Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I'm contemplating getting into this game again(already obtained one of the YGOpro clones to get some practice), what would be a good deck type to get into that isn't too complex, too expensive, and has a strong theme to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

ABC is a common beginner recommendation as far as not being too complex goes, and they shouldn't be too expensive since all their key cards come from a Structure Deck. I guess the strength of their theming depends on exactly what you mean by that, but hey they're combining dragon robots, that's pretty neat as far as appealing to one's inner kid goes.

Which structure deck is that one?

Julias posted:

I'd say Skull Servants, with a lot of generic zombie support, and it still operates fairly well under the new link rules.

I downloaded a deck build for that archetype on the YGOpro variant I'm playing around with, I'll have to give it a try

Dexie posted:

Dinosaurs.

You can get most of their main deck stuff in the newest structure deck (which is pretty cheap), and they're pretty easy to play with a surprising amount of depth depending on the build. They're pretty powerful too, if you decide to get further into the game and try to go meta with it.

Plus, who doesn't want to run all over their enemies with a giant electrical T-Rex?

Yeah I have the earlier version of that structure deck from the last time I actively played the game, it was pretty fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gave a Skull Servants deck a try in the version of YGOpro I've been using(the Dawn of A New Era branch to be specific), and it's pretty fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Went and bought the Yugioh game they have for PS4, been fun to muck around with older playstyles in the campaign mode, also I love that they turned that Attack The Moon bit into a real card:3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So since the Simulator of my choice(The Dawn of A New Era) is down for the foreseeable future(site got hijacked by malware), anyone got any suggestions for one for me to use, only stipulation is that it has to be an automated one, manual simulators like Dueling Book just aren't any fun to use

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well looks like Cardians are another type of deck to add to the list of decks used by people who only like to play with themselves and/or think playing such a deck makes themselves look cool/smart(when in fact it just makes them look like a douche)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Was going to use YGO pro 2, but the updater it uses wants me to update my .net framework and the way it wants me to do that makes me not want to trust it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Figured out a solution

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hjalmar posted:

Given that the format currently really supports endless extended plays into triple firewall dragon unbreakable boards, I can't find myself all that bothered or threatened by Cardians. Either get used to seeing solitaire turns, play anti-meta decks to slow the opponent way down or switch to playing Duel Links.

Really wonder what would be the best way to permanently end that sort of thing as part of the game, cause it's just not fun to play against

The four decks I currently use for online playing(Skull Servants, Dinomists, Ancient Gears, and Blue-Eyes) while certainly capable of some heavy duty combos, rarely descend into the asinine shenanigans I have been seeing since I started playing again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hjalmar posted:

Hitting common combo extenders (instant fusion, brilliant fusion, scapegoat, firewall dragon) would be a start, but players would find other ways to keep their plays going forever. Maxx C used to be a good way to threaten a player against making huge plays, but it's too powerful and swung games almost all the time. There needs to be a more balanced version that limits your opponent's plays but doesn't stop them outright or put you in an automatic win state - maybe something that burns them for 500-1000lp per special summon for the rest of the turn? I don't know, maybe that would be too strong for burn decks since Trickstars are a thing. Again, Duel Links loving rules and is much more balanced and slow if you want to get away from solitaire meta.

Oh, and speaking of, I wouldn't be shocked if the new Weevil support comes in the flavor of one of his more popular skills in DL. A card that shoves three Paracite Paraside in the opponent's deck would actually be kinda neat, or a retrain of that card and Insect Queen.

Honestly I can't be bothered with the official games anymore, can't stand the grinding needed to make an even halfway decent deck, especially since more recent games don't even have that option they used to have where you could input the codes on cards to get a copy of them in game

Also I gave Duel Links a try and it's just plain weird even by Yugioh video game standards

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I bought that Legendary Dragons box the other day, anything important I should keep in mind when playing any of them(just for casual play of course)?

Also I find it kinda funny that besides having every non Link type of special summon in it, that the Odd Eyes deck is the only one of the three decks in that box to have any actual dragons in the main deck and not the extra deck(not to mention that Cyber Dragons are dragons in name only)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I really don't get why certain basic archetypes are so spread thin in Duel Links, even accounting for the smaller card pool and them only being around for about a year

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There was that Blue-Eyes structure deck from a while ago, maybe buy 2-3 of those and build a semi decent deck for him out of that

Another option could be to get him a copy of the Legendary Dragons box, he'd probably like the Atlantis Dragons deck

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Similarly Dino-Mists would probably be a good cheap way to introduce him to Pendulum Summoning

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

I haven't played any of the Tag Force game, but I'm assuming that in typical Yugioh game fashion, the starter deck is absolute dreck.

That is probably Duel Links biggest flaw, how awful the default decks are for any character when you unlock them, many of them are so mediocre that they don't have any spells or traps and/or only have like 1 monster over 1400 in either stat

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dexie posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind that first part, kind of.

A remake of the Duel Monsters anime that's closer to the manga and cuts out all the ridiculous amounts of filler from the later half of the series would be nice.

Reminds me of am idea I had for a new Yugioh video game, it'd be a full adaptation of the original series(including R and the Anime only portions alongside all of the main manga), although that did leave me thinking how best to handle the early parts prior to Duel Monsters becoming the focus, in the end I figured the best way was to just have whatever game or challenge was in the original chapter be replaced with a standard duel, more than enough archetypes in the game these days to fill up the ranks and still have most characters using a unique deck type

Although in a bit of a twist I'd probably change up most characters decks to better reflect the actual game from the beginning rather than how most games in the franchise just have characters use decks that are absolutely abysmal by real world standards, which works better in an anime or manga than it does in anything actually interactive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'd love for them to do an anime season that is like 90% faithful to the real game and it's rules, with the only fantastical elements present at all are the holography tech, and Duel Monsters being treated as something mainstream in popularity on the level of a major sport

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Oh, I agree. I like to keep DL decks to 20 cards so it's a bit of a challenge, but grinding out some packs for cards like draining shield and wall of disruption have helped. Even cards like Xing Zhen Hu Replica have helped lock the board down.

I'm less used to building a technical deck and more towards damage racing, so it's been a challenge learning to keep up with PvP.

Generally you want to keep you decks to 20 cards anyways, for much the same reason you stick as close to the 40 card minimum in the actual game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Roluth posted:

So, I'm considering playing this online. What ia a good, strong starter deck that is easy to play to learn the ropes? What are the core deck archetypes?

Not exactly Meta, but Dinomists are a fun and relatively simple deck to try, especially for learning how to Pendulum Summon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

What game is that screencap from?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Haven't played in like over 10 years but I caught the bug again real bad. Started up Duel Links and I ordered the Yugi, Kaiba, and Lair of Darkness structure decks in physical form. Is there an easy way to get up to speed again with all the new fusions and stuff? Does anyone here play Duel Links?

If you have a Target near you take a look at where they keep the cards, sometimes they'll have older structure decks available for cheap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So it appears Konami is bringing the Speed Duel format from Duel Links into the physical game, found two starter sets for it at Target today, each had 3 different ~20 card decks in it(which at the normal 10 bucks range that most Starter & Structure Decks cost is not a bad deal), will be interesting to see how well it does and how much support Konami ends up giving it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

The only legal cards for speed dueling have the speed dueling symbol on them, and since there's no Pendulums with the symbol, they're not legal yet.

Technically the little guide that came with the decks only says that you should only use specific speed duel cards, it doesn't treat it as an absolute requirement, but maybe they say otherwise elsewhere

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

I mean, you could use non-speed duel cards for speed duels, but official events are only going to allow cards with the mark on them.

Well yeah I figured that would be the case, I assume this means we will be getting more product for this format then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

The first booster set, Arena of Lost Souls, is coming out at the end of March, so Konami is most likely going to be supporting the format for at least a little while.

Sphere Kuriboh is confirmed in the set so there's a bit of power creep already, lol. Maybe it'll help keep Blue-Eyes in check though.

Do we know of any additional decks for it yet as well?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

Nope. The only current upcoming product is Arena of Lost Souls.

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Arena_of_Lost_Souls

Kinda funny that Bonz is apparently the next character to be getting Skill Card support

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Julias posted:

Should also be pointed out that in most of Konami's Yugioh games, whatever algorithms they use to determine what the next card is/deck order in most of these games isn't truly random, and you'll see oddities such as the same card in a row more often than you should if that were the case.

There's a reason for that, developers of games often find out that players don't actually like true randomness, as it can have certain odd results that can effect their fun in negative ways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Shame that it basically makes those skills more or less useless now, especially Masked Tribute

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

"Summon as many monsters as you want and go +5 at the end of every turn" is going to make for an interesting meta.

Predictions time, which decks are going to see the biggest resurgence once they're not limited by Links any more? My guess is Synchros, just, as a whole.

Pendulum Summoning also is definitely improved by this change(if still slightly gimped due to the other changes still being up)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wow that's dumb

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I imagine Speed Duels will continue, due to being compatible with the regular game and also because of the nostalgia factor going for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

This is the death of Speed Duels. Japan doesn’t have Speed Duels so I can’t see TCG bothering to keep them around once Rush Duels start.

I imagine the difference is that while Japan has some nostalgia for the original series it's nowhere near as strong as it is here in the US, and again while Speed Duels officially only allow their own cards to be used in them, said cards are fully usable with the regular game, so they wouldn't necessarily be cannibalizing the potential sales for Rush Duels which use their own completely separate type of cards from what I've read*

*which honestly I could see causing problems for it being accepted as a format, at least among the more hardcore fans

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I'm trying to find a modern reasonably good deck type to use, the thing is not counting Duel Links or other simulators I haven't really played at all since like 2015(and probably haven't played a remotely serious real world match since approximately 2007), so I need something that is really braindead simple to play, I tried out a Salamangreat deck my brother has that he was willing to loan me, but even that is too complex for me to really find particularly pleasant to play

So yeah I need something that is really brainless to play in terms of complexity, bonus points if it's also cheap to acquire the needed cards, a couple deck styles I've played that I like include Ancient Gears and Dinomists to give an example of the equivalent degree of complexity I'm looking for

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Rank10 earth machines. The right combination of trains and infinitracks will make you a consistent otk deck with a 6k beater boss that can swing as many times as materials he has. No difficult combos, just big beefy machine xyzs and also those cool spiders.

Yeah those look good, though I guess I forgot another requirement, whatever deck I make needs to be something I can assemble for really cheap too(like 50 bucks max, and I'd rather spend under 30 if possible)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ended up buying two more copies of Zombie Horde, and already got a deck potentially lined up to make from it, I do have at least three issues with it though that I might need to change; it calls for 3 copies each of Shiranui Solitaire, Anti-Spell Fragrance, and Shared Ride, and honestly all three feel kinda iffy being included at all, let alone at 3 copies, feels like there's better cards in the original Structure deck to include instead

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Speaking of, did drrockso ever find the cheap rogue deck they were looking for?

Currently it's just going to be me mashing together three copies of Zombie Horde, and maybe gradually add more cards to it to improve it over time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Goon posted:

Despite never having watched the show or played the game, I've started watching Yugitubers (great name, btw) during lockdown to pass the time. I've got a neighbor who used to play back in the day and has expressed interest in playing again; if'n I wanted to grab some cards for an evening of Yu-Gi-Oh -ing with the expectation that they wouldn't get touched again, what would be the right thing to buy?

Probably just a couple Structure Decks at your local Target or Wal-Mart

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Len posted:

I picked up the Switch Legacy of the Duelist on a whim, I've never played yugioh so I'm learning as I go and have just been using story decks. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the AI dropping a 2k+ monster on turn 1?

Also the Discord link in the op is dead

The AI is a cheap bastard in that game(though as far as I can tell it doesn't actually cheat and it is still pretty dumb), so a lot of the time it comes down to two things; A) figuring out the gimmicks of both your deck and theirs, and B) hope the RNG gives you good cards and your opponent bad ones

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Don't remember any updates, as far as I can tell there basically hasn't been any since the PS4 launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the game needs a hard reboot if there's going to be any real chance of fixing it, either that or do what Magic does and only allow certain sets to be legal in the main format, though this would effectively be the same thing at least at first