Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Today for the fun of it I bought a stack of packs. Three Pharaoh's Servant and three combo packs (one Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon and one Spell Ruler in each pack + 1 bonus card.) I forgot just how fun it is to open packs of cards even if you haven't played in a while. Ended up pulling a holo Rainbow Dragon and a holo Crystal Beast Rainbow Dragon as my two of my three bonus cards.

Dunno why but I just wanted to share that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I haven't actually played this game since before synchros were a thing. I spent the better part of a week going through single player stuff and figuring out how everything works now. Built a Dark Magician deck with no intention of doing well. I just really like Dark Magician. Anyway, tried my luck in the duel cup thing going on right now and actually won four games out of six. It was:

win vs a blue eyes deck
win vs eldlich (this one was a back and forth slugfest. was fun!)
lost vs swordsoul (learned not to let them go first cause hoo boy that boss monster that just discards things to negate effects and destroy suuuuuuucks)
lost vs some burn deck
win vs dragons
win vs mystery deck. I say mystery because they conceded while I was plopping out magicians.

Fun! Missed playing this game and now that I have things to build with I'll be looking over things and building whatever looks fun. Still laughing at losing to an honest to god burn deck. Hit me with just deserts, secret barrel, trap trick, bad luck blast, and two Mahaama the Fairy Dragon.

Edit: Wait. Forgot the other loss to the person running a floodgate deck. Forget exactly what they used but I know it involves Fossil Dyno Pachylocephalo, Dimensional Fissure, and Mirror Force. So 4/7 games. Not bad still.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 19, 2024

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Went up against a code talker deck today and got locked out before I could even play. Pretty sure my only out for that would've been an Ash or Nibiru or Effect Veiler. poo poo happens so I don't feel bad about that.

Immediately after I was able to take down a SwordSoul deck that played right into my Dark Magicians deck bullshit. That felt pretty good.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Somebody tell me about Infinitracks and Machina. I can see synergy between them my brain is too Dark Magician poisoned to form a cohesive deck without that in it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
How did I not know about this archetype? loving love food based themes in games. Can't wait to get home and be sad I can't craft anything cause I'm too broke on crafting materials.

Edit: Talking about the Nouvelle stuff from earlier.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2024

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've got a list that's gotten me up to master before I'll get a screenshot for you

EDIT:

Hell yeah thanks! Gonna put this on my list of things to make. Currently theory crafting an Albaz/Dark Magician deck and saving up to build an earth machine deck.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

The name isn't a joke btw. It's a dogshit card you kind of have to run because you don't have any other searchers for your starters that could take that slot.

I think worrying about generic extra deck monsters in a tier 0 format where the top decks aren't using them is incredibly dumb.

I mean it's dumb in general but doing it now is silly poo poo.

Hey not to be a pain but I can't recognize cards by picture. I only recently started playing again since before syncro's were a thing so I'm still learning what all the cards are. Any chance you could drop a list for that deck?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks for that. Gonna put all that into masterduel tomorrow for a placeholder deck and slowly piece it together.

In other news pretty sure Gold 1 is my hard ceiling for this garbage Dark Magician deck I put together. I played like 20 games tonight and won just enough to get there. Gold 2 was loving full of Kashtira. I'd be frustrated but honestly gold feels like the correct spot for this deck. Until I have the gems to craft Ash, Maxx C, Droll, and all the other staple hand traps it's probably where I'll land every season.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Hey so how do I deal with Mikanko? I've read to just pass the turn but that seems incredibly risky going first. Just non-targeted removal? If so what?

Edit: Maybe I'll save and craft lightning storm and join everyone else. Swear I've seen a sudden surge in that card recently.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 15, 2024

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Playing a real teched out RDA bystial deck is fun in the event because everyone's expecting the bad structure deck that dies to a negate and you just bowl over them.

I've been beaten by this deck so many times this event. Let me tell you the one time I stole a win with my Dark Magician deck was the greatest feeling this game has given me yet.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

DM loses to a single S/T removal usually and RDA have multiple ways to negate and pop that are searched mid combo. It's a bad bad bad match up for DM.

Oh yes I know all too well how fragile my favorite deck is.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Pretty happy I was able to get a guy angry enough with my Magikuriboh in this event that he targeted it to banish for his Bystial special summon.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Edit: nevermind. Went over the replay and saw that the resonator used for synchro added to hand. Not the red rising dragon.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 21, 2024

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Grinded out he last ten levels of the duel pass. Ended with over 4000 gems and some much needed crafting materials. Got everything in the event as well except for the special titles for using synchro/xyz. Learned a lot of new tricks and added in some much needed cards into my deck. But I can safely say I will not be participating in this event anymore. Mostly saw synchro decks with a split of like 70% RDA, 20% SwordSoul, 5% Ursarctic, and the last 5% being a mix of other things. With xyz I saw Kashtira once. Otherwise it was Exosister and Purrely.

I'd like to say I learned a little on when and how to use effect Veiler and ash but honestly I just looked for "add to hand" and prayed I timed it right.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I got my three wins with Dark Magician. It's the only deck I have.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Getting my three wins in this event was like pulling teeth. And it wasn't even worth it.

But on the upside I finally pulled and dusted enough things to make that Nouvelles deck. Did a few practice runs against the ai and I didn't understand it at first. But it has slowly started to click and man when it works it is fun as hell.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I'll type it out give me just one second to edit it into this post

I can do a little write up on the whys and wherefores on the ratios and the non-nouevelle and possible changes I'd recommend if you'd like

Hey so I would love a write up guide on how to pilot this and any tips against specific decks. I thought I was doing decent against an Eldlich deck until he locked me out with summon limit. Then a Snake Eyes player just overwhelmed me with sheer board presence. I dunno if I'm supposed to be reactive or aggressive or what with this deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I got at least one of every memento card except Angwitch and a good amount of the Horus cards. No Little Knight after 40 packs though.