that low-class Saiyans tend to look identical and yet we never see another example of that anywhere else.

Bardock

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wanna see Garlic Sr

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Wanna see Garlic Sr

We technically already did but only in flashbacks

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Garlic

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dead zone and world's strongest

those + ocean/pioneer dub are godly

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Turles is totally unrelated to him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

P-Mack posted:

Yeah I realized it wasn't part of the transformation after that post (though he hasn't really used the "grow big" since his first fight with Goku I don't think - since it kinda sucks against smaller opponents).

ImpAtom posted:

Dead Zone and World's Strongest also benefitted from having the closest to original villains prior to BoG. Like, yeah, Garlic Jr was kiiiiiinda treading on King Piccolo territory but he was different enough it didn't feel that way (especially compared to goddamn Slug) and Professor Wheelo, aside from 'mad scientist who makes robots', wasn't really close to anything and predates the Android saga anyway.

I always confuse Garlic Jr and Pilaf

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Turles is totally unrelated to him.

They're both low-class Saiyans who look identical.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

goddamn Goku trucked that dude into the next dimension

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Good soup! posted:

those + ocean/pioneer dub are godly

I don't even think they mispronounced attack names like they did in the series.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!
ocean's dead zone even had the same score as the japanese version which is what introduced me to it in the first place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah I realized it wasn't part of the transformation after that post (though he hasn't really used the "grow big" since his first fight with Goku I don't think - since it kinda sucks against smaller opponents).

I always confuse Garlic Jr and Pilaf

He is pretty Pilaf looking

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

He is pretty Pilaf looking

Also Pilaf sounding given he had the same voice actor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe they’re members of the same race or something

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rudoku posted:

I don't even think they mispronounced attack names like they did in the series.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ocean's dead zone even had the same score as the japanese version which is what introduced me to it in the first place.

:hai: i remember when toonami did that movie marathon and heard the original music from those two movies and wondering wtf why did they replace it in the first place*, I mean the quality is that pitiful Toei backup video, but it made it super distinct even to kid me, at least

I think it was peter kelamis who said in an interview that the recording sessions for those were far less restrictive and had more consistent direction for the acting side of things, but I guess that's also a product of working on a few short movies rather than a ton of syndicated episodes

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
World's Strongest is my favorite DBZ movie. The set design in it and Dead Zone are the best. Ginger drawing his swords embedded in his arms the absolute poo poo.

...I also like Return of Cooler don't @ me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Future Trunks DLC in Kakarot. That whole setting is kind of interesting, with the relationship between Trunks and adult Gohan. Gohan in that setting seems really tragic to me. Just suddenly forced to take all the responsibility, despite being the Z-fighter who hates fighting.

Larryb posted:

Maybe they’re members of the same race or something

I think Pilaf is a human. I feel like it was mentioned in the Kakarot game I'm playing somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Future Trunks DLC in Kakarot. That whole setting is kind of interesting, with the relationship between Trunks and adult Gohan. Gohan in that setting seems really tragic to me. Just suddenly forced to take all the responsibility, despite being the Z-fighter who hates fighting.

His doomed final stand against the Androids is probably the saddest moment, especially when the ki bar UI shatters leaving Gohan barely able to move as 17 and 18 laugh at him.