Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can be trusted with metamorphosis into Duality.

You can, but LukeVonKarma's subscribers can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

King of Solomon posted:

You can, but LukeVonKarma's subscribers can't.

Bad news....

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Today for the fun of it I bought a stack of packs. Three Pharaoh's Servant and three combo packs (one Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon and one Spell Ruler in each pack + 1 bonus card.) I forgot just how fun it is to open packs of cards even if you haven't played in a while. Ended up pulling a holo Rainbow Dragon and a holo Crystal Beast Rainbow Dragon as my two of my three bonus cards.

Dunno why but I just wanted to share that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just had one of the dumbest duels possible. I got out King Dragun and Horus Lv 6 pretty quick, but other guy immediately got out Thousand Eyes Restrict. So I couldn't attack and he couldn't suck up my dragons because of Dragun. So both of us did nothing for 20 turns until I got out my own Restrict, I sucked his up, and then he finally drew Tribe-Infecting Virus and we could do finally do stuff again

classic

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Hmm. I've decide that goat format is good, actually.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Upcoming Selection Pack:

Transaction Rollback... Lab players happy for the next duelist cup

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Flair posted:

Upcoming Selection Pack:

Transaction Rollback... Lab players happy for the next duelist cup

Will the final R-ACE cards be in this pack? Or the unchained cards?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 4, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Based on the announcement, no

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Horus Cards doko

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flair posted:

Based on the announcement, no

jesus christ

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Snake eyes launching with poplar and r ace still missing one card makes me think they genuinely forgot about it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Latest leaks suggest Unchained in April.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New selection pack:

New campaign:

Codes: YGO25MD and YGO25DL

Tearlament Secret Pack:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, Mermail were the strong(er) half of the Mermail Atlantian pack, and now they're filler.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Ardeem posted:

Man, Mermail were the strong(er) half of the Mermail Atlantian pack, and now they're filler.

it's funny. when we got mermail in duel links, without atlanteans and without any powerful xyz support, it ended up flopping as its own deck & had its best showing as cards you might run as support for crystron. release order really changes how cards are used

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
"Hmm, that pack really has nothing for me, but I guess I have the gems to go into it for ten packs, just for the dopamine hit."

Two minutes later:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

been playing master duel after not playing yugioh since spamming out blue eyes ultimate dragons with cyber stein in eternal duelist soul two decades ago. props to zenmasterbullshit for the referral code.

i'm just kind of casually going through the solo stuff right now and whenever i max out on gems (why the gently caress is there a gem max) i buy one of the 750 gem staple packs cause i keep hearing about ash blossoms and whatnot and those all seem to include staples and also give packs for 75 cents on the dollar which seems pretty good.

i'm kind of looking at archetypes to build into and i am totally lost - it seems like snake eyes is the best deck but having read a returner guide on master duel meta mikanko seems like it combines two of my casual favs back in the day - dumb wacky ritual relinquished poo poo and dumb equip spell poo poo. trying to figure out how far my freebie gems with stretch and how much of a tryhard i want to be with basically zero game knowledge.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Southern Cassowary posted:

been playing master duel after not playing yugioh since spamming out blue eyes ultimate dragons with cyber stein in eternal duelist soul two decades ago. props to zenmasterbullshit for the referral code.

i'm just kind of casually going through the solo stuff right now and whenever i max out on gems (why the gently caress is there a gem max) i buy one of the 750 gem staple packs cause i keep hearing about ash blossoms and whatnot and those all seem to include staples and also give packs for 75 cents on the dollar which seems pretty good.

i'm kind of looking at archetypes to build into and i am totally lost - it seems like snake eyes is the best deck but having read a returner guide on master duel meta mikanko seems like it combines two of my casual favs back in the day - dumb wacky ritual relinquished poo poo and dumb equip spell poo poo. trying to figure out how far my freebie gems with stretch and how much of a tryhard i want to be with basically zero game knowledge.

Just FYI. There is a grace period to reaching max gems of 10,000 gems. After reaching 10,000 gems (or gaining gems that would put you above 10k), your excess gems go into a giftbox where they will expire after 30 days of when they entered the box. So you don't need to spend when you are about to max; you can spend when your gems will soon expire which will be a month from now.

Ultimately how you want to play is up to you. If you want to tryhard, you can with Snake Eye, and since most of it is available in one single selection pack and the other things you would need to craft are generic staples, a snake eye deck is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things (unless you get particularly unlucky with how many gems you can get from the solo gates). Conversely, if or when snake-eye gets nerfed, you may or may not get a decent SR/UR refund for how many gems you spent to get the main snake eye cards.

Mikanko is a relatively straightforward deck if you go for a cheaper or straightforward going second version, but depending on how you build it, it might be more expensive since none of its main cards are in Secret/Selection Packs which means you will have to craft them. Some of the cards you craft for an effective version of the deck may either be niche or be mostly only good for going second strategies.

Regardless of what deck you choose, in most cases, you are still going to have to study how various decks work if you want to try hard since Yu-Gi-Oh, at the tryhard levels, requires that you understand how to stop various other kinds of decks or how your deck would interact against them.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Flair posted:

Regardless of what deck you choose, in most cases, you are still going to have to study how various decks work if you want to try hard since Yu-Gi-Oh, at the tryhard levels, requires that you understand how to stop various other kinds of decks or how your deck would interact against them.

my next followup questions were going to be about this, actually. i was pretty okay at magic and hearthstone but ygo seems to be a whole other beast in terms of how much it demands from the player. what are the best sources for learning the meta? what twitch/youtube people are good and not insufferable, what are the best sources for online guides, etc.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Mikanko best variant now is snake-eye.

Joining the archtype’s respective discord channel is the way to go for getting the best advise.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

my next followup questions were going to be about this, actually. i was pretty okay at magic and hearthstone but ygo seems to be a whole other beast in terms of how much it demands from the player. what are the best sources for learning the meta? what twitch/youtube people are good and not insufferable, what are the best sources for online guides, etc.

Yugioh is a completely different game and community from hearthstone and magic, yeah. There's no "article culture", basically all content is either videos, twitch streams or discord channels, and the discords can be... interesting (pejorative).

In terms of competitive content creators, pretty much your only options that aren't just some rando are Joshua Schmidt and Jesse Kotton, or Garret Schier, and maybe Pak but all of them mainly focus on the TCG not Master Duel. Although there's still more than enough similarity to get something out of them imo, and there's a lot of twitch stream/VOD channel content about Master Duel. I guess you could also try MBT... but if you're looking for someone who isn't insufferable, probably not :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Master duel meta is a website that has MD specific lists and some of the archetypes have full article write ups by players of them
It's how I learned Abyss Actors

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah there's not a great equivalent to something like MTG Goldfish. The closest is MasterDuelMeta but even that's kinda lacking and does things like put up an article on Infernoble w. Phoenix Blade combos when its retrain isn't out and it's original is banned and gaslights everyone into thinking bamboo sword is good.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
There's no polite way of saying this, but I don't think MasterDuelMeta's writers (and Dkayed) are very good at deckbuilding. Looking at their latest introduction to Snake-eyes, the writer recommends a pure version playing betrayal - Silvera (lol) and 3 forbidden droplet because "there's slight synergy" (???). The FTK variant is only on 2 triple tac. You know, in case you only want it some of the time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They seem to be guest writers, so the quality varies. The one for mikanko at least went to the discord to collect builds, too bad it’s outdated now that snake-eye took over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snake eyes launching with poplar and r ace still missing one card makes me think they genuinely forgot about it.

they still havent released epuurely noir.

my best guess is that RACE was an insanely good deck in OCG so they want to wait until SnakeEyes gets hit a bit before dropping Emergency

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Flair posted:

there are some decent "where to handtrap" guides online, but they tend to cover TCG meta

you can *usually* intuit stuff to an extent too, like any time something summons from deck its probably a good time to ash.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

thanks all for the responses

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Yugioh is a completely different game and community from hearthstone and magic, yeah. There's no "article culture", basically all content is either videos, twitch streams or discord channels, and the discords can be... interesting (pejorative).

In terms of competitive content creators, pretty much your only options that aren't just some rando are Joshua Schmidt and Jesse Kotton, or Garret Schier, and maybe Pak but all of them mainly focus on the TCG not Master Duel. Although there's still more than enough similarity to get something out of them imo, and there's a lot of twitch stream/VOD channel content about Master Duel. I guess you could also try MBT... but if you're looking for someone who isn't insufferable, probably not :v:

yeah i gathered that the community is different pretty quickly. article culture meant i could see an article by lsv and know it's going to have useful info (and a ton of dumb puns) in it, but ygo seems like it's a lot like most modern things where the internet is a wasteland and most of the good info is on streams and hidden in discords, like you said. i'll check those streamers out - i'm mostly looking for snake-eyes vods to study.

if any of the discords are less "interesting" than the others while still having good info i'm interested in them also

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some decent "where to handtrap" guides online, but they tend to cover TCG meta

i'll look into that. it is wild to me coming from other games that the tcg, ocg, and master duel are all separate metagames

Nyaa posted:

They seem to be guest writers, so the quality varies. The one for mikanko at least went to the discord to collect builds, too bad it’s outdated now that snake-eye took over.

yeah, the writing seems, uh, bad. here's mikanko guy talking about one of the cards lol

quote:

however this fox goddess was not meant to sullie her fantastic legs by being summoned.

like, bro

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah that's sure the audience Dkayed cultivated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my favorite story about archetype discords being incredibly variable was - the Melffy discord had to be shut down due to toxicity

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CVxHEw2Do
e:
This is an OK primer but doesn't go very indepth for the pure variant combos. Also you can ignore the FK part it's probably the worse version and also not in MD.

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2024

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

what are the best sources for online guides, etc.

There are some better videos out there if you understand Japanese, but it is still mostly VODS

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite story about archetype discords being incredibly variable was - the Melffy discord had to be shut down due to toxicity

lol

Flair posted:

There are some better videos out there if you understand Japanese, but it is still mostly VODS

unfortunately i do not. took a crack at learning it last year and was too time consuming.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CVxHEw2Do
e:
This is an OK primer but doesn't go very indepth for the pure variant combos. Also you can ignore the FK part it's probably the worse version and also not in MD.

If you're looking for MD vods to study this is probably better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NqxniDG7WA

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the Yugi-goons discord is generally capable of basic knowledge of most archetypes in the game. Although a number of us have stopped playing as consistently it's still a place to ask help and get it, hopefully.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Snake-Eyes/Blaze Fenix FTK is very fun and very gross

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually played this game since before synchros were a thing. I spent the better part of a week going through single player stuff and figuring out how everything works now. Built a Dark Magician deck with no intention of doing well. I just really like Dark Magician. Anyway, tried my luck in the duel cup thing going on right now and actually won four games out of six. It was:

win vs a blue eyes deck
win vs eldlich (this one was a back and forth slugfest. was fun!)
lost vs swordsoul (learned not to let them go first cause hoo boy that boss monster that just discards things to negate effects and destroy suuuuuuucks)
lost vs some burn deck
win vs dragons
win vs mystery deck. I say mystery because they conceded while I was plopping out magicians.

Fun! Missed playing this game and now that I have things to build with I'll be looking over things and building whatever looks fun. Still laughing at losing to an honest to god burn deck. Hit me with just deserts, secret barrel, trap trick, bad luck blast, and two Mahaama the Fairy Dragon.

Edit: Wait. Forgot the other loss to the person running a floodgate deck. Forget exactly what they used but I know it involves Fossil Dyno Pachylocephalo, Dimensional Fissure, and Mirror Force. So 4/7 games. Not bad still.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 19, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah pure stun is always going to be more effective in a BO1. it tends to come and go with different metas, though it's been a bit less bad since they hit some of the floodgate continuous traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Top 100 decklists in Duelist Cup: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/tournaments/duelist-cup/march-2024/report