Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphairon
May 5, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A LIBERTARIAN PIECE OF SHIT AND TONGUING RON PAUL'S BIGOTED ASSHOLE WHILE HE BEATS A GAY COUPLE TO DEATH WITH A GOLDEN DILDO AND JERKS OFF TO A PICTURE OF THE CONFEDERATE RAG WHILE WATCHING ATLAS SHRUGGED IN 3D

AsInHowe posted:

The problem with simply being debt-free and hoarding cash is that you're not building up credit if the problem has more than you can afford, and that your lifestyle is now completely controlled by your finances instead of your finances being a part of your life. I've had potential clients come in that are completely unprepared for certain things, because they are doing the Dave Ramsey stuff and haven't done things to build up credit.

Your point is probably right in an American context, but man, whenever I read about this it strikes me as incredibly odd. This might just be a result of cultural priming and the American system might actually be superior in some way, but still.

The idea of "building up credit" is completely foreign to my Euro neck of the woods. As someone with precarious and irregular income, my credit card limit is €100 and 10 years ago I might not even have gotten a credit card. If I go into debt and pay it off, nothing improves for me. But if I fail to pay up, I'll have to deal with lifelong (not sure about that) negative entries in a debtor archive, which might end up costing me loan, housing or even employment opportunities.

So when I think of debt, I think "this can only make it worse for you", and someone like Ramsey immediately makes sense to me. And I suppose Americans could be excused for feeling that way if they were unfamiliar with the American system of "credit building".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread