Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pendulums did nothing wrong, and Links won't either. :colbert:

The new Vendread Zombie Rituals revealed look neat. Konami's an expert at squandering potential though. Hopefully they're good, Zombies are always fun.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Honestly I don't expect Brilliant to ever warrant a hit, if only because it's so bricky. The things that best abuse multiple summons have other methods, for example Trickstars run Chain Summoning. If ever, it'll be for dumping a hypothetical powercreeped Trick Clown.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 24, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don’t play this game in real life, but recently I’ve started buying packs here and there if I can find them cheap, just for fun. Almost every single pack I’ve opened has had a card from the Cipher archetype in it, so I thought I’d try to build a Cipher deck on YGOPro. There’s just one teeny tiny problem with that:

The Cipher archetype is absolute garbage.

This is probably more attention that the archetype deserves, but I’m sick enough of it to break down just how bad it is.

They have 12 cards, one of which is Cipher Soldier, a random old card that coincidentally shares the name. Discounting that, they have 4 Main Deck monsters, 3 Extra Deck monsters, 1 Spell, and 3 Traps.

One of those monsters is Cipher Mirror Knight, which is unplayable garbage. Using its first effect sacrifices two cards just to retrieve one, and only from destruction by battle, and its search effect requires you dump it and wait until the End Phase, which is absurdly slow.

Cipher Twin Raptor is a little better, but still worse than it has any need to be. Its summoning condition is worse than Cyber Dragon’s in an age where that’s long been powercreeped. Its other effect to summon a monster from the Deck is at least nice, I’ll grant it that.

Now Cipher Wing is actually pretty decent. It’s got a useful summoning condition, real great for making Rank 4s… Of which the archetype has none. Instead, you need to use its second effect to make Rank 8s, which means you need 3 monsters, at least one of them being this card, to make anything in-archetype. Unless you want to build Starliege Paladynamo turbo…

Cipher Etranger is a better searcher than Mirror Knight, but either needs to be discarded with something like Twin Twisters, or attached to an Xyz monster - which means you’ve already made plays and it’s too late for searching - and then detached on a later turn.

And that’s it, that’s their whole monster line-up. Their one spell is their Rank-Up-Magic, and while I appreciate the principle of it being actually searchable, you’re better off hoping to draw into a different one. It’s got one valid target in the entire game, with only two cards you can rank it up into, one of which can innately rank up like Utopia and so doesn’t need it anyway! Your reward for putting up with this absurd restriction? A minor attack boost based off controlling other monsters. Y’know, in-case you drew all 3 Cipher Wings and something else.

As for the traps, Cipher Spectrum requires you to run multiples of your Xyz monsters just to summon one without any materials when another’s destroyed, Double Cipher… requires you to run multiples of your Xyz monsters just to summon one without any materials by also depleting another of all it’s materials, and Cipher Bit, well, I guess it can replenish a material for one of those summoned copies if you insist on running the other traps? But apart from that it’s just one destruction protection (which also makes Mirror Knight and Spectrum even more useless).

Their Xyz monsters are decent, but using other archetypes to make a generic Rank 8 does not a Cipher deck make. For completeness’ sake, Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon can steal your opponent’s monsters and make them beaters (which can occasionally be ranked up into other Galaxy-Eyes monsters to keep them for good), and its rank-up can do it en masse, while Cipher Blade Dragon doesn’t need RUM and can pop cards.

Notably absent from this line-up is an unprinted card from the anime that doubled the attack of cards you controlled multiples of, which would have made the traps actually useful at all and the Xyz really good (as well as giving the name-changing an actual point). Unfortunately printing Mirror Knight was apparently more important.

In retrospect I’m not sure why I thought this post was a good idea, but I’ve typed it all out so I may as well post in. In conclusion, gently caress Cipher.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Naturia being in the game at all was baffling enough to me before I started playing, considering Duel Links doesnt have Synchro. Being meta is downright hilarious.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ABC is a common beginner recommendation as far as not being too complex goes, and they shouldn't be too expensive since all their key cards come from a Structure Deck. I guess the strength of their theming depends on exactly what you mean by that, but hey they're combining dragon robots, that's pretty neat as far as appealing to one's inner kid goes.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

drrockso20 posted:

Which structure deck is that one?

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Structure_Deck:_Seto_Kaiba

The relevant cards being A-Assault Core, B-Buster Drake, C-Crush Wyvern, Union Hangar and ABC-Dragon Buster.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So uh hey the Symphonic Warrior engine is really good.

For those who don't know what it is is, Symphonic Warrior Guitaar is a Pendulum with the effect to discard a card and special summon a Symphonic Warrior from the deck, usually Symphonic Warrior Miccs, which has a double summon effect like Gem-Knight Seraphinite.

The benefits of it over Brilliant Fusion are numerous. It doesn't take any Extra Deck investment, Miccs is a Pendulum itself with a 1 scale so it's less bricky than Garnet, Guitaar doesn't reduce the stats of what it summons so you can ruin things over the with Miccs, Miccs is a Machine so you can use it for Cyber Dragon Nova, you can run Symphonic Warrior Bassess for a level-modulating Tuner for Synchro tech... I'm in love. Basically the only reason to use Brilliant now is if you really need to dump a LIGHT monster.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hjalmar posted:

I basically made this exact same post last page lol

poo poo. :downs: It was, uh, late.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

WCS 2017 has concluded. This post is gonna spoil the results and stuff so if you care that much hit back or skim past.

For those who care, but not enough to watch the event or the VODs, the winners are:

Dragon Duels (junior league): Ryan Yu, from Canada, with a Chain Burn deck
Duel Links: Timmy, from New Zealand, with a Pegasus Toon deck, a Kaiba Ninja Beatdown deck and a Tea Mill deck
Main Event: Ryosuke Tsujimura, from Japan, with a True King Dinosaur Yang Zing deck

My personal highlights of the event:

The Dragon Duels finals between Ryan Yu and Rafael Mariano Reich, a really tense match decided by a chain of Reckless Greed into Demise into Duality into Desires into Dark Hole. Yu's build is also really unique.

The Duel Links finals between Timmy and Tutpup, if only because it's really short due to the loser dying by brick twice in a row.

The third place duel of the Main Event between Michael Forner and Marcello Barberi, just because it was a really chill mood. The stakes were low, the players were from the same country, they just had fun! It was so casual they agreed to randomise their side decking, with some great reaction shots when they checked after the duel.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sorry for the double post, things happened that are largely unrelated - the revelation of a whole bunch of new cards!

I decided when the new thread was made to do summary posts whenever a whole bunch of cards were revealed at once, like the news from VJump. So here I am! I'm not gonna over every card, you can check Ygorg for that, I'm just gonna cover the highlights.

First up, we have the first Link match winner prize cards, Sanctity of Dragon and Iron Knight of Revolution. Notably, they're also the first cards to mention being Extra Linked (the U-shape to take both Extra Monster Zones), and one of them is the first Link-5 monster. Their summoning conditions are 3+ Effect monsters of the relevant monster type, they must be Link Summoned, and they win the match when attacking for game while part of an Extra Link, so that's the prize card template going forward.

More interestingly, we have the first news for the next booster, Extreme Force. Excode Talker is the WIND of Yusaku's archetype, with the effect to lock out a couple of monster zones. They're printing Revolver's completely ridiculous anime nonsense, Fire Prison and Beltlink Wall Dragon. Even more surprisingly, there are new Pendulum monsters, supporting Spell Counters with a retrain of Mythical Beast Cerberus.

While we're on the topic of surprises, the OCG is getting the first Vendread and F.A. cards in Extra Pack 2017 along with the older TCG "exclusives", rather than waiting for the archetypes to be finished. If nothing else, this tells us what F.A. stands for - Formula Athletes.

Finally, we know a few more things coming in the new Counter Fairy structure deck. We got our Sanctuary in the Sky retrain - a Continuous Spell that protects backrow. So much for the one card in the deck that could have still been Agent-related... There's also a ridiculous new Counter Trap that has three different costs at once, but is a Nine Pillars complete with shuffle that also summons a Parshath from the deck or Extra Deck.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 14, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

https://ygorganization.com/noblearmsbeatrice/

quote:

Glory of the Noble Knights
Quick-Play Spell Card
You can only activate a card with this name once per turn.
(1) Target 1 “Noble Knight” monster you control; choose 1 Equip Spell Card from your Deck that can be equipped to that monster and equip it to that monster.
:siren:Paging Dark_Tzitzimine to the thread:siren:
Sure, I'll just cheat any equip I want out of the deck. Light Laser for a Whiptail effect, White Veil for a backrow nuke, Stoic Challenge to make Arty OTK. Knights without Arms are even Vanillas, so throw in the Phantasm Spiral stuff. This card gives the deck so many possibilities for creative deck-building, I love it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Also I wouldn't really say that a card that locks special summons for the turn is a combo extender. Even ignoring the failure of links to catch on in the face of Zoo/Draco/Dino, Scapegoat doesn't really see much play except in antimeta decks which are built around the slowness (usually to make Borreload for the removal).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As you've probably guessed, there's another big batch of news, so here I am again to write too many words.

First off, we have the promised Subterror promo, with an effect to search and flip both itself and another monster face-down.

Next is the first batch of news for Legend Duelist 2 that D_T posted, revealing Relinquished support in the form of a Thousand-Eyes Restrict retrain for Pegasus, miscellaneous Insect stuff for Weevil (not to underplay it, it makes Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth playable!), and coin flip support with a Barrel Dragon retrain for Bandit Keith.

We also have a whole lot of cards for Extreme Force, the bulk of two new archetypes. The first is Tindangles, an eldritch FLIP archetype that debuted in the latest episode of VRAINS. The other is Jacknights, the next World Legacy lore theme, based off... columns and rainbows? I guess it's not the first time they've double dipped on themes.

I held off on this post a bit because I was expecting a chance of some news about the LINK VRAINS pack, the one with Link legacy support, but it doesn't look like we're getting that tonight. If you didn't hear, thought, they confirmed Links for BA, Glad Beasts, and Qli.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Denglong, a useful card in multiple decks and the closest Synchro has been to meta relevant in a while, is dead over a deck they've made it clear they don't even want to kill. I'm grumpy about banlists again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

VJump summary post - phone posting edition

Security Dragon, as leaked the other day, has a watered down version of Firewall's bounce effect, potentially definitely useful for Grinder Golem shenanigans.

The second Yusaku structure deck (because buy Cyberse) has a FIRE code taller that's like a bargain bin Utopia the Lightning and a Level 1 monster that generates a token on summon, potentially abusable with Kinka Byo

Who cares about that poo poo though because Qli, Glad Beasts, BA, Lightsworn, Crystron and Hieratic all got Links with confirmed effects. The Crystron is amazing generic Synchro support, I'm in love.

Also Chazz has some absurd spells that use Ojamas as cost to support VWXYZ and Armed Dragon, and Ancient Gear got a backrow searcher I guess.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 15, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We don't even have Trigate Wizard yet, a banish and negation that's part of the OCG's standard final board. We will in a week though. :unsmigghh:

I remember when SPYRAL were a barely-rogue rank 1 spam deck like 3 of us on the Discord played and almost no-one else.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 29, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't like Enemy Controller very much, high level duels are sometimes just turn after turn of attack negation and getting nowhere and it bores me to sleep. I'll certainly grant that the Duel Links meta is far more varied though. Pretty agreeable banlist too, that they actually attempt to explain the decisions for.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm reasonably confident that they're not going to add Cyber Dragon and Zane will conspicuously show up with only Cyberdarks. I'm curious how they're going to handle 5Ds if they get there though, short of just skipping Aki entirely (not like that would be entirely untrue to later 5Ds :argh:), because a board wipe like Black Rose is the sort of thing they're very definitely trying to avoid.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speaking of banlists, I like how Duel Links limited Machine Angel Ritual because Cyber Angels are too strong and the protection is too much, and then immediately release Saffira, extremely powerful support for the deck, and Hymn of Light, which does the exact same thing as Machine Angel Ritual but is in a main box instead of a gate drop. :20bux:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's pay to win, and then there's pay to have access to something we literally just decided is unhealthy for the game.

Not only Gyzarus, but Glad Beasts are missing good battle protection and, most importantly, the very existence of Main Phase 2. I don't see them doing much.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It works in Duel Links because they already know how powerful most cards are and generally don't add them at all, rather than limiting them, so the banlist is very small and so far no deck has multiple cards in the same tier. If you applied the same logic to the real game's current banlist, though if Konami did they'd presumably change it, it would be sheer hell.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yet. It's currently up to the GX era in terms of mechanics, but that they added that implies they could go further. (there's also voice lines implying it, but there's voice lines implying a whole lot of stuff that will probably never happen so)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It doesn't even have to be about board-wipes being weak, OCG still has 0 Raigeki so 3 Dark Hole is basically the same amount of board-wipes TCG had forever until last banlist.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The main issue with Gem-Knights is less about deck size and more hand size - Fusions are 3 card combos that exhaust most of your hand, which is an iffy proposition unless you spend some turns turtling up and accumulating resources.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

People seem to have a serious myopia problem with this banlist.

They see Level Eater or Pendulum Magician cards banned, or some hype cards unlimited, and declare it a "good banlist" because one aspect of it made them smile a little, and completely ignore how it's now clear that the whole reason the LVP was cancelled and the cards were moved to imports (leaving some out of TCG reach for a very uncertain amount of time, and directly leading to the whole Scramble Egg clusterfuck) was to sneak Electrumite into EXFO for a few hype bucks before they hit the deck it's used in.

(And to make my opinions clear, Level Eater was seeing absolutely no competitive relevance, even with the advent of silly Link Spam decks, and one look at the OCG meta shows that Pendulum Magicians are not particularly stronger than any other LVP-empowered deck to need that much of a hit, nor the Tier 0 fear of it people have expressed in discussions online this morning. And Scramble Egg wasn't the problem, that important things like LVP Links were in import slots to be compared to it was.)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't bought cards in like 3 years but I will definitely buy this if the TCG Structure Decks are 1:1 with the OCG. Or at least if these cards are included.

TCG Structure Decks are usually very similar to the OCG counterpart, sometimes swapping out a reprint or two, but the core cards will definitely remain. They used to have issues with the release schedule, but they caught up by releasing Ancient Gears at the same time as Dinosaurs and now they're relatively on track. For this one specifically, they've already announced the date (April 20) and teased some of the new cards.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh no, what will I do without the second Yusaku-themed Cyberse deck in a row. :geno:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Just about all the upcoming new Vampire Stuff just got revealed and leaked (about loving time) keep an eye on the Ygorganization for translations of that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is all stuff we could be getting like Lunalight Kaleido Chick in main set imports but they decided the LVP needs to take up all that space instead of being its own pack instead. :argh:

And something something Scramble Egg but that wouldn't be nearly as much of a deal if it wasn't competing with the LVP for pack space so whatever.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I dunno if my approach would be too harsh, but my first thought would be to explain how that's not being ready for any situation, quite the opposite. Exodia will reduce the chance of being ready for a given situation by bricking your hand with useless cards. If you need Obelisk to beat over something, you probably don't have the resources to summon him - something like Number S39 is a lot easier (though maybe not in Blue-Eyes, I'm fairly sure some Photon Xyz have 4K though), and don't have to be drawn into - or Alternative Dragon might be able to just destroy it by effect. If you only run one copy of each card, the chances you draw into it at the same time as the unlikely situation you're running it to cover is near-0 and it'll largely just be a brick.

...and after typing all that I realise I missed the actual question at the end of the post. :downs: it's not the purest "strong guy" deck, but I'll never pass up a chance to plug Gren Maju Da Eiza banish troll - using cards like Pot of Desires, Eater of Millions and Necroface to banish a bunch of cards then summoning cards that gain absurd amounts of ATK from it. (Hopefully TCG gets Gandora Giga Rays at some point, though imports are dire as hell right now.)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Does the anime inspire the game or vice versa?

The anime comes first, and cards are adapted from it selectively. Of course some cards are more obviously made to be printed and some are obviously situational garbage that will never exist outside of the 5 minutes around the time its played.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There's no big overarching lore like in magic but usually most of the non-anime themes in main sets are connected by one of a couple of different storylines.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Only having flavour text on cards that do literally nothing is one of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s biggest failings tbh.

Of course, these days even when they do print a normal monster its flavour text is worthless. (At least in English, check the translation of the Japanese text to get mad about what they turned it into).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Orphegel are really nifty, yeah. They seemed kind of mechanically disappointing when they were first revealed, but the spells seem like they might tie things together - I haven't had a chance to give them a proper go. Even if they do turn out weak, the art and lore implications make me love them anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A HERO Lives is missing from the Limited list in the post here, that's my bad. But what a list!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

To be fair, the deck that got it hit barely even used Seraphinite, or at least not singularly. Shockingly, the Thunder Fusion deck that can make use of generic Thunder Fusions liked to summon Prismaura, and the monster definitely isn't the problem there. If anything, the fact that the hit had to come from something else reaffirms that Seraphinite, and that whole facet of the engine, were never any kind of problem.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For what it's worth there is actually a Draft Mode in Percy (Show Anime Cards, then search for Sealed Duel or Booster Draft Duel), but there's not a community for it or anything.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Rush Duels largely aren't aimed at hardcore fans. They're an attempt to get back the younger audience they're haemorrhaging to other IPs like Pokemon. With the anime to advertise them, they're probably hoping they don't need to depend on OCG Master Duel players being interested, as opposed to Speed Duels which you only know exist if you're already playing Yu-Gi-Oh!.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speed Duels are a pretty significantly different game from Duel Links, which at this point is just TCG-but-not with even more predatory power creep. The format has some neat things. It's probably doomed not to last for similar reasons to DL though, so it would have been worth killing sooner or later.

Pendulums weren't just a problem at the end of MR3, but all throughout MR4 despite the rules changes. In both cases, it was more due to absolutely careless card design rather than an inherent problem with the mechanic, but it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Bee posted:

Wait, isn't Duel Links all about speed duels?

Duel Links uses Speed Duels in the sense of 3 zones, half-deck, half LP, 4 card hand, but is distinct from the TCG Speed Duel line of products which uses its own card pool and skills, and that's what we're discussing maybe getting replaced by the OCG's new low-power alternate format line of products. Duel Links is still going strong for the foreseeable future, it's a very successful gacha game that doesn't really conflict with IRL product. (For added fun, VRAINS' depiction of Speed Duels is separate from both).