Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If I'm so smart, why aren't I rich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joe-Bob posted:

Sin, OP. Maybe you should start tithing?

Dammit I knew there was something

Joe-Bob posted:

Sin, OP. Maybe you should start tithing?

I'm really interested in the intersection between grifters like Ramsey and conservatism in general. He's got to be pretty popular with churches. They surely deal with a lot of congregants with serious financial needs that come with stagnant wages and rising health costs. However, at least in American Evangelical circles any thoughts of economic justice are socially unacceptable. Plus, tithes!

I come from this background, and I'm just astonished at how successfully right wing economic thought has captured such a huge group of religious people. One bit of nuance that really gets lost when talking about Evangelicals is that prosperity gospel is pretty fringe among conservative Christians in the US. At least officially, most theologians and pastors would completely reject explicit connections between wealth and godliness. However, it seems that the leadership is essentially bought and paid for by the Republican party since at least Brown v. Board of Education - they've gained the world and lost their soul.

This contradiction makes it possible for Ramsey to exist. A bit of moralistic nonsense gets used to answer a question that's not really allowed to get asked.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

The short version: there's a huge demographic overlap between people vulnerable to con artists and people vulnerable to right-wing politics.

• Locked thread