Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

This thread is for general financial discussion, especially in regards to bad popular advice, bad ideas, and generally pervasive ideas that are doing harm (or doing help).

One of the first hits today online for news about budgets: Self-made millionaires agree: You don't need a budget. Here's what to do instead

quote:

Budgets can be tedious. And once they're made, they're often hard to stick to. The good news is, they're not as mandatory as you may think.

"Take those budgets you've been struggling with and throw them in the garbage," writes self-made millionaire David Bach in his book "The Automatic Millionaire."

Instead of budgeting, pay yourself first, says Bach. Meaning, the first dollars out of your paycheck should go to you: your retirement accounts, your investments and your savings. Next, cover all of your fixed costs, such as rent, insurance and car payments, and then live off of whatever is left over.

It's the opposite of budgeting, but it works, says Bach: "The reason [most people] think they need a budget is to help them figure out how much to pay everyone else, so at the end of the month — or year, or their working life — they will have something 'left over' to pay themselves. Pay yourself first and you change everything around you for the better."

He's not the only self-made millionaire who says you don't need to be good with budgeting to take control of your finances.

Bobbi Brown, who used the Yellow Pages to launch her career and build a cosmetics empire, could never stick to a budget, she tells online investing service Wealthsimple.

Rather than focusing on how she should be spending her money and where she could be cutting back, she chose to focus on earning. It's something her dad taught her, she tells Wealthsimple: "He said, 'Forget about following a budget. Why don't you just figure out how you're going to make more money.'"

"Even when I was at my company, I never worried about not having the money to do certain projects," the entrepreneur continues. "It was, 'Okay, okay, we don't have the budget, but how are we going to do it anyway?' Because what I am great at is competition. I like to sell a lot of things. I like to make money. I like to turn a profit. I like figuring out how to get it done."

Everyone's situation is different and budgeting can be a highly effective way to save money — but if it's just not for you, as Bach and Brown share, you have other options.

:shepspends: Put money into your investments before you pay your rent or auto payments! Just figure out how to make more money and ignore thinking about budgets or possible future expenses!

Selection bias and the just world play big roles in these just-so stories about how to be successful, in everything from career advice to budgeting to finances to the economy more broadly. Two "self-made" millionaires said it so clearly it must be a sound financial strategy. You never get to see the article about the people who didn't budget and wound up in massive debt, or who paid thousands on a certification course but never saw it pan out, or who worked extra hard for the company only to be replaced anyway because the idea that this world is not solely driven by personal responsibility and that luck and circumstances beyond your control play a large role in people's lives is one people don't like to accept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread