Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

AsInHowe posted:

This is what I do too, with two credit cards (one for monthly bills, one for business expenses). It's the best way to do things, because you're getting the plus of paying things on time, and the plus of using the credit system to do so.

It really helps for business expenses, because each statement becomes the expense list for last month. It's great. I'm also getting points for things, which will eventually be used for some airfare in 2018.

The reason why not is that the cultural norms that Dave Ramsey taps into are totally binary. Credit cards are always bad, because they were bad for me and others, therefore, they must always be bad. They can't be good, because they are bad. It's not the credit cards' fault they were abused, but the responsibility shifts to that object that must always be bad.
It always seemed like Ramsey's deal was targeted at people who already failed to navigate the good/bad credit problem, so no credit for them was the least destructive option available. It seems kind of like addiction recovery in that sense. For most people it's entirely possible to enjoy alcohol responsibly, but if you're in a group of people who very much can't the talk is going to be much more binary and dogmatic.

This is based mostly on listening to the show occasionally in the early-mid 2000's, so I might be giving too much credit to the premise that it's for people who actually did make bad choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread