Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Man.....

.......................I REALLY want to see if they bust out something crazy for Gohan in this. And I know that by stating such, I have officially set myself up for colossal disappointment.

EDIT: Basically this episode owned all the bones, I hate Broly but I dig Kale, everything is great even if I got really sad when 18 chastised my personal hero and best friend, Krillin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Goku with a beard

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trunks would have been better as a Kai, imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Episode was good, Kale owns, Caulifa owns, and all but two to four universes being relevant also owns.

U7 was an underdog, these episodes have been their "yo we ain't loving around" moments. The pride troopers were another Ginyu force, ultimately, and they got treated as such and that is a good thing. Leave the secret sentai badassery to the Great Saiyaman, imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Covok posted:

By the end of DBS, Goku obtains the ultimate form of super sayian: Super Sayian Rainbow!

Also, googling super sayian rainbow brought up a disturbing amount of MLPxDBZ fanart.

Goku becomes Sonic, who became Goku back in 92.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Frost is gonna eliminate Frieza and it's gonna be hilarious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm still getting over how he sounds like a generic hero instead of a fight-loving hillbilly in the English version, so... :shrug:

Far worse than an old woman, definitely.

:rolleye:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brother Entropy posted:

zamasu was frank grimes, even up to the part where imitating the target of his scorn leads to his death

Goku and his family enjoying lobster was just the final goddamn straw.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, Super just owns now. Just....all of it. Except Tien.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am so glad Super is killing it right now. Waiting for more Abridged stuff was driving me bonkers before the ToP really got started.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Andrast posted:

It's Piccolo

"Who's that Z Fighter?!"

IT'S PICCOLO!

"It's Yajirobe!"

GOD DAMMIT AUUUUUGHH

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
For better or for worse, we will never know how much stronger than the competition Krillin is.

I do wonder if the voice actress's commitment to One Piece meant they could only dedicate so much time to DBS, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh dear

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gundams

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

I will say everything Vegeta says to #19 in the dub is gold. Also get that sweet Faulconer score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZbGSXeWWE

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That Goku/Vegeta fight looked great but mattered so drat little in the grand scheme of things. Borderline feels like filler.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

From the beginning I just pointed out that it was different, not even worse, and a matter of preference. You're in the Opinion Zone and I thought it was interesting to point out. This argument is terrible can we please move past it

Watch yourself, o-baka-chan-tachi!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alan_Shore posted:

I agree with all of this, but I think calling people "babe" and telling them to "chill K-Dawg*" is not the best way to represent his change of character. For example, "that's my Bulma!" is totally fine. "That's my sweetie!" is not. It's a small distinction but an important one.

*this might not have happened

Just frame this post and put it in a museum

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Babe, I think Vegeta is cooler when he's being a goof.

Mondo cool being said in a threatening tone is a goddamn masterpiece, is what I'm saying.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think King Cold was always gonna be a joke.

Tien, Yamcha and Chaotszu would have handled him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Crabtree posted:

I'd rather he just chicken out of attacking her and 18 take her out plain and simple. The other two fights Roshi had were infinitely better and less cringe worthy, but here we are.

I would rather not. It's annoying when anime/wrestling/whatever use female characters to fight other females and little else. 18 can and should fight anyone and everyone. 17 had a good showing in that regard, she should too.

It's just lazy. Find a less rapey way for Roshi to scare the lady away and everything would have been great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Manatee Cannon posted:

they could have just not had roshi scare her at all. he could have thrown her off the stage and skipped the threats. it was clearly supposed to be a joke but it was a really bad one that shouldn't have happened

You can easily do the same joke without his creepy speech.

She poses, he falls for it, she attacks, he dodges. Repeat this two times, she decides the fight ain't winnable, runs away, but he's keeping pace asking if she can do any more poses. Then she jumps off in a panic.

His speech really kills the whole thing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Firstborn posted:

Cool, gonna give it a shot. Thanks for the quick reply.
Did a little bit of research and apparently Kai had a composer named Yamamoto that ... plagiarized a bunch of Earth, Wind & Fire songs and stuff and had his stuff excised from certain releases? I don't even know if I'd notice.

There were a couple of cases, but this one was my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoxpAmZ36w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wb11w0ZHQ

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo, the dude didn't even try to hide that one, huh.

I remember watching some of the Namek episodes with my mouth agape. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flubby posted:

I'll always prefer the Japanese voices to the dub, because I like that they just use their normal voices for the most part. I've never liked a put upon voices, whether it's shrieky, gruff, or whatever the hell the dub King Kai is supposed to be. It gives it a Saturday morning cartoon feel that I hate to listen to. Yes, more than granny Goku. I actually like some of the voices Team Four Star has more than the actual dub. Their Vegeta is leagues better than Sabat's.

Their Vegeta is just a knockoff of Sabat's. It's the exact same take.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flubby posted:

The same take done much better.

something something the copy can never match the original blah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wonder what the language of the C&D was. I mean, the way I see it you can only profit off of another company's work for so long before they have to get mean with you. The character LPs, themed shirts, a lot of the merch relied on it being DBZ stuff, and so I'm not really surprised things have gotten harder for them to navigate through.

I'm no lawyer though, so feel free to ignore me!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Petiso posted:

Hell, at least they made DBZA Bulma feel awkard about it, canon Bulma wasn't a bit embarrased after finding out his identity.

Yep.

Dragon Ball didn't really focus on comedy by the time Z rolled around aside from maybe a handful of quick gags. Honestly I feel that's where some people get to disliking Super--if all you've seen is DBZ, you're getting way more comedy than you were expecting. If anything, you can argue about the results but DBZA at least tries to put more humor into DBZ and I say good on them for even trying.

If I have to choose which side of the fandom I want to see more of, and my choices are SSJ5 Arbuckle Goku or fan parodies with hit or miss jokes, I will always take the latter. The people who want it too serious are just bizarre to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was a very future trunks kind of ending

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tien sucks rear end, Krillin forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guys but Tien is stronger hurr durr he scuffed cell's shoes that one time hurr durr

I'm riding high today, fellas. It's Kriller Time.:smugdog:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Black August posted:

green is hella underrated and good

:agreed:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

a.lo posted:

by the way is Freeza going to do anything? Why is he here?

So people could talk about how great he's actually been after 20 years. Kinda like Tien, really.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nothing grinds my gears like a rude pair of titties.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Could Marron beat Goku? Discuss.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Episode owned, it couldn't have happened with anyone other than Gohan too.

Maybe Piccolo, but it's not like they're gonna give him that cool a moment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beerus owns.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cell was great, gently caress the haters.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Another DBZA hiatus update came out. Basically, the finale to the cell games could be nearly an hour or more long, and don't expect it out this year.

Disappointing news. I am all for them finding other ways to generate content, and making sure whatever they do moving forward means a smoother time with YouTube, but I'd be lying if I wasn't just a smidge annoyed the promise of a steadier schedule for DBZA never actually materialized. Life happens, butting heads with Toei and YouTube got worse as they continued, but it's still disappointing. I'm not really a fan of their other content, either, so there's that. I will say it is nice that they're not leaving fans completely in the dark, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Certainly feels that way