Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Finally, Maximum Oversayian's time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

what do we call this buu though

Fit Buu

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Something I just remembered from watching the BoG latam dub last night; it mentions that it’s Bulma’s 38th birthday and that Mai is 41. Is that mentioned in the japanese original / english dub? I wouldn’t think so because the timeline wouldn’t work since Bulma was what, 16 when the series started and 22 years wouldn’t be enough for Goku’s family to make sense

Well, there's over 6 years passing in DB, 5 until Raditz, a year for the rest of the Sayians, around a year for the Namek saga until Trunks shows up, then 3 years for Androids and 7 for Buu. That adds up to 23 which seems about right.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Goku's Best Buddy Rankings:

1) Vegeta
2) Krillin
3) Bulma
4) Piccolo
5) Mr. Satan
6) Yamcha
7) King Kai
8) Future Trunks
9) Freeza
10) Jiren
528) Goten
529) Chaotzu
530) Tien

I'd swap Chaotzu and Tien around. I don't think Goku ever actually talked with the former.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

The way I've always read that whole thing

Gohan was basically tapping into his true power during that fight. He was WAY stronger than a SSJ2 should have been- which is basically what Super Perfect Cell was. Super Perfect Cell effectively HAD to be SSJ2, just because of how much stronger than a normal SSJ he was before.

So uninjured, Gohan would have just wrecked his poo poo with slightly more difficulty.

I've read it as - if a single blast hosed up SSJ2 Gohan so much that he was barely able to challenge Cell's Kamehameha afterwards, then Cell was probably stronger. At least in the manga, where the final push during Vegeta's distraction took a fraction of a second. In the anime, with Cell going impossible or whatever while Gohan's slowly walking forward it looks like the opposite.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That single blast only accomplished what it did because Gohan let his guard down to protect Vegeta. Ki-defense has always worked the same (outside of filler), if you aren't actually focused on protecting yourself, you're getting hurt, no matter how strong you are.
I'm not sure if he brought his guard down, he did move purposefully to block the shot. But anyway - Back during the 23rd Tenkaichi Piccolo got shot in the arm rendering it useless in the same way. He regenerated the arm itself afterwards, true, but that doesn't restore power levels and he was still able to have just as even fight with Goku (who later on fought with one hosed up arm as well). But it's not like Toriyama spent anywhere near the time thinking about it and making things consistent as we did writing those posts; it doesn't really matter.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

as is it's just funny how they don't even stop to consider the option when he could easily win if they brought him in. it's just an artifact of the story shifting back to goku near the end

Sure they did. When Vegeta mentions wanting to revive everyone on Earth, Goku's first thought is that it will allow them to bring Gohan and Trunks/Goten in, before Geets clarifies that it's Earthlings' time to defend themselves.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

He's a king...

There were/are such things as elective monarchies.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Saibaman #1 performed perfectly

Saibaman #2 would feel really awful that you didn't know his proper name.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

he always lost in quarterfinals. no prelims means he'd lose without doing anything in top, which makes sense when you think about it

Still a better tournament record than Chiaotzu. Who, I believe, we never actually see win a fight in the manga, ever.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

(this, in and of itself, is one of Toriyama's favourite writing techniques: a blatant retcon, since the Dragon Balls didn't even work on people that died over a year ago before).

I don't think this was ever mentioned in the manga.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The x2 is also shouted in the Japanese version but it's a mistake, the base Kaioken is x2. How this mistake happened is beyond me, since it's dumb as hell, but it happened.

It's not even the good kind of dumb like Goku pulling a x100 Kaioken against Lord Slug, somehow. Power levels and even moreso power multipliers are dumb but even in the movie this makes Goku stronger than a Super Saiyan and doesn't seem to have any real consequences, but goddamn, x100? That's the kind of thing that's the right kind of Dragon Ball dumb.

The reason Goku needs to be concentrated during Kaioken is that he needs to multiply his ki in exact integer increments. King Kai forbade using higher multipliers than 2 because he knew Goku would gently caress up his math.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There's 3 years between 22nd and 23rd tournament and 5 years pass (I think) when Raditz comes. As an aside, it's no wonder Piccolo think Gohan is a spoiled brat when he kidnaps him - at Gohan's age he already had a fair shot at conquering the world.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Szmitten posted:

I'm a dum :smith:

No, you're not. If this were a Mercator projection map, by going straight south they'd first go by Penguin Village before flying over the ocean and getting to north pole.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Super Rad posted:

Goku is an especially bad dad because he spent a whole year in close contact with his son

He was also training with him for 3 years straight right before that.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Anyone know if Goat-Wizard from Super manga will be in the anime?

Heard the manga is bad so I'll wait for the anime if its getting adapted.

I think the general thought is that previous manga arc adaptations were kind of meh (with single touches being better than in the anime, like Roshi showing off Ultra Instinct moves), but this Moro stuff is pretty drat good.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

roshi ultra instinct was loving awful, where are you getting this 'general thought' from?

I liked it and when the chapter came out, the thread seemed to like it as well. I'm sorry it shat into your cereal though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah. It's the biggest wish to OG Shenlong, to the point that Kami is genuinely doubtful if it's even possible.

People killed by Vegeta in Namek didn't come back since he wasn't working for Freeza at the time, but there's no reason to believe that those killed by Nappa wouldn't come back since, regardless of reason, he seemed loyal to Freeza.

I was going to say this should've brought back the guys on Kaio's, but now that I think about it, Vegeta/Nappa didn't kill anyone that was still dead - Tien and Chiaotzu died by suicide; Yamcha died to a plant, that I don't think you could count as being a part of an army; and Piccolo was already resurrected by that point.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Tien clearly died without an arm, and returned with his arm fully intact.

That was Porunga.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

'I wish that everytime I get punched I just grow stronger'

Goku: But what if we punched him really really hard.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also the other Namekians already fused and died.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm almost convinced Gohan has perfect eyesight and only uses glasses because that's the expected look for an intelligent scholar like him.

I'm sure he got his eyesight checked and got some glasses after he hosed up catching the potara earings

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

We know that, up until it gets retconed, Gohan will eventually write a book about the inner workings of Ki control which will lead to a world-wide resurgence of martial arts.

But Dr Gero figured it out in his lab sometime after the Red Ribbon army got killed and Freezer arriving at earth. And not only did he figure out Ki Control, he went full throttle ahead and also discovered how to artificially unlock it in humans, how to absorb Ki and manipulate it, and how to create an infinite ki engine that could be safely implanted in teenagers.

Dr Gero was a loving genius who went 100% Ahab and could have changed the world if not for his Goku Hateboner.

Also looked at Sayian era Goku, erred on the safe side and within 4 years made 5 different beings stronger than the space emperor that he didn't even know about, with a sixth one in the tube.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I honestly think Toryiama just forgot that kid Buu was weaker

I don't think so, when Vegeta mentions his plan to resurrect everyone on Earth, Goku is like 'oh, Gohan and kids can come and defeat Buu', and only then Vegeta announces the spirit bomb.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Like Cell?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdP5nizdEgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKuoYCrONzM
Some DBZA interview/behind the scenes stuff.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006526
Convenience link for those outside US, or wherever Viz is available in.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I like this video by PlagueOfGripes where he's basically like "Goku loves fighting, because he met all of his friends that way and had a bunch of fun adventures. Gohan hates fighting, because literally his first experience with it was his (father's) friends and family getting murdered before his eyes when he was 4-years-old. After he was kidnapped for a year and left to die in the wilderness. And then he met Frieza."

Also Cell saga Gohan was still younger than Goku at the beginning of DB. So while Goku was chilling with his adopted grandpa, Gohan already had to deal with 4-5 groups of villains beating/murdering his friends.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Main timeline Gero didn't know about SSJ, so it's fair to say he didn't see first hand the fight with Freeza/Cold either. Gero just looked at Saiyan saga Goku/Vegeta, decided to turn up the power just a wee bit and ended up with half a dozen androids/cyborgs capable of taking over the galaxy.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm in the middle of rewatching of DBZA, and I agree - the quality starts to rise around the point of Vegeta and Nappa arriving on Earth, getting up there at the Goku/Vegeta fight and definitely being good at early-ish Namek.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Multi arm fusion dance.

Edit: multi arm that ki blast barrage that Vegeta does where the opponent walks thru without taking any damage

mmkay fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 5, 2020

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think it kinda worked once.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously Blue 3 would just turn you bald, while growing blue brows down to waist level.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There's something I've remembered now that you mentioned it - the Dragon says he can't do something that surpasses his creator's power, but Kami says during his first meeting with Goku that he can't bring people back from the dead - he can only resurrect Shenlong. I think the dragon is lazy and makes up rules when he doesn't feel like granting a wish :colbert:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Kanos posted:

PiccoloTienYamcha suffered the most from Vegeta'sPiccolo'sTien's permanent absorption into the Cast Of Good Guys, because VegetaPiccoloTien took his role.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s also kind of funny that the introduction of the clones is when he became irrelevant. As after a hard fought battle Goku reveals he was just loving with him the whole time

Tien really should have been more upset about that

At least in the manga Goku wasn't loving with Tien and figured out the clones were horrible after a single attack. Though I'm not sure if this is better or worse, really. Also Tien somehow compliments on Goku figuring out he's getting slower and weaker, so I don't really know what Tien figured out was going to happen in the first place.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Yamcha should be wearing King Kai's kanji on his chest and the Turtle symbol on his back only.
:goonsay:

He probably realized after Cell saga that they didn't actually learn poo poo from King Kai and went back to the old gi.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TheHan posted:

GT Bulma that summons SSJ4 Vegeta for all her moves.

Dodging is just using the shrinking watch over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Just lol at the idea of Toriyama writing down any outline and not making up everything as he goes along.