Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'all are all wrong.

The best archetypes are Shiranui, Shaddolls, Speedroids, Swind Switches, and Slunalights. :colbert:

EDIT: Also Sfluffals.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What if they're both?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Guys, guys, guys.

Skull Servant.

Oh no.

We'll have none of that now!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pssst...Gem-Knights are my favorite archetype but I'm scared to admit it. I am terrified that Konami is going to be stupid and hit Brilliant Fusion one day.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Y'all only came around to GKs once we got Brilliant Fusion and actually became good. :colbert: I've been here since the beginning.

I've been playing them since early Zexal, thank you. :colbert:

Julias posted:

If it ever came down to it, I'm sure they'd hit Seraphanite instead...oh who am I kidding, the people in charge of the F/L list are dumb.

That would be the smart move so OF COURSE they'd hit Brilliant instead and probably something like Garnet just to be dicks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

My issue with Cipher is that it just didn't need to exist.

All of the other returning characters from past shows that appeared in Arc-V got to keep their old archetypes and themes. Giving Kite this brand new archetype didn't need to happen and I still wonder why they chose to do that.

If they had made all of the Cipher stuff part of the Photon or Galaxy archetypes instead, they'd instantly be made better, simply because they'd be compatible with the older stuff. Not MUCH better, but they'd still be a great deal more usable than they are now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm contemplating getting into this game again(already obtained one of the YGOpro clones to get some practice), what would be a good deck type to get into that isn't too complex, too expensive, and has a strong theme to it?

Dinosaurs.

You can get most of their main deck stuff in the newest structure deck (which is pretty cheap), and they're pretty easy to play with a surprising amount of depth depending on the build. They're pretty powerful too, if you decide to get further into the game and try to go meta with it.

Plus, who doesn't want to run all over their enemies with a giant electrical T-Rex?

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I have the earlier version of that structure deck from the last time I actively played the game, it was pretty fun

The newer version is Dinosmasher's Fury and it's well worth the investment IMO.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

You can still build pure dinos for pretty cheap though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I'm probably going to have to go back to the Symphonic engine for my WIND/Synchro builds since Speedroids got poo poo on. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am going through the list of equips on YGO Pro right now and it's insane. For more fun, try Mage Power if you have a batch of swords on the field already, Megamorph if you're behind in LP, Rainbow Veil to get rid of a monster's battle destruction immunity for a turn...

There's so many stupid possibilities with this. This is the kind of stupid dumb poo poo that Noble Knights have needed for a long time. I love it. :swoon:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So, there's a Legend Duelist 2 pack coming up in the OCG.

NeoArkadia, one of the admins of The Organization, has his own set of forums, and he maintains a rumor thread there, where he posts rumors and leaks from trusted sources. I've been following it for a few years now, and I'd say 90% of what gets posted in that thread actually happens.

In recent weeks, he's posted three sets of rumors about Legend Duelist 2 and the characters that are getting support in the pack. In the order he's posted them:

quote:

Claimed Focus for Duelist Pack: Legend Duelist 2
Duel Monsters:
■ Orichalcos
GX:
■ Manjoume (Chazz Princeton)
■ Judai (Jaden) specifically a focus on Neos
■ Johan Anderson (Jesse Anderson)
5D's:
■ Aki (Akiza)
■ Kiryu (Kalin Kessler)

Reprints:
■ The Seal of Orichalcos
■ Elemental HERO Blazeman

quote:

Focus Characters for Legend Duelist 2 Include:
■ Insector Haga/Weevil Underwood
■ Pegasus
■ Johan Anderson/Jesse Andersen's Crystal Beasts
■ Manjoume Jun/Chazz Princeton's Ojamas

quote:

And now we have 3 different sources claiming the same information:

Legend Duelist 2 Consists of:
- "Bandit" Keith Howard
- "Insector" Haga
- Pegasus J. Crawford
- Manjoume Jun
- Chrono de Medici
- Johan Anderson

Toon Table of Contents & Level Up! get reprinted

So, three sets of rumors from three separate sources. At this point I'd say it's certain that LD2 will have support for Pegasus, Jesse Anderson, THE CHAZZ, and Weevil Underwood. The real fun comes in guessing what exactly is getting supported.

Weevil played generic Insects, but he's most famous for the Ultimate Moth stuff. Pegasus played Toons, but those got a lot of support in recent years already. I'm thinking it might be support stuff for Relinquished/Thousand-Eyes Restrict?

Jesse is Crystal Beasts, that's a give. Chazz is the most interesting though. One of the sources claim he's getting Ojama stuff, but another says the Level Up! is getting reprinted in the pack, which would hint at Armed Dragon support. Maybe both? Maybe Alpha's joke about Ojamarmed Dragon is coming true?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

YGOPro Percy is what most of us in Discord use. We're still waiting for the Link update though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

Hitting common combo extenders (instant fusion, brilliant fusion, scapegoat, firewall dragon) would be a start, but players would find other ways to keep their plays going forever.

As the resident Gem-Knight player, let me say

'no'.

Hit Seraphinite, not Brilliant Fusion. Gem-Knights don't use it anyway, and the deck needs Brilliant Fusion to do anything.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TCG banlist is out.

quote:

NEWLY FORBIDDEN
Dinomight Knight, the True Dracofighter
Grandsoil the Elemental Lord
True King Lithosagym, the Disaster
Denglong, First of the Yang Zing
Daigusto Emeral
Zoodiac Broadbull
Zoodiac Drident

NEWLY LIMITED
Ignis Heat, the True Dracowarrior
Miscellaneousaurus
Zoodiac Ratpier
Dark Hole
Gateway of the Six
Interrupted Kaiju Slumber
True King’s Return

NEWLY SEMI-LIMITED
Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning
Luster Pendulum, the Dracoslayer
Mathematician
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
T.G. Hyper Librarian
Brain Control
Burial From a Different Dimension
El Shaddoll Fusion
Preparation of Rites

NEWLY UNLIMITED
Debris Dragon
Honest
Rescue Cat
Rescue Rabbit
Summoner Monk
Witch of the Black Forest
Charge of the Light Brigade
Dragon Ravine
Wavering Eyes

Exciton is still banned, but other than that, this is a good drat list.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

What's the deal with Lithosagym?

Dinosaurs. They hit a ton of dinosaur stuff so they could weaken the deck without killing it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

So I'm getting a bit burned out with my admittedly terrible half-assed Dark Magician deck. I want to start a new deck but I'm not really sure what direction to go in. I pretty much only play against my brother's Predaplant deck and his Cyberse deck, or my friends Frightfurs. Whats something that isn't too meta and a refreshing change from Dark spellcasters/fiends?

Shiranui/Zombies. They're fun as heck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Tuner synchro from the extra deck"
Its a combo extension card and synchro spam enabler.

You can still grab a Ghost Ogre with its first effect though to set up destruction on the opponent's turn.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, these reveals raise the odds for a NK link to 90%, right?

Based on the leak, it's closer to 100%.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Were BA or Kozmo ever this meta dominant?

Nope.

SPYRAL are tier 0 on both sides of the ocean, and it's likely to remain that way for a while.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cyber Dragon was on the banlist at one point so I can totally see it loving the Duel Links meta.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

EMERGENCY BANLIST.

http://www.yugioh-card.com/uk/gameplay/detail.php?id=1155

Gofu, Quik-Fix, Drone, and Set Rotation are all limited. No other changes.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I'm like 99% sure they're not going to. And that's despite the worthless archetypes they've made decent so far through skills and/or selective releasing including Naturia and Ancient Gears (:wtc:). On the other hand, Destiny Warriors.

Naturia and Ancient Gear's aren't bad in the real game though. Naturia can make plays and Ancient Gears have Chaos Giant Turbo.

Crystal Beasts, as much as I love them, are just outdated and bad. They've had a lack of good legacy support and are too overly tied to their lore for Konami to do much with them.

(They also never got all of their support in the TCG and got hosed over by the changes to Pendulum rules. :argh: )

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"Links will decrease the spammy nature of the game and slow it down slightly"

HAH

To be fair, Konami never said that. It was just speculation by the fanbase.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Unlimited Dark Hole? What the gently caress kind of format is going on in real Yu-Gi-Oh right now???

The same kind we've been in for years:

1) Pendulums go to extra when destroyed.
2) Most boss monsters have some kind of immunity.
3) Most monsters period either float or have an on-destruction effect or do something in the graveyard.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long to unlimit Dark Hole.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So how are the new rules/LINK cards or whatever? I kinda dropped out of playing some time right after pendulum hit outside of a few video game entries and the Link cards/new Special Summon zone seems interesting but weird. Do pendulum summoned monsters bypass that mechanic or is that summoning method's gimmick just hosed?

The Pendulum gimmick is kind of hosed. Pendulum Magicians are still a high tier deck, but that's because they have a million cards and ways to search and are just overall a super consistent deck.

Links have been mostly lovely overall. Most of the meta decks during the Link era so far have largely ignored the mechanic.

That being said, we recently got a bunch of really awesome Links via the Link VRAINS Pack, and there are some absolutely busted Link monsters already released.

Firewall Dragon just got hit on the OCG's most recent banlist, and there's enough Links that can bounce monsters that Grinder Golem of all things has become incredibly meta.

Honestly, the game is in a really weird place right now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I meant the real game. :v:

But hey Duel Links has the best archetype (Gem-Knights) now, so I guess I can start pretending like I like it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They work surprisingly well even without BriFu or Gem-Knight Fusion.

Now please hurry and add Links so I can abuse Phantom Core, thanks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

'Relatively on track'.

They're skipping a structure deck to get this one out early. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

On one hand it's annoying that we got another Cyberse themed deck. I won't argue that.

But on the other hand that's more product that they'll have to find a way to shoehorn into the TCG later.

Some of the cards in the deck are actually pretty good for once, at that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Getting pretty sick of cyberse stuff tbh

Too bad. We're stuck with two more years of it minimum. :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Unfortunately, no idea. They're V-Jump subscriber promos, so the answer is basically 'whenever Konami decides to throw us a bone.'

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

WE'RE STILL WAITING ON THE CRYSTAL BEAST STUFF FROM EARLY ARC-V! :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

How long did it take us to get Full Armored Crystal Zero Pepsi? Expect to wait that long, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner.

Way longer than it should have.

One of the cards in that pack was meta in the OCG as an out to Nekroz, and TCG didn't have it as an option because it took so long to bring us those cards.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

With all that out of the way, I want to make my friend a solid, usable deck so he can play with my group without getting depressed. He seems obsessed with decks based around big rear end beat sticks that do massive damage. At the same time he's told me both Dinosaurs and Monarchs suck (!?).

So my question is, what's a good "strong guy" deck that's straight forward, usable, and preferably cheap to make (say around or under forty bucks)?

:psyduck:

Dinosaurs don't suck. They've been in and out of the meta for the past year and are overall really strong.They're fairly cheap too, you can pick up three copies of their structure deck for 12 dollars a piece and put together something workable out of that.

As far as a good "strong guy" deck goes (and I can't believe I'm going to say this given how much I've rallied against the deck in the past), give him a Skull Servant deck. It's simple and straightforward as heck, and most of it's cards should be pretty cheap. The whole strategy for the deck is 'send a bunch of dudes to the grave and then summon an 8k+ beatstick', so that kind of thing should be right up his alley.

EDIT: Seriously though, dinosaurs have one of the biggest, baddest, easiest to summon beatsick boss monsters in the game.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Conductor_Tyranno

This guy is exactly what your friend wants. Why does he think Dinosaurs suck?

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I will say, as an adult who started playing several months ago and has never seen an episode of the show, it's interesting how many people I've had tell me they learned from the show... And that the show is terrible at teaching the game.

It's gotten better about that. I'd say that watching the first chunk of episodes of Arc-V is a really good entry to the different summoning types.

And please, go tell your friend that Dinosaurs have been on-and-off meta for a year now and he's crazy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Please, please build Dinosaurs and run over all of his fields with Ultimate Conductor Tyranno.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I haven't played any of the Tag Force game, but I'm assuming that in typical Yugioh game fashion, the starter deck is absolute dreck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gonna give a special shout-out to Legacy of the Duelist for giving you a halfway decent starter deck AND enough extra cards starting out that you can build something significantly better with several different deck styles to choose from, AND not putting you up against crazy powerful duelists right from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

You feeling nostalgic? Here, the new Yu-Gi-Oh! series is literally the first series again, but reanimated! Also we're errataing all the old cards so we don't have to think of new ones! Also no Extra Deck anymore.

I mean, I wouldn't mind that first part, kind of.

A remake of the Duel Monsters anime that's closer to the manga and cuts out all the ridiculous amounts of filler from the later half of the series would be nice.