Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Just start stabbing stuff. Their tires, the doors, the windows, the mailbox, the boyfriend, just really get into the art of stab.

That's your answer for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
From your description they are almost certainly selling drugs, and if they aren't selling you can bet they're at least doing them like crazy.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
I agree with staying as anonymous as possible while trying to include other annoyed neighbors in a concerted effort to alert police/cps/etc.

sand in the gas tank would own unless you got caught then you're suddenly the crazy rear end in a top hat

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

old.flv posted:

sand in the gas tank would own unless you got caught then you're suddenly the crazy rear end in a top hat
Fuel filters exist.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

old.flv posted:

..... unless you got caught then you're suddenly the crazy rear end in a top hat

This is true of a lot of things, eg punji stick traps.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's either a tweaker house or a crack house, how tf is that not obvious. Cops probably won't do much about it either. Unless you live in a miraculously uncorrupt area, in most places any reputable crackhouse will just pay off the police on a weekly or monthly basis. Add to that that cops are generally afraid of gang poo poo (when they aren't directly profiting), which if they're selling any meaningful amount of drugs out of there, it's gang connected, your best bet is to get the landlord to start doing whatever he has to to evict them. Shutting down drug houses is actually really complicated and non-trivial for the police. It's not as simple as just sending an undercover in or something.

It sounds like you live in the US? What state is this in? If you live in a richer state and county you might have a chance of getting this shut down. If you're in a broke state with a drug problem, good luck, there's about fuckall the police can do without the landlord being on board.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Can't the cops just go in shoot everyone? If it's in the US I mean.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's either a tweaker house or a crack house, how tf is that not obvious. Cops probably won't do much about it either. Unless you live in a miraculously uncorrupt area, in most places any reputable crackhouse will just pay off the police on a weekly or monthly basis. Add to that that cops are generally afraid of gang poo poo (when they aren't directly profiting), which if they're selling any meaningful amount of drugs out of there, it's gang connected, your best bet is to get the landlord to start doing whatever he has to to evict them. Shutting down drug houses is actually really complicated and non-trivial for the police. It's not as simple as just sending an undercover in or something.

It sounds like you live in the US? What state is this in? If you live in a richer state and county you might have a chance of getting this shut down. If you're in a broke state with a drug problem, good luck, there's about fuckall the police can do without the landlord being on board.

Lol the police are too afraid and corrupt but the loving landlord is gonna man up and kick them out? Where the gently caress do you live in a Charles Bronson movie?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When I was student we had a pretty bad neighbour who called the police on us three times for making noise, even though we were doing nothing more than just watching TV. Two of those times the police ended up giving him a talking to instead of us. He tried to kick our door in once, banged on our windows in the middle of the night and sometimes we could hear him running up the stairs, across the room and throwing himself against the adjoining wall.

In retrospect he most likely had some mental issues and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a catch-all solution for dealing with bad neighbours, but it worked for us. We threw a rotting mattress into his back garden and all the problems stopped.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 22, 2017

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I'm not trying to touch the poop here but I am curious as to the race of the people that moved in?

The reason I ask is because I lived in a lovely apartment where the guy across the way was definitely selling crack cocaine (and one of his customers even left a nice crack pipe with a little crack nugget in it in the hallway) and doing the loud music, gently caress the neighbors thing. But it was annoying that it was 24/7 people coming over, yelling, and leaving in a few minutes.

I called the landlord and they said they didn't want to get involved, as they had already talked to the people there and the tenants had threatened to file a discrimination complaint because they were black, so the rental company refused to do anything.

I called the cops several times (including a picture of the literal crackpipe in the hallway, and the occasional baggie / glass crack vial) and they one time showed up; the tenants threatened discrimination lawsuit (you're just here because you're black and you pigs love harassing us people of color, etc). Since the cop didn't spot any crack in the open and it wasn't obvious that anything was going on right at that time, he left, and said basically they were not getting involved, as the department had gotten harassment complaints. This was during the Ferguson deal, but I imagine it holds true today. So keep in mind that you may be treading on dangerous territory here; most landlords / cops don't want a discrimination lawsuit and its unlikely that they're gonna catch anything in the act on the first try.

Definitely try CPS if there are kids in the house. Also try the landlord. But you may not be able to do anything about it; cops/landlord often see a crackhouse as better than a $2,000,000 discrimination settlement.

I solved the problem by moving; a year later I went back and saw a friend there and the neighbor was still there, blaring music, and getting lots of real quick visits.

Note: this is Los Angeles, however, so it may not apply to where you are if you're out more in a rural / smaller area.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
If you have someone illegally parking in your driveway, look to see what the towing laws are in your state. You might be able to call the cops and they will call for a tow of the vehicle. If you've already warned them once, then it's their fuckin problem.

Also, I deal with a lot of mandated reporting situations with working at a school...ANYONE can file a report to CPS regarding child mistreatment or abuse. However, it's amazing how far something has to go sometimes to be considered abuse and often times very little will happen because the regulations state otherwise. However, if you are able to video any of the incidents, I would highly recommend that because the better the evidence, the more likely something will happen.

Also, for cars sitting in the middle of the street, if you can get a photo of the license plate, I would forward it on to the police...while they probably can't do anything immediate, they might run the plate and get a hit. That would be something that they can keep an eye on.

Another thing would be to contact the local media station about possibly doing a story on local crackhouses and get them aware of what's going on...it's a long shot, but public shaming is a potential option as well.

The late night noise thing is absolute bullshit though. I would call every single time on that one...even if it's 10:01. People have jobs and poo poo to get to and no one should be that lovely to their neighbors... Fri/Sat night is one thing... but during the work week? Hell no.

Another thing to look into is if your state has a section 8 (low income) housing inspector. You could potentially find out if that's a section 8 rental and let them know what's going on. Often times they have to send inspectors in order for properties to be eligible and if they find a bunch of poo poo they will get on the landlord to fix issues or lose the eligibility.. Might be a long shot, but if you are striking out elsewhere that might be a thing.

Also, don't forget general complaints to the city, especially if you are in a smaller town. There might be other ordinances they are breaking...

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
OP needs to update

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Just start stabbing stuff. Their tires, the doors, the windows, the mailbox, the boyfriend, just really get into the art of stab.

Xenocides posted:

That's your answer for everything.

That's a good answer.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Username and post combo

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

du -hast posted:

I'm not trying to touch the poop here but I am curious as to the race of the people that moved in?

The reason I ask is because I lived in a lovely apartment where the guy across the way was definitely selling crack cocaine (and one of his customers even left a nice crack pipe with a little crack nugget in it in the hallway) and doing the loud music, gently caress the neighbors thing. But it was annoying that it was 24/7 people coming over, yelling, and leaving in a few minutes.

I called the landlord and they said they didn't want to get involved, as they had already talked to the people there and the tenants had threatened to file a discrimination complaint because they were black, so the rental company refused to do anything.

I called the cops several times (including a picture of the literal crackpipe in the hallway, and the occasional baggie / glass crack vial) and they one time showed up; the tenants threatened discrimination lawsuit (you're just here because you're black and you pigs love harassing us people of color, etc). Since the cop didn't spot any crack in the open and it wasn't obvious that anything was going on right at that time, he left, and said basically they were not getting involved, as the department had gotten harassment complaints. This was during the Ferguson deal, but I imagine it holds true today. So keep in mind that you may be treading on dangerous territory here; most landlords / cops don't want a discrimination lawsuit and its unlikely that they're gonna catch anything in the act on the first try.

Definitely try CPS if there are kids in the house. Also try the landlord. But you may not be able to do anything about it; cops/landlord often see a crackhouse as better than a $2,000,000 discrimination settlement.

I solved the problem by moving; a year later I went back and saw a friend there and the neighbor was still there, blaring music, and getting lots of real quick visits.

Note: this is Los Angeles, however, so it may not apply to where you are if you're out more in a rural / smaller area.

Post the pic of the "nice" crackpipe with the crack nugget left in it.

Or don't because all of this is (hilariously racist) STDH

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

empty whippet box posted:

Post the pic of the "nice" crackpipe with the crack nugget left in it.

Or don't because all of this is (hilariously racist) STDH

We're all waiting breathlessly over here.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hello lovely neighbor friend. I have an rear end in a top hat family right next door that is every bad neighbor stereotype in the book. I myself am a Latina, so I know how Spanish families are, having come from one. These people are the kind of pure trash that make the rest of us look bad. Unleashed dog, a pet rooster, shady guests parking halfway into our yard, domestic disputes, kids running wild, you name it. All of that was okay except for the music. They would blast their music in a truck and stand outside on their front lawn drinking beer like King of the Hill. They played loud godawful samba from 1pm-3am or later on random days, their favorite being SUNDAY night. Right before almost everyone's worst workday. I let them do this poo poo Fridays and Saturdays, because no one wants to be the No Fun Allowed lovely neighbor on the opposite end of the spectrum, but Sundays were too much.

I knew talking to them would be worthless, so after making sure they were playing music after the appointed time I'd call the cops. Every single time the music was playing after 12am. I know for a fact the patriarch of the garbageheap pretended to not know English at least once when the cops came by. I just kept calling, politely, leaving anonymous tips. Clearly something was going on there where they really didn't like the attention of the cops, because finally after a few weeks of this back-and-forth it mostly stopped. The rear end in a top hat father would glare daggers at us, and sometimes throw poo poo in out front and backyards, but at least we could get some goddamn sleep at night.

Now he's joined forces with the stereotypical white trash neighbor nearby who vrooms the fart pipes on his beater pickup in his driveway and they've moved their parties to random other houses in the neighborhood. It's still loud enough to go through my fan AND my dehumidifiers going at full blast, but it's ignorable and not vibrating the house from its bass anymore.

The sad fact, OP, is all you can really do is spam the cops and either endure it by drowning out the noise or moving out as soon as possible.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think they've invented the problem that a lot of violence can't solve.

Not that I'm suggesting that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In the US apparently, everyone has a gun, and crime is rampant due to the failing society. My instinct on reading this thread is "just go talk to them and ask for them to quiet down" but if it's a crime gang, they will kill you I guess. Bad luck. :(

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

doverhog posted:

In the US apparently, everyone has a gun, and crime is rampant due to the failing society. My instinct on reading this thread is "just go talk to them and ask for them to quiet down" but if it's a crime gang, they will kill you I guess. Bad luck. :(

Trashy people who constantly making a ton of noise don't care about their neighbors or requests to lower the noise.

GagReflex
May 7, 2003

Aces! Another GBS pants-shitting thread...

doverhog posted:

My neighbor has a gun. And he was shooting my cats with it as they were sitting on the back fence (block wall) minding their own god-damned business. Sniping them with a BB gun. That's where he made the big mistake because we saw him doing it. It was all I could do to keep from scaling the fence and pounding his snowflake rear end right into the dirt. Had to let it go for the moment. That night, I took a stuffed cat (toy, not a real one that's been turned into a drone or anything) wrote a little note to the dear neighbor, placed it in kitty's hands, and hung it over the fence on a piece of string. It said "Don't shoot me. I SHOOT BACK! We saw you shooting our cats. You're a douche!" Don't think the idiot realized I have guns that I could saw his house in half with and enough ammo to do so.

He instantly poo poo his britches and called the cops and admitted shooting the cats. Showed the cop the gun he used to do so, then offered some song and dance about cat allergies. That's funny, you never said a word about allergies when you were PETTING THE CATS on the fence, doucheknuckle!

Cop then came around and talked to me and said "Please don't shoot him. It's a lot of paperwork and poo poo. Here's my report number and if he does it again, call me, I'll file animal abuse charges against him."

Neighbors can really suck donkey dick at times. Especially this one. My other neighbors are all great.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Trashy people who constantly making a ton of noise don't care about their neighbors or requests to lower the noise.

In that case you go over there again, and make yourself such an annoyance to them that whatever they are doing that's making noise is no longer fun for them. Or not if you think they'll shoot you...

Last time I had a problem with a neighbour making noise at night I rang their doorbell and they stopped making noise without even opening the door to hear what it was about. :shrug:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Or get a loudspeaker with something really atonal and blast it right back at them....maybe they'll get the hint...put on youtube

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hide a speaker somewhere really clever right outside their window and play this through it at 4 am as they are asleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGovCafPQAE&t=187s

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When I was a kid we had a very nice cat who we had to put to sleep after his pelvis was shattered from an rear end in a top hat neighbor's kid's bb gun. :( RIP lil buddy. Guns are bad.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
One thing I've noticed about suspected drug houses is the one thing that sets them apart from normal annoying neighbors is the noise and the lack of respect for neighbors.

My condo building had a problem with people with no volume control on their voices and petty acts of vandalism (like dragging the lobby's Christmas tree out the front door leaving a mess of broken ornaments and poo poo) and messes left in common areas of the building. Then when the cops finally shut down the suite that was running the fentanyl operation the place became a million times better.

OP, assuming you haven't been shanked with a broken toothbrush yet, you have yourself a drug den in your neighborhood.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Call the drat police. Jeezy.

Or call CPS and relate that cute li'l toddler abuse story; they may well call other authorities and you won't have to.

This is a LOT harder than you might think, when you're a reasonable person who gives people the benefit of the doubt. Unless you actually exaggerate or make stuff up that was 99% likely to be true, you are still giving them a load of "it smells really bad, like burning plastic all the time... They are always outside on the phone at night and lots of cars come by.. they don't speak any English so its really hard to communicate about parking mishaps"

And then you sound like a judgemental rear end in a top hat. I guess it depends on where you live?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you think it's a drug den why are you talking about vague "it smells like plastic" poo poo. "I think this place is a drug den please send the police and CPS."

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

doverhog posted:

If you think it's a drug den why are you talking about vague "it smells like plastic" poo poo. "I think this place is a drug den please send the police and CPS."

Dude. I worked normal hours and then - I didn't- so I was one of those weird "at home all the time people", but this bizarre smell of plastic/garlilc came through my townhouse every Wednesday and Sunday at a time that nobody else was home. It's really expensive here and everyone works at an office or can't afford their house. When my boyfriend got home, he would be like "what? what are you talking about" ? "quit whining" or "yeah I maybe smell SOMETHING. Stop being RACIST" because they were Dominican. It was so bad that it chased me out of my own house a couple times because I was getting light-headed.

I have to say that after about 18 months when I did call the police and I gave them all the license plate numbers of the people that parked there, they did move out shortly.I don't actually know if it was related.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

DoggPickle posted:

Dude. I worked normal hours and then - I didn't- so I was one of those weird "at home all the time people", but this bizarre smell of plastic/garlilc came through my townhouse every Wednesday and Sunday at a time that nobody else was home. It's really expensive here and everyone works at an office or can't afford their house. When my boyfriend got home, he would be like "what? what are you talking about" ? "quit whining" or "yeah I maybe smell SOMETHING. Stop being RACIST" because they were Dominican. It was so bad that it chased me out of my own house a couple times because I was getting light-headed.

I hope you're not still with that boyfriend, because he sounds like a total poo poo.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I hope you're not still with that boyfriend, because he sounds like a total poo poo.

I won't stick up for him, because in the end = yeah haha he was a total poo poo, but that's unrelated! But that really didn't have anything to do with the fact that NOBODY else could smell what was going on during the day (including him) and it genuinely made me feel a bit crazy for a while.

What would you do if it smelled like garlic/burning plastic twice a week but then magically went away whenever anyone else came home/over?? I tried to have a girlfriend come over on a weekday when she happened to be home sick from work on the right day, but it was a no-go. ALL my friends worked day jobs at offices and I really started to feel like I was making it up.

I probably would have just given up and decided that I was crazy if it weren't for having two small dogs who I was sure that like the Canary in the Coalmine, were probably being affected worse than I was. If this smell was making me nauseous at about 10 am twice a week, it had to be effecting them. (un)fortunately they never showed any signs?

When they moved it, it stopped immediately.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I'd assume someone is cleaning an oven probably. Or that you have an oven that does an auto-cleaning cycle twice a week. IDK any drugs that smell like garlic. DMT smells like burning plastic, sort of, but I don't think anyone is smoking dmt on that kind of schedule, much less while affording to live in an expensive area.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

doverhog posted:

In the US apparently, everyone has a gun, and crime is rampant due to the failing society.

Definitely no crime, racism, injustice, poverty, or other problems elsewhere in the world. Also, sorry you're not allowed to defend yourself from criminals or wild animals. Or have any leverage against a potential tyrannical government. Guns rule.

GagReflex posted:

My neighbor has a gun. And he was shooting my cats with it as they were sitting on the back fence [...] Sniping them with a BB gun.

Not a gun. A gun works by an explosion of powder which propels a bullet down the barrel at deadly velocity. A BB gun uses an air charge to propel much smaller ball-bearing (BB) at a much lower velocity. Can still hurt someone good with one.

Especially a loving cat. That doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to talk tough, but you gotta either punch your neighbor in the face first thing or take him down, grind him into his lawn while you call him a bitch and tell him you're going to shove that BB gun up his rear end and empty it. gently caress that. That's worse than the OP, just haven't some humble entrepreneurs trying to make it in this broken society.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

fartzone_42069 posted:

Definitely no crime, racism, injustice, poverty, or other problems elsewhere in the world. Also, sorry you're not allowed to defend yourself from criminals or wild animals. Or have any leverage against a potential tyrannical government. Guns rule.

Don't forget being convenient excuses to shoot unarmed black people and children, what great things!

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I'm just gonna go with the "gun laws just hurt legal gun owners, Prohibition and how that went, etc."

And say that we probably just disagree. I'm not compiling "sources" or getting into a gun argument. I think they're fascinating, fun, and I think my friends and family should be able to protect themselves if they want. I don't own any gun(s) myself, and I'm way off topic. So, I'll concede No Contest. Collect the Guns!

As far as the OP's case. You call the cops, and hope they come and stake out for awhile to "collect evidence" or whatever. Then hopefully one day you get to watch them storm in there with the door smasher thing and stuff.

e: I can actually ask a cop friend what the best way is to get a drug house shut down. Hang tight.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

fartzone_42069 posted:

I'm just gonna go with the "gun laws just hurt legal gun owners, Prohibition and how that went, etc."

And say that we probably just disagree. I'm not compiling "sources" or getting into a gun argument. I think they're fascinating, fun, and I think my friends and family should be able to protect themselves if they want. I don't own any gun(s) myself, and I'm way off topic. So, I'll concede No Contest. Collect the Guns!

As far as the OP's case. You call the cops, and hope they come and stake out for awhile to "collect evidence" or whatever. Then hopefully one day you get to watch them storm in there with the door smasher thing and stuff.

e: I can actually ask a cop friend what the best way is to get a drug house shut down. Hang tight.

Yeah, gently caress those kids that get killed, the giant man children want their neat shooty toys.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I work with cops and can say from experience that they get annoyed at being called to the same place over and over for the same thing to the point they will find any reason they can to take your rear end to jail and shut you the gently caress up. Just keep calling the cops and eventually the neighbors will stop because they don't want the cops around, or someone will go to jail eventually because they ran their mouth or did something stupid in front of the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Landlord. It's the landlord's house & investment; the landlord is the only person with the ability to do anything about the situation. Get the other neighbors in on the plan as well. If you go to the city, the city is going to take your complaint to the landlord, which could be even better. In either event, do get the other neighbors to join in the complaint so you don't look like a lone rear end in a top hat.

Don't go over there and try to talk to them; you're not describing the behavior of some lovable fratbros with impaired senses of community. This isn't an episode of Leave it to Beaver. People are getting loving shot these days over nothing. They'll start loving with your cars and who knows what else.

Best case is that the lease is non-renewed and you'll only have to deal with them for another few months. You're not going to get an eviction unless they're actually caught selling drugs or some poo poo. Even then it's not likely. But, if you do nothing, chances are this will go on for years.

If they (the scumbags across the street) renew the lease another year then consider selling your house; poo poo's just going to go downhill and your other good neighbors will jump ship before you do.

FYI never be a landlord unless you want to deal with poo poo like this.

• Locked thread