Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

he might be talking about the time in RoF he threw a hissy fit and blew up the earth. I know frieza can survive in space and all but I think the implication was he blew himself up along with Earth

No, they explicitly say that Frieza survived that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You'd think at some point 18 would have gotten a nickname. I feel like saying Number Eighteen all the time would get annoying.

They tried calling her Hacchan but then Goku said it was awkward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really does feel like the way the rules are set up encourages someone to do something blatantly super-illegal and just take the out for the greater win.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

What exactly makes Cabba anything like Vegeta? I mean, even as foil/mirror I don't think any personality traits really stick or match up.

Cabba is literally mirror Vegeta. He's softspoken and polite and basically the opposite of all of Vegeta's traits. His special moves are Gallick Cannon and Big Bang Cannon even.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Hey now, SSJ3 won (its only fight in super?) against future Trunks!

...well, yeah. It's Future Trunks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it isn't like Broly didn't get absurdly strong absurdly quickly too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caulifa is Lady Goku and thus is incapable of really understanding any relationship that isn't friendship or punchmans. Kale is gay as hell for Caulifla. It's not really complex.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I hope they just redo the End of Z and redo the GT stuff with their new writing team, they seem to have a much better idea of how to do Dragon ball right now than they did back then.

I don't want to see Android 17 dragged away from his family. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Let's look at how all the Saiyans went SSJ:

Goku: saw Krillin die and lost his poo poo
Vegeta: tried to train too much on some meteor, got upset and lost his poo poo
Future Trunks: saw future Gohan dead and lost his poo poo
Gohan: realized he was the weak link of the z-fighters and lost his poo poo
Goten and Trunks: ???
Cabba: Vegeta threatened to blow up planet salad and he lost his poo poo
Caulifla: midochlorians back tingles
Kale: saw big sis getting too friendly with Cabba and lost her poo poo

With the exception of Goten, Trunks and Caulifa, seems like losing your poo poo is a preface to going Super Saiyan, ya'all.

Technically you're not right about Trunks who in the manga was Super Saiyan before Gohan died.

I mean thematically the anime version feels a lot cooler but Trunks needing to lose his poo poo to go Super Saiyan was made there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Is the afterlife really still "his own universe"? Its not like you could travel there in a space ship (unless you fly into the sun I guess).

Give Bulma enough time and she probably could work it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have noticed that in other anime, is it like a thing?

Sure. It's not even just a thing in Japan. Ever hear someone say sayonara or whatever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

U7 is Goku's universe.

Yeah but who can keep track of those guys?

It's... what Son Wukong, Bongo, Turtle Master, Shinto, Artificial Humans 19 and 20, Big Green, Goten, Tarble and Cooler, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Its a warm up, we are apparently only 10 minutes in after all.

I swear to god if Universe 2 gets erased... :bahgawd:

17 has gotten a lot of spotlight recently so I'll guess he'll be next to go down, probably courtesy of Ribrianne.

my bet on the next out is Piccolo to help motivate Gohan next episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Just for the record, this is the final arc for DBS right? After this they close the curtains on the series ya?

They have not said anything of the sort. As of the moment there's no info on how long they plan DBS to go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super really put me over from "Android 17 is kind of boring" to "Android 17 owns."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Kale and Caulifla immediately fuse after watching Goku & Vegeta do it.

Ah, aiming for the Steven Universe crowd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The major problem with DBZ movie villains is that almost to a man they're Budget Knockoff versions of existing and better-done characters and storylines and while that's okay for a 2-hour well-animated fight it doesn't actually give them anything meaningful to do. They actually rely on "oh, it's Evil Goku/Piccolo Again/Frieza Again/Androids again/etc" to fill in the blanks and because it's a film there's no development or growth or change in characters. It's why BotG/RoF (even with RoF's problems) stand out because they do actually advance and change things, even if it's in a minor way, though obviously Super somewhat replaces that and it becomes "do I want the nicely animated coherent version or the bloated one with more buildup."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair ROF fits the old movie definition better than it does BOG

RoF is absolutely closer but at least introduces a For Real New Super Saiyan Form that ends up continuing to be a thing compared to the other films which just have people relearning the stuff they knew already except maybe Vegeta and Goku doing the fusion dance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

graham cracker posted:

I love Goku as much as the next person, but sometimes I wish he'd resign himself as some eternal punch deity that just trains other characters.

And he has his own little planet with a tractor on it.

Flying away comically with the tractor is the first test to pass in his training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGTIeaPgDM0

I mean if you take the ending of DBZ into account that's basically what happened. (and if you take GT into account it's also basically what happens.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

graham cracker posted:

Well if you take the beginning of DBS into account that's basically what did not happen. (and if you take GT into account gowasu have mercy on your soul.)

Dragonball Super is set between Buu Saga and the end of Z. Like they literally have a conversation in Super about Uub.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

goku would never be satisfied at winning the tournament that way

I think Goku's got some new bullshit form he's been hiding away just for the ToP and he's gonna use it on his new boyfriend Jiren

Vegeta's response to that would be hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

The idea of a Legendary Super Saiyan God scares me a bit.

Already done

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Rosé is just Blue for Black, no?

Yes, Black even says as much IIRC.

Looking it up he even refers to Super Saiyan Blue as "what happens when someone surpasses a Super Saiyan God" which makes the SSB/SSG thing even more convoluted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Yes, there are justifications both in-universe and in-production.

My question was "are you entertained?" Does this endear you to noble Son Goku, The Doom-Bringer, scourge of galaxies, harbinger of death?

You are an annoying idiot who claimed you stopped watching the show, so there's no particular reason for you to still be posting about watching it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If he isn't a fighter I bet he shows up as part of 18's attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

On average, how many episodes of DBZ are there between each new form reveal? And is this one out of line with that? It just feels so soon after Blue.

Super Saiyan Blue debuted in episode 24. We're now in the 100s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Well if we're looking at Kai, the gap between Super Saiyan 1 and 2 is about 45 episodes. Chapter wise, they had a gap of about two years, so if we take into account Resurrection F it's about the same gap. The difference between the two being there have been multiple other transformation reveals inbetween these two for Goku, but I don't know if that's quite the same as we're probably never seeing Trunks or Zamasu again.

In that case you'd also need to count the two powered up SSJ forms Vegeta and Trunks used too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Hit is just so goddamn cool. How do you even get to be that cool?

Dyspo also put on a really good show. It was neat seeing a fighter who isn't necessarily stronger than his opponent, but uses his skills to out maneuver them. Weird though that it turns out he just so happens to look like Champa and Beerus in what just so happens to be the first coincidence in an anime ever.

Excuse me, he looks like Beerus. He clearly doesn't have Champa's cherubic face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every SSJ form besides 2 and Blue are basically "crappier but more energy efficient" except SSJ3 which is superior but blows through energy like woah. It's only really coming into play in the ToP because they actively have to conserve stamina because they're fighting a bunch of battles in a row without senzu beans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

his mindset has nothing to do with his vocal chords

He's a space alien with a tail who turns into a gorilla when the moon is out. Arguing that the dude's vocal chords have to work a certain way is a lost cause,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Vegeta is a Saiyan prince and would never adopt English slang to refer to his wife.

Unless it's a bad English dub unless sure why not it's pretty funny lol

Please show me the character development that makes Vegeta more "human".

... The... part where he went from being a selfish prideful rear end in a top hat to the guy who was willing repeatedly to swallow his pride in order to protect his family?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Yes but none of that makes him more "human" and more likely to adopt words such as " babe" and "mondo" and "tubular." It just makes him more likely to give his life for that of those he loves!

*Vegeta explodes to protect Bulma"
"This one's for you babe! This is good writing gurl! Ahhhhh..."

Okay, but the parts where Vegeta goes from being dismissive to referring to characters in familiar or loving ways is a literal actual part of his development to. "That's My Bulma" for example. He still treats Goku that way because that is their relationship but even then you have the ending of the Buu arc.

Vegeta's style of speech does actually change as the franchise goes on. He continues being Price of All Saiyans Man but he lets it slip around Bulma and Trunks and occasionally around others. This is a thing even in the Japanese version. You can argue about how to best convey it but properly showing that Vegeta's chilled out among his family is a good thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I agree with all of this, but I think calling people "babe" and telling them to "chill K-Dawg*" is not the best way to represent his change of character. For example, "that's my Bulma!" is totally fine. "That's my sweetie!" is not. It's a small distinction but an important one.

*this might not have happened

I mean it's sort of hard to actually counter the part where you keep claiming Vegeta is saying stuff he didn't say in the dub. Vegeta going "it's mondo tubular to the max, K-Dawg" would be weird but also doesn't actually happen so... yes, I guess you win there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Misread.
Me now:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

multijoe posted:

Zen-Oh can't count the number of universes he has under his dominion

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DBS Roshi si genuinely pretty lovely and I hope this is the last significant screentime he has.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gohan was encouraged to be a scholar by his mother but genuine seems to enjoy it, if not his mother's all-in behavior on it. Gohan was encouraged to be a fighter by his dad and never actually seems to very much enjoy it. He's getting more into it in Super but even then it's with his family on the line. Gohan was never shown as actively seeking out or enjoying training the way Goku does and the actual fighting he seems to enjoy is dorky superheroics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavyweights don't use magical energy to shoot laser beams.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

Ki isn't "magic". It comes from training body and spirit as in the Turtle method (learn, sleep, eat etc.). Cardio, resistance training, plenty of milk.

If they did they still wouldn't get beaten by Connor Mcgregor doing the same.

Goku at 190lbs > Goku at 100lbs = Goku at 300lbs (adjust for local gravity)

Truly the glowing space energy that lets you teleport, create ghosts, break through dimensions and turn people into stone is not magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They've said they're planning to come back to DBZA which I don't think they'd be doing if it was a C&D.