Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

serious sam 3 has the best gun feel in the series and they waste a third of the game on a COD "parody"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They've already passed last year's total (excluding the matching grant from that year). 2016 final tally was $31,584. they're at $37,694 already

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This guy keeps ragging on this game (Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom) but it actually looks pretty fun.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Pakled posted:

This guy keeps ragging on this game (Attack on Titan: Wings of Freedom) but it actually looks pretty fun.

I dig the show and this looks like a pretty decent realization of some of the stuff in the show.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

mangler103 posted:

I dig the show and this looks like a pretty decent realization of some of the stuff in the show.

It's more fun to watch than play. If you're not a speed run tier player, the controls are somewhat clunky (particularly the boosting around) and at the end of the day every encounter is still "grapple, swing around behind, swing sword" except taking five times as long. That adds up when you're required to kill 10+ titans, to say the least... not to mention some of the side quests and triggers being rather annoying to reach and accomplish without already knowing what's going to occur.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

San Andreas is ready for a GDQ imo. It's got so much goofy tech, and sub-5 hours is pretty dang good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Rayman looks like the kind of platformer where I'd find the hitboxes of everything extremely infuriating.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Studio posted:

San Andreas is ready for a GDQ imo. It's got so much goofy tech, and sub-5 hours is pretty dang good.

Yeah, I watched it yesterday and it was pretty entertaining, I would recommend for a watch if you want a solid (albeit a bit long) run.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The few glances I made at World of Final Fantasy makes that game seem terrible. Load screens after every battle in a game that's supposed to be traditional jrpg? oof.

e: a runner with no friends and no donations, sometimes ESA is a little depressing

Minera fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 24, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I will probably try to catch the Alien 3 run on the second stream that's starting shortly. They're on intermission right now that the FF run finished.

Here's how the venue looks:

Minrad posted:

e: a runner with no friends and no donations, sometimes ESA is a little depressing

Well, now he got some donations, all he needs some friends now. And come on, he's not even the worst looking nerd in a speedrunning event, have some faith in yourself dude

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I will probably try to catch the Alien 3 run on the second stream that's starting shortly. They're on intermission right now that the FF run finished.

Here's how the venue looks:

Neat, I was about to ask if someone at the event can snap a picture of what it looks like. Is that white box next to the main screen twitch chat? I've seen runners respond to chat when it's slow enough a few times.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Donation: "Hey Herreteman, thanks for showing us this game, you're doing good so far"

Runner: "Not really"

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Link Between Worlds is my first Zelda game, it's quite fun and the puzzles generally hit the nice spot of being easy enough to solve every time without necessarily being trivial (most of the time). However from watching LttP and such, I had expected the dungeons to be a lot bigger than they have been (I haven't completed the game, only gathered all the sages). Maybe they would seem larger if there wasn't a map.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

"This run can die due to RNG" and "It's made by LJN" this got my interest right away

e: This Treasure land Adventure run is made for all of those who say GDQ has become too family friendly with friendly banter of making GBS threads on burgers and teabagging NPC's

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 24, 2017

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Minrad posted:

Is that white box next to the main screen twitch chat? I've seen runners respond to chat when it's slow enough a few times.
Yep.

So I'm up on stream 2 in like 20 minutes, woop

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

KennyMan666 posted:

Yep.

So I'm up on stream 2 in like 20 minutes, woop

KennyMan I just wanted to say that you look like the coolest and chillest dude ever and now I wish I could've gone from Germany to Sweden to hang out and have a chat. Great stuff so far!

Also no offense to anyone or anything, but that Link between Worlds runner seemed to be a bit of an asshat, confirm/deny?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Little bit. What happened at the end of that zelda stream anyway, did it get mercy killed? I saw them trying to do a skip and then suddenly it was back to presenters.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Innerguard posted:

Little bit. What happened at the end of that zelda stream anyway, did it get mercy killed? I saw them trying to do a skip and then suddenly it was back to presenters.

I'm not 100% sure on what happened to the guy who wasn't Linkus, but Linkus tried what must be the dumbest trick in speedrunning history. You have to zombiehover (aka die and then jumpslash in a reasonably precise window and then mash A over and over so you fly up like you probably saw) up to a ledge that is only reachable via hookshot normally. On top of that you have to hope for what is apparently a 5% chance of one of the two fairies flying into you while you do that, because the game will otherwise immediately game over you as soon as you touch the ground.

Linkus tried for like 30-35 minutes until they hit estimate at which point they (thankfully) just mercy killed it.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
I really want to like the Paper Mario run, but the guy running it is making me cringe so hard.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm watching the Inside run on the "main" stream before going to bed. Pretty chill and technical run.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

mangler103 posted:

I really want to like the Paper Mario run, but the guy running it is making me cringe so hard.

He's a little too goofy but the run itself is good and his commentator is doing a good job of asking questions about items he gets, glitches he does, etc to keep the run pretty focused and on topic. It's a good run!

Minera fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 24, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

oh no, he's choking

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

lol

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

How do you not keep a backup save for a trick that precise? He said all those jumps were frame perfect.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/GlamorousMoistDonutThunBeast

lol

(he finally did the trick like 20 seconds later)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lmao it's really a shame about that one choke because he's nailed so many other glitches on the very first try.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This Harry Potter game is something special. There are just so many fun glitches :allears:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
not ESA but the guys doing 100% Oblivion finally finished at just over 79 hours

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Filch's cat is going crazy!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

abraxas posted:

KennyMan I just wanted to say that you look like the coolest and chillest dude ever and now I wish I could've gone from Germany to Sweden to hang out and have a chat. Great stuff so far!
Well, thanks! Definitely try to make some ESA, speedrunning marathons are great.

quote:

Also no offense to anyone or anything, but that Link between Worlds runner seemed to be a bit of an asshat, confirm/deny?
I don't think so. He was probably a bit nervous and somewhat critical of himself, and his commentator didn't show. I will admit my taking the chair was a bit questionable, but I sat closest to him and I figured I knew enough about the game to ask relevant questions, but he explained the majority of stuff before I had any chance. Twitch chat kept saying he seemed so lonely, and then it kept asking why I was there, but they're impossible to please. But I had a little chat with Herreteman after the run and he thanked me for keeping him company and we had a laugh over the rock-paper-scissors thing*, and when the runner thought that me joining him until Jinny finally showed up an hour late was a positive thing, then that's really all that matters.

*When we play rock-paper-scissors in Sweden, we always throw on the third beat. We also don't do that thing where you pound the fist into the palm of your other hand, just shake it in the air. Apparently, in the US it's on the fourth beat. So there you go.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

You did good, Kenny

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This Wii Sports resort run is prettu funny so far

There's RNG but that comes from the Wii motion controller calibration

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

What's the deal with this Wonderful 101 game? Do you literally have 101 dudes following you around? Like Pikmin?

Looks chaotic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This Super Mario Sunshine race is pretty good. The runners have been really close the whole time and have traded leads several times.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

mangler103 posted:

What's the deal with this Wonderful 101 game? Do you literally have 101 dudes following you around? Like Pikmin?

Looks chaotic.
It's super chaotic. You have a varying amount of dudes following you, you pick up temporary members on the way. It's a Platinum game, so it's good action when you get going, but in my experience it's just completely impossible to tell what's going on most of the time. I have mixed feelings on it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been checking in on the streams off and on. Good stuff so far; pretty much everything I've seen has been entertaining to watch.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
My Summer Car is a game that I've wanted to play out of curiosity but will more than likely be infinitely better when experienced through a European-accented speed run race.

Edit: FINNISH KUNG FU FIGHTING?

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 26, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:explodes into thread red-faced:

IT'S A...IT'S..*gulp*..A BATTLE TO THE FINNISH

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Win, lose, or pass inspection, you drink excessively and flip off strangers all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

FeelsGoodMan :point_right: :red_car: WE ENJOYED MY SUMMER CAR FeelsGoodMan :point_right: :red_car: .

• Locked thread