Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
I'd been having the itch to play some Yu-Gi-Oh so I installed Master Duel. Currently going through the solo stuff to get my bearings and to get more gems, cards, and whatever else the game will offer. It's been pretty fun so far but also extremely overwhelming (for reference, when I stopped playing last time Synchros where still relatively new lol) so I've come to this thread hoping for a little bit of guidance.

First off, it's not like I've come back totally blind. What brought me back to the game was stumbling on some clips on Youtube and seeing how fast the game has gotten and how much you can do in one turn in the first place. Also how much positioning seems to be a factor the days thanks to link monsters and other things, like imperm. All of that's fine with me. Xys and Links summons I've understood just fine and I think I also got a handle on some of the staples I should be crafting (Maxx C and Ash Blossom seem like no brainers, for example).

The big problem is… everything else lol. I've taken a look around the shop and looked at the structure decks and some of the packs. Problem is, since I hadn't played in so long, getting a feel for the power level of just about any card feels downright impossible. So my first question is, where should I be spending my gems to start with?

My first instinct is to buy some structure decks. Should I buy 3 of the same one or spread it around? Or should I just ignore those and go straight for packs (since it seems like those go on rotation and structure decks do not, if I'm understanding how it works correctly).

Also regarding packs, I know I should be buying them in sets of 10 if possible (to guarantee an SR). I've also seen some that offer free pulls, should I save those free pulls to round up those 10 packs or are they a totally separate thing? And if so I'm guessing I should freely pop those?

Also, is dumping 700 gems on the battle pass worth it for the extra resources or should I wait until and see if the game hooks me in first?

Those are my general questions, going into specifics: Any decent decks that are cheap to build that you'd recommend for a new player? Also any specific structure decks or packs I should be investing in while they're still around? Any staples I should be going for to start with?

Tl,dr:

I'm, basically, a new player. Help me spend my (fake) money.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but any and all advice, no matter how small, is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Thanks for the tips, everyone.

In the end I opted for the Salamangreat deck because I wanted to play around with Link monsters. Took a peak at some deck lists to see what that deck might ultimately look like, but I still haven't crafted anything specific to it and have mostly stuck to generic staples. Got my ABs & Cs crossed out since they're so baseline (one Ash did come from the bundle) but I'm looking at crafting a boss monster next to round out the deck a bit. Is Accescode Talker as safe a bet as it seems? Saw it on a few lists and it looks like one of those generically good cards that I might be able to slot into other decks as I build them out.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

yeah, the basic plan is to pick your first, hopefully cheap deck, try to build it as best you can, and then supplement it with as many of the bundles as you can still afford.

Also, it's gonna kinda suck, but just do all the single player modes; the real value is in the early tutorial ones, but pretty much every single one past that gives 200 gems and legacy packs, and they add up when you're chasing a mo ye or a drident.

Currently doing all of this. I'm using solo mode to get a feel for the cards and combos before going online, so it's not so bad. Probably gonna start getting whooped on ranked later today to start working on quests and such, but first I have to stop reading all my cards everytime anything happens lol

Iserlohn posted:

As far as staples to shoot for, the Bundles are all good to get. Handtraps like Maxx C, Ash, Imperm etc are inevitable but I would get a core for a deck before you worry about crafting those.

Cheap staples I would say are Book of Moon, Enemy Controller, Forbidden Chalice which are all Rare boardbreakers.

Thanks for this, cheap staples are exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for while I fill out the deck so these helped a lot.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dust Kaiju is also a cheap replacement for the more expensive Kaijus and the only downside is you give your opponent a somewhat bigger beatstick.

Also crafted one of these since it's only Rare. Guessing the idea with Kaijus is to use it to have one in the pocket to tribute out monsters with annoying effects?

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Thanks again. Crafted that Accesscode and I'm having a blast now that the deck's slowly coming together.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be more accurate, the reason they can be tributed is that the removal is a *cost* and not an effect.

If a card had an effect of "tribute a monster", then you couldn't use it on a monster which was unaffected by card effects - the bit that matters is that "unaffected by card effects" doesn't care about cost.

Love this rulings bullshit. Now that I've tried it I see how they work and they're even better than I thought. So Kaijus are basically a get-out-of-jail free card for problematic monsters. Hell, if it comes down to it, they're good for just reducing a good beatstick into a less beatier stick. Have since upgraded the Mothra into the 2200 attack SR turtle (is this supposed to be Gamera?) without a second thought once I got this through my thick skull, since those 500 attack points do make a big difference with the quality of cards I'm handling right now (say, Heatleo the Salamagreat Link Monster is 2300 attack so it beats that Kaiju instead of losing to it and that's a pretty big difference in value for my mid-boss monster).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Also, I'm sure this isn't as lol worthy to you as it was for me but I'll still throw it out there, decided to switch the language to my native one (Spanish) just to see how they translated some monster names like Accesscode Talker and it looks like it's hilariously machine translated. They got the more obvious ones right, Dark Magician is "Mago Oscuro" and Blue Eyes is "Dragón Blanco de Ojos Azules." But other, less important things like Slifer got done dirty (Slifer is now "el dragón del cielo" instead of "el dragón celestial," they mean the exact same poo poo but the new one's strictly more literal and clunkier and also not canon to the LatAm dub, which looking at some cards they respect for some and ignore for others).

It did cross my mind that this might have been lifted straight from the spanish (Spain) dub but it's still lol worthy to me that they'd take their cues from there since their dubs are literal to a point where it's extremeley funny. Say, they call Master Roshi from Dragon Ball "Duende Tortuga" (Turtle Elf) since it's technically a very direct and valid translation of his title, Kame Sennin (basically Turtle Hermit, which is literally his title in the the LatAm dub). They also call the Kamehameha "Onda Vital" (lit. Life Wave) while in the LatAm dub we just left that poo poo untransalted (probably because it's impossible to match those syllables with a translation since "Turtle Destruction Wave" doesn't roll off the tongue in any language that I know of.

Anyway, thought I'd throw all that trivia your way since I'm really thankful for all your advice and that's the best I can offer backr ight now since I don't know current Yu-Gi-Oh well at all.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Took a break for christmas but I'm back on the grind. Expected to lose literally every duel in ranked but it turns out Accesscode is good enough to eke out some wins on its own lol (at least in bronze)

Skios posted:

Another deck worth looking into with an eye on the future is Rescue-ACE. especially since you've already bought into the Salamangreat structure. It only has 4-5 in-archetype URs right now (6-7 if you also count One for One and Promethean Princess). It's still missing two cards, but in the future it will definitely get more support and access to new engines.

Thanks, will look into these. I actually ran into one of these today that was running a combo with P Princess and some battleship link monster I can't remember the name of. Sounds like a nice short term goal if I'm gonna keep upgrading the Salamangreat deck (probably should craft the princess first if I'm gonna keep playing fire monsters in the short term either way)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh btw for the guy looking for "budget" master duel options before you get all the staples

this is N rarity in MD and is really, really good. it's just that it tends to be like, the third or fourth best spell-trap pop option available and rarely gets run, but it can absolutely work as a budget deck staple that still fulfills a niche that cards like Lightning Storm or even Cosmic Cyclone can't entirely match, since it's both a hand-trap and a trap card (which can be relevant against cards which specifically negate spells sometimes)

Thanks, also. Crafted a couple of these since they're normal and slotted them into where the rest of my Imperms would be (I only have one from the bundle). Wading into the discussion of if MST is better? Probably yes, absolutely (I also made a couple of MSTs since the only type of dust where it feels I gotta be stingy is UR), but at least where I'm at it also serves a really niche purpose as Imperm bait with a plus-side if I get to actually hit something with it.

See, it turns out that even bronze players are running way wilder poo poo than I was ever expecting (literally my first ranked duel was a Labyrinth-Dogmatika deck and that really opened my eyes to what modern Yu-Gi-Oh is actually expecting from me lol if that wasn't even ranked I can't imagine what'll be waiting for me if I ever climb to Silver). Now, that probably was an outlier because I haven't had a game so one sided since, but I still run into people running pretty much all the staples (and I mean multiples of them, I've also dueled people who it's pretty obvious they only have the hand outs from the bundles and the two or three they've bothered to craft, same as me). So, if they see you dropping an Ash or Maxx first, they'll assume that the set Typhoon is something way worse (like Imperm) and they will use those field spells pretty confidently.Or they'll try to get rid of typhoon with way more valuable cards (like Harpie's).

The one turn of bluffing in Bronze is actually pretty fun (it's one turn or so since so much happens in each player's first turn that it's really hard hiding that you have half a poo poo deck after that) and if Typhoon comes up it definitely has a role in that game. If you've got better cards you probably shouldn't be in bronze to begin with and so nature will take its course as people climb or not.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Anti-Tachyon posted:

There's no actual official Latin American translation of anything yugioh related despite it theoretically being part of the TCG. As far as I'm aware everything in Spanish or Portuguese is translated from English (not Japanese!) by Konami EU for home markets and then back-ported by Konami NA for Mexico and South America.

Thought something like that was the case, thanks for confirming. I'm honestly surprised Konami EU takes prescedence to Konami NA though, I thought It'd be the other way around since the usual workflow for these things is that we translate NA english into latam spanish. Hell, sometimes we do this even when there's already an actual spaniard spanish translation lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Game still owns but I've started to see the limits of the Salamangreat deck and I'm thinking of branching out a bit. Safest bet for a quick upgrade would probably be rescue-ace, right? Seeing how It wants some of the same cards I'm also working towards with the 'greats.

That said, based on my pack pulls the game seems to really want me to play Blue Eyes. Now, I do love that fat gently caress but I'm guessing it's still a pretty gimmicky deck (since it's based on an 8 star normal Monster). I've looked at the secret pack and support is way better than I expected (when I last left the game its biggest new card was Blue Eyes Shining and It was poo poo then and guessing it's still poo poo now based on seeing all of the cards that've been released since).

So I'm thinking it's still an upgrade from what I'm playing even if It won't stack up to the real top decks, right? Probably won't craft anything for it since It still seems like a real dust hungry deck for something that I'm assumimg is pretty mid, but thought I'd ask first.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
The other two archtypes the game has blessed on me in packs are purrley (which I'm guessing is not a good investment thanks to Feels Villeneuve's reaction to the recent banlist lol) and Exosisters, but I haven't seen those mentioned a lot in this thread (other than they where good against Tearlament I think? I did peek at some of the older pages of the thread to get some ideas but dunno how these girls stack up to the current meta).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Sorry to triple post but I forgot something important, I probably won't be playing Master Duel or looking at the thread for the next two or there days soo...

Happy new years! (In advance)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Blue Eyes is very much a "lol, meme" deck. Also it's best card (Blue Eyes Jet Dragon) can't even be pulled from the secret pack since they have yet to update it. You could make it work effectively if you splash a small engine of it with Bystials and Chaos cards, though with Chaos Ruler and Wyverburster about to be banned that deck variant is about to take a bad hit.

Honestly I would just wait to see if MD's 2nd anniversary just gives us a Blue Eyes structure to go along with the Dark Magician structure.

Is Blue Eyes Jet the best? Honestly asking since its finisher seemed to be Blue Eyes Max (which if I'm recalling correctly Is a Ritual Monster that's loving me up a bit since when I left the game ritual monsters where a joke lol)

they want shady
May 11, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Chaos MAX Dragon is something you only really play in OTK decks dedicated to getting it out (thanks to a large Impcantation engine). It's typically far too bricky to be played in any other variant of blue eyes.

Oh, that makes sense. Still gotta ask though, is it any worse than my current budget deck that has exactly one win condition AND if It gets hosed I'm hosed anyway?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

That should be your cue to invest into something like Mathmech or Codetalker then if you want to make use of your existing cards and power up your endboards. Blue Eyes is something you build when you already have a good assortment of competitive decks and just want to throw CP into something stupid cause you're bored.

Yeah, didn't need any cue for that since the only secret pack I've invested in Is the Talkers pack lol

they want shady
May 11, 2013
And I've gotten what the Game wants from me, for what it's worth. Say, I have 2 heatcode talkers that've slotted into my deck just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm a returning player and I think I'm still in the tutorial. I have 5,110 gems and I'm not sure what I should be spending them on. I heard something about bad packs or decks or something?

I just used your code, thanks!

Dunno how long it's been since you haven't played but I asked the same thing in December and thread concensus was that Salamangreat, Black Wings, and Zombies were the best structure decks to start with. I also got Swordsoul reccomended as an archetype but I don't know a lot about it, now that It has a Structure deck It may be the best.

If for whatever reason it doesn't work out for you I can vouch for the Salamangreats. It's a solid starter deck and it's relatively cheap to build it up to something decent.