Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

been playing master duel after not playing yugioh since spamming out blue eyes ultimate dragons with cyber stein in eternal duelist soul two decades ago. props to zenmasterbullshit for the referral code.

i'm just kind of casually going through the solo stuff right now and whenever i max out on gems (why the gently caress is there a gem max) i buy one of the 750 gem staple packs cause i keep hearing about ash blossoms and whatnot and those all seem to include staples and also give packs for 75 cents on the dollar which seems pretty good.

i'm kind of looking at archetypes to build into and i am totally lost - it seems like snake eyes is the best deck but having read a returner guide on master duel meta mikanko seems like it combines two of my casual favs back in the day - dumb wacky ritual relinquished poo poo and dumb equip spell poo poo. trying to figure out how far my freebie gems with stretch and how much of a tryhard i want to be with basically zero game knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Flair posted:

Regardless of what deck you choose, in most cases, you are still going to have to study how various decks work if you want to try hard since Yu-Gi-Oh, at the tryhard levels, requires that you understand how to stop various other kinds of decks or how your deck would interact against them.

my next followup questions were going to be about this, actually. i was pretty okay at magic and hearthstone but ygo seems to be a whole other beast in terms of how much it demands from the player. what are the best sources for learning the meta? what twitch/youtube people are good and not insufferable, what are the best sources for online guides, etc.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

thanks all for the responses

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Yugioh is a completely different game and community from hearthstone and magic, yeah. There's no "article culture", basically all content is either videos, twitch streams or discord channels, and the discords can be... interesting (pejorative).

In terms of competitive content creators, pretty much your only options that aren't just some rando are Joshua Schmidt and Jesse Kotton, or Garret Schier, and maybe Pak but all of them mainly focus on the TCG not Master Duel. Although there's still more than enough similarity to get something out of them imo, and there's a lot of twitch stream/VOD channel content about Master Duel. I guess you could also try MBT... but if you're looking for someone who isn't insufferable, probably not :v:

yeah i gathered that the community is different pretty quickly. article culture meant i could see an article by lsv and know it's going to have useful info (and a ton of dumb puns) in it, but ygo seems like it's a lot like most modern things where the internet is a wasteland and most of the good info is on streams and hidden in discords, like you said. i'll check those streamers out - i'm mostly looking for snake-eyes vods to study.

if any of the discords are less "interesting" than the others while still having good info i'm interested in them also

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there are some decent "where to handtrap" guides online, but they tend to cover TCG meta

i'll look into that. it is wild to me coming from other games that the tcg, ocg, and master duel are all separate metagames

Nyaa posted:

They seem to be guest writers, so the quality varies. The one for mikanko at least went to the discord to collect builds, too bad it’s outdated now that snake-eye took over.

yeah, the writing seems, uh, bad. here's mikanko guy talking about one of the cards lol

quote:

however this fox goddess was not meant to sullie her fantastic legs by being summoned.

like, bro

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite story about archetype discords being incredibly variable was - the Melffy discord had to be shut down due to toxicity

lol

Flair posted:

There are some better videos out there if you understand Japanese, but it is still mostly VODS

unfortunately i do not. took a crack at learning it last year and was too time consuming.