Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For Cauli I have to assume fighting Goku was such a relieving experience, because for once in her life someone actually gets her. Like him, she has the pure desire to become the strongest, and is willing to ask for aid in achieving that. She also throws Kale into the fight because of her "Potential" again, without considering that like Gohan before her, Kale is less there because she wants to fight and more there to be with Cauli. I love these characters and this arc so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Covok posted:

I really hope Universe 6 doesn't get erased. I bet they're going to pull a "you had the same number of people at the end so your universe stays" thing.

It would suck so much to build up so many characters to just erase them at the end of this arc. And like... Marketing would argue so hard against it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Covok posted:

To be frank, it wouldn't exactly be a new thing for Dragonball, though. Or shonen in general for that matter. I mean, let's look at One Piece. One Piece lives on introducing 1000s of characters every Arc only for them to be forgotten at the end of the arc. Yes, I know that one occasionally returns, they get a shout out in the cover-page-snapshot story from time to time and such, but they are essentially gone. Marketing seems to let One Piece get away with that.

Yes but One Piece doesn't erase those characters from existence.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kale, at the Apex of becoming her SS form which is probably Shin Super Saiyan if they don't just use LSS (I actually hope it isn't LSS, but only for the inevitable "And now we market this game by giving Broly this new form, Kale's SS form, which is just LSS!") is almost undoubtedly stronger than SSB.

At the same time, the form is such a drain that it's basically Golden Frieza x100, or SS3 x1000. It's not something you can reasonably keep up for any period of time in an endurance fight. There was a reason Piccolo told Gohan not to get involved, it was because Kale was already powering down to a state where Goku could beat her, despite her initial advantage.

Really though, even though Kale was cool, my focus was more on Cauli this episode. She's amazing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I've been re-watching Dragon Ball Z and I can't believe how gay Gohan is for his big green daddy.

You know there's more kinds of affection than romantic. And for the majority of DBZ that Gohan is 4.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

multijoe posted:

Also Jesus Christ Jiren have you heard of teamwork? Way to let half your team get murked dude what the gently caress

Toppo ordered him to conserve power, so he did so.

Covok posted:

Anyone else really loving annoyed that both Gohan and Goku have the same voice actor? Like I'm constantly confusing the two.

I mean they aren't the only ones. All of the Frieza's are voiced by the same dude too. Yajirobe and Krillin share a VA, In fact it's probably MORE shocking that Trunks wasn't voiced by Vegeta's VA.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

so Unless leaks are wrong, Goku goes Super Saiyan God during the ToP So that's a thing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, what are the chances that Freeza is still holding on to some Hakai energy from the assassins, and that's what he intends to recharge Goku with? Especially since it was made a big deal before that Goku couldn't surpass or control it, I could see Freeza being all "You're going to absorb this, or it's going to kill you. Do or die."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku's walked out on more tournaments than he's won

That's got a lot to do with Roshi instilling the mentality in him that winning the tournament is not actually important. I mean... it was to Goku until he did it, but even that was more of a vector to "Fight Strong Guys" Roshi didn't want his students to become complacent and give up the study of martial arts, and Goku clearly hasn't done that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

quote:

When Toppo tells Jiren about the upcoming Tournament of Power, he initially refuses to enter by saying it's his duty to protect the peace of Universe 11. But he won’t destroy other universes to save his own. If Universe 11 loses the tournament, that’s just their own fate.

God of Destruction, Belmod arrives and tells Jiren he can fulfill his wish once he wins the Tournament of Power after granting Super Dragon Balls as the prize. That’s the only reason Jiren finally agrees to go, but on the one condition.

“If any troubles occur in Universe 11, I will immediately return.”

So Jiren is basically way more "Superman" his introduction is him saying he flew all the way through space to the planet, reasoning "It's faster" then pointing out that before they do anything about fighting the bad guys, they need to rescue the civilians. He's very much the 'Super Hero'

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also, the reason Toppo is the God of Destruction candidate, and not Jiren, is because Jiren doesn't want to kill ANYONE so he's completely unfit for the role.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Honestly it makes sense in retrospect. He doesn't want to fight anyone and just tells them all to buzz off, he stopped Kale's likely soon to me killer rampage, and he's just so darn polite waiting for Goku to finish his Spirit Bomb.

Does make me wonder what his plan is, though. Is he just caught in indecision? Is he hoping he can win by just standing in the center being invincible while everyone knocks each other out?

Perhaps his meditation is actually him checking on-

Burkion posted:

Well thankfully he doesn't have to kill people to win.

I also suspect that his mediation is actually him keeping an eye on U11.

That. It's very clear he has 'A Wish' in mind, since that was the only thing that could actually spur him into taking action in the tournament, but it doesn't seem to be related to reviving the other universes since it's something he's wanted from before the ToP was announced. That's another interesting facet of his character. What do you get for the man who appears to have everything? Is it a generic concept of Universal Peace? Or is he going to use the Dragon Balls to bring someone back from the dead, since Universe 11 doesn't even have Basic Dragon Balls.

That would actually be hilarious. "These super dragon balls might have the power to resurrect the dead." "You want to bring someone back? We have loads of dragon balls that can do that!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So Jiren has an arm mounted ray-gun which turns dudes into spherical capsules, because as Belmond says Jiren is so devoted to his principles he wont even take the life of someone evil. The only thing that exists is his "Wish" which could make him throw away his principles.

Belmond certainly has a very dark face going on too

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Also to go with his Superman homage, Jiren flys with his hands outstretched

I'm going to assume that "Human" actually means "Mortal" but if it wasn't, that at least loving explains why he says 28, like if it's 28 planets of HUMANOIDS then that's one thing,

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The manga also makes it incredibly clear that the Zeno's were already thinking of blowing up the universes, why?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fartbox posted:

The new and improved Frieza is my favourite fighter in this tournament.

Him standing around doing his OOOOOO HO HO HO laugh while observing everyone else is great. Him not being phased at all by all the insane powerups is great. I hope he gets a good time in the spotlight before he gets tossed out

Listen, once you've seen a jumped up Monkey go Gold and Blue you really stop letting yourself get shocked by these things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

Clue me in because I don't get it.

The final scene song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJU4GrXztE

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Gohan needed Piccolo to save his rear end a bunch of times too, what's the difference?

Hell, Goku needed 18 to come help him twice.

Don't let your guard down, Goku

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bardock and Gine rule and Dragon Ball Minus showing that the grand event that kept Raditz and Vegeta safe was Vegeta being like "Nah, I'm not going home, we'll say we didn't get the message." is awesome.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Idk how people can’t follow the very basic message of a Sunday morning cartoon

People are very dumb

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dias posted:

how so?

I'm proposing Jiren is a loner, a selfish dude that doesn't really care about his team other than having them advance his agenda, which is surviving, really. He saved Dypso because he was around at the time, and he seemed kinda upset he had to do it. He didn't go around saving people from Kefla, c'mon. His first "team" was him trying to beat up the random evil person and they all got wrecked too. He also doesn't seem to try unless he thinks the adversary is worth his time. Jiren is a cocky Superman and nothing in the anime has undermined his characterization so far.

If you think Jiren is... anything like Superman even "A cocky Superman" then you have not read or paid any attention to Superman, at all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

esperterra posted:

There was a minute left like two episodes ago, so I wouldn't be surprised at all and tbh expect the tournament to end by time running out, not by even ringing Jiren out.

The time pillar fell in the last bout. Who knows if that means "We can't tell the time" or "gently caress IT UNLIMITED TIME!"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think we've known this for at least a decade. It was also a cost saver, they went through so much drat toner.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fartbox posted:

Was there only one female god of destruction and was she the one who was in charge of the joke universe?

The female GoD wasn't in Charge of Universe 9/10/4

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I was looking around Melbourne restaurants for good places to eat and stumbled across this.

It looks... horrifying but I'm thinking to myself "I can't not eat something called a Super Saiyan God Burger..." And so I looked on their website which saved me.

Super Saiyan 4's? Those aren't no Super Saiyan Gods, this burger is a lie!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Momomo posted:

How the hell does Frieza keep finding these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ZYBfvuMqE

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RBX posted:

Like anybody in this thread wasn't gonna see it in theaters.

I'm not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Same but to be fair that has nothing to do with Broly.

I'm just a broke rear end bitch who can barely make rent each month.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

EDIT: don't read half the posts half way through

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

the original score SUCKS

It's okay to be wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm a weird dragon ball fan because young me absolutely despised it. I didn't find it cool, it took too long, it didn't help I was watching it on Cheeze TV in the 90's so we still had the "Reset the series" moments when Goku got off the ship. I was just supremely bored with it and didn't care.

It was as an adult, that going back to it (and more importantly, Dragon Ball) let me see how much I could appreciate it now

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I genuinely loved that filler arc as a kid. In retrospect it's a bit of a shame the only time Chi-Chi got to be in the limelight was filler though.

Makes sense when you remember

1. Toriyama disliked drawing Chi-Chi
2. He only married her to Goku because he figured he'd have to draw her if they were married.
3. He still tried to avoid drawing her.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

snickothemule posted:

Seeing that wall of posters reminds me when the show first aired on glorious Cheez TV, I endednup with some rando magazine that had rundowns of all the characters from z to gt with dodgy looking vhs captures and a summary of movie plots. I wish I could find it as it was a trove of strange occult knowledge during the dark times of Recoome reruns.

K-Zone

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Lani better get ready to gush over Canon Broly just as much. Maybe even be in the theater and just have a Vegeta watching Vegeta audio track like some kind of MST3k thing.

They did it rifftrax over dbe so potentially

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The original series turned me off as a kid so I don't suggest anyone go for it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

What's wrong with saying a character's poo poo?

EDIT: for clarification, I'm asking why people feel the need to go "Mary-Sue" or whatnot, just say "They're poo poo. I don't like them because they are bad"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 4, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't understand what it means for Goku to be close to becoming a god

It's a really old JttW thing, that mortals can achieve divinity through enlightenment. So at the end of Journey To The West, Wukong ascends to 'Buddha Victorious In Battle' at the end of the Journey

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

But he wasn't Enlightened.

This, Godhood isn't about immortality, but rather enlightenment of the self. That's why Pigsy doesn't ascend like the rest, because he's too lost in earthly desires and hasn't achieved enlightenment. And why when they're asked how many trials and tribulations they faced, when it's learned it's one short of predicted, they're immediately dropped on the journey home so they can have one last trial. It's not about being powerful enough to eradicate God's testicles with a heel kick, it's about understanding why the heel kick is used in the first place.

I mean... it's in Goku's name "Awakened to Emptiness"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Unpopular Opinion. 16 wasn't wrong. Gohan IS a coward, people have literally died for him and he still failed to overcome himself. Sometimes you need a slap as much as you need a hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Well the payoff here is that Gohan is going to gently caress up so bad his dad is going to have to kill himself to salvage the situation...

Everyone makes mistakes