Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

one of the last things i care about are reports of hollywood actors being primadonna assholes. i cannot think of a less notable fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Put Jake Gyllenhall in any movie Tom Hardy was in and the movie instantly gets better.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Pillowpants posted:

Put Jake Gyllenhall in any movie Tom Hardy was in and the movie instantly gets better.

Can we try the vice versa?

I want to see Connor McGregor loudly complaining that he can't understand a goddamn word out of Dalton's mouth.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Saw Fall Guy on IMAX today. I respect the concept of making a movie that’s a love letter to stunt people but

a) I don’t understand why they had Gosling and Blunt do so many of their own stunts/fighting (or at least made it look that way which is the same thing) when the whole point was to shine a spotlight on the stunt crew, and

b) to me stunts aren’t there to just look cool and fun, they’re supposed to emphasize the story and so many of the stunts felt pointless and over long. At times this just felt like a really nice recording of that Waterworld live show.

All that said a lot of people at the showing were really into it but it’s an early viewing so I’m guessing a lot of industry-adjacent people were there because they were cheering at some of the stunt work and callouts in particular.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I enjoy movies about movies more than most so those aspects are fine to me but it def got bogged down a bit in the beginning with the relational stuff which is ironic because they would joke about the edit though more in a "can you believe they want to edit down perfection?!" kind of way that those kinda movies can get about themselves.

Few things muddled the motivation to me too. If Gosling (not remembering names sorry. Nature of movies about movies for me, esp with the added stunt versions of characters) was in physical pain and even disabled for a bit could he not be given some slack for being unreachable?

The mystery aspect did make it hard to know or care who the villains were though once revealedATJ being the bad guy was fun but probably needed more of that

The Journey trailer was honestly so much funner energy for me

Also 2 couples left during my screening lol

probably that aforementioned buildup in the beginning bored them to death

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Anyone else watch baby assassins 2? It's a lot like the first one. There isn't a ton of action, but the fights are really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPTIuiZTeY

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Will be seeing Fall Guy. It’s not performing so well at the box office but is #1.

EDIT: Liked it, a good time was had, Emily Blunt is wonderful in it, peeps in my audience found it funny at times, had good stunts and nice fight choreography, would watch again.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 6, 2024

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

absolutely bizarre take. Like, genuinely completely out there.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
One More Shot just got added to Netflix, watched 20 minutes and will finish later once I get my kids down. I'm enjoyed it so far, decent enough action and it seems that Atkins actually took a few firearms courses so it looks like he almost knows what he is doing now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I didn’t see a lot of posts about it; but Boy Kills World is a really fun time.

McGann
May 19, 2003

well why not posted:

I do not understand why this movie is only getting one showing per day in my area, and it's at 10:00 p.m.

I want to see it in theater but I'm also old and tired Damnit.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It had a few showings here in Sydney. Dead cinema though. Reallllly solidified that b movie status

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

How's Jessica Rothe in it? Been wanting to see more of her since the Happy Death Day movies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boy Kills World looks like it's got some dope action but is incredibly obnoxious. I guess I'll bring some earplugs.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Boy Kills World looks like it's got some dope action but is incredibly obnoxious. I guess I'll bring some earplugs.

well why not posted:

Eh I saw it at Regal's mystery movie showing and its very very mid. The H Jon Benjamin voice over is absolutely unnecessary and the writing for the voice over specifically is not funny enough to warrant having H Jon do the talking. If they were going to bring an iconic voice actor in they should have given him better material or let him workshop it more. I can think of maybe 1 specific scene where the voice over was funny. The movie itself IS funny though, there are some fun gags. The fighting stuff is really meh, it does this kind of whip pan almost CGI camera thing during the fights that reminded me a lot of Argyle and it was obnoxious. Very shaky fights. Also much like John Wick 3 having Yayan Ruhian in the movie but not pairing him with anyone that can actually match his tempo is sad. There is also a story spoiler bit where its revealed 2 of the characters are related, and it would have worked so much better if they were just enemies to lovers instead of secret siblings because every shot looks like theyre about to kiss or fall in love via rear end kicking

Including massive raging rear end in a top hat zionist Brett Gelman playing his normally gross and disgusting character type was also a bummer.

Jessica Rothe's character was pretty cool.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oof the more I hear about this the worse it sounds. I'll just moviepass Monkey Man.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just watched The Fall Guy since there wasn't anything else playing that my friend wanted to see.

It's an utterly pointless movie. Framed as a love letter to stunts it doesn't actually contain a whole lot of really interesting stuntwork. There's a bunch of fighting and a finale that has a kitchen sinky vibe to it, but there's very little in the way of creativity in there, imo.

The people at 87North clearly have a passion for stunts but for some reason they never seem to design any stunts that are "holy poo poo" level, apart from an opening car roll that was genuinely insane.

You'd expect these kinds of movies to embrace the physicality of it all, since I'm sure stunt design and safety has improved since 80s HK action cinema days, but it's definitely not showing in this "love letter to stunt performers".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's a bleak time in theaters because I knew right off the bat that Fall Guy and Boy Kills World ain't poo poo. That doesn't leave a lot.

It's sad because I actually liked Bullet Train. It's like if Joe Carnahan made a good movie. It's like if Smoking Aces was 300% less obnoxious. Don't deny that loving movie, Michael Shannon is a motherfucking anime villain.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Sagacity posted:

You'd expect these kinds of movies to embrace the physicality of it all, since I'm sure stunt design and safety has improved since 80s HK action cinema days, but it's definitely not showing in this "love letter to stunt performers".

I disagree completely. I just saw it last night as well and literally every scene features a classic stunt or fight choreography move. Its a love letter to all those classic hollywood stunts you've seen (literally the boat chase scene looks like a higher budget version of the Universal Studios stunt show!!) not a love letter to "extreme stunts".

I get that it would be cool if there was something more extreme, and honestly I wish they had hyped up the car roll more, but as it stands I was shouting and pointing at the screen like Leo in every scene as I saw another classic stunt worked into the scene!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Jerkface posted:

I disagree completely. I just saw it last night as well and literally every scene features a classic stunt or fight choreography move. Its a love letter to all those classic hollywood stunts you've seen (literally the boat chase scene looks like a higher budget version of the Universal Studios stunt show!!) not a love letter to "extreme stunts".
It's genuinely nice you took that away from the movie, but I'm not sure audiences are going to flock to a new Hal Needham movie when you can also just rewatch The Raid 2 or an 80s Jackie Chan film.

(Not trying to diminish what stunt performers can do of course, since even basic stunts can be super dangerous if done incorrectly)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Sagacity posted:

It's genuinely nice you took that away from the movie, but I'm not sure audiences are going to flock to a new Hal Needham movie when you can also just rewatch The Raid 2 or an 80s Jackie Chan film.

(Not trying to diminish what stunt performers can do of course, since even basic stunts can be super dangerous if done incorrectly)

I don't think the demographic for this movie is the same as people who will watch raid to or any eighties Jackie Chan movies, unless it's randomly found on TV.

Though the reason for showcasing classic stunts to an audience who won't recognize him as classic stunts? Not sure

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The corridor guys had David Leitch on the other day to showcase Fall Guy if you just want to see some of the stunt stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ_muFeSPHo

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

McGann posted:

I don't think the demographic for this movie is the same as people who will watch raid to or any eighties Jackie Chan movies, unless it's randomly found on TV.

Though the reason for showcasing classic stunts to an audience who won't recognize him as classic stunts? Not sure
yeah so that's going to be a super niche audience that gets a kick out of seeing dar robinson style descents I guess

so not surprising the movie is underperforming at the box office i guess

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

i feel like audiences would go see it for the funny rom com elements and ryan gosling, it's a fun movie

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
In the fall guy, was the doggo that bites balls one one of doggos that bites balls from John Wick? The 87North guys seem really proud of that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow 87north has some rough bullshit but hey still better than Joe Carnahan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You say that but The Grey, A-Team and Stretch own a whole lot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah and Bullet Train was actually like if someone made a way less obnoxious Smokin Aces. Michael Shannon owns in that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You say that but The Grey, A-Team and Stretch own a whole lot.

A-Team is a sleeper and ripe for a reevaluation. That movie just works.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
See I was about to go give that a shot but then I saw "directed by Joe Carnahan" and I'd rather be in Gitmo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

See I was about to go give that a shot but then I saw "directed by Joe Carnahan" and I'd rather be in Gitmo

Give it a shot and tell the thread what you thought of it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ok that IS a solid loving cast.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's dope that the a team was there in Iraq to help create ISIS. I'm sure Sharlto Copley got to some crazy hijinks

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

A-Team is dope as gently caress, and 100% true to the essence of the show ...

... Too bad about Quentin Jackson's lack of acting ability. He really fit the part.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I fell asleep at some point. Thought it was OK. Definitely less obnoxious than your average Carnahan. Good cast and some decent action.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

null_pointer posted:

A-Team is dope as gently caress, and 100% true to the essence of the show ...

... Too bad about Quentin Jackson's lack of acting ability. He really fit the part.

Out of the four leads they gave the big dramatic arc to... Quentin Jackson. That was an interesting choice. Lol.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I remember it being fine but you can tell how well it did since they didn’t make a sequel. I imagine if it had done well we’d be on our tenth A-Team movie with The Rock.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I fell asleep at some point.

A ringing fuckin' endorsement :patriot:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Out of the four leads they gave the big dramatic arc to... Quentin Jackson. That was an interesting choice. Lol.

During the scene in the diner, post prison bus escape, Jackson was trying to explain his conversion to non-violence and I could not loving understand 50 percent of what he was trying to say. I remember it as just marble-mouthed incomprehensibility on the level of Nolan's Bane.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I fell asleep not long after that. I could understand him fine but it didn't help much. Not a great performance, especially for a role I wouldn't call emotionally complex or anything.

It's a good movie to fall asleep to though, I'll give it that second ringing endorsement. Could be worse, I fell asleep to Paranormal Activity 2 Tokyo Night and I had night terrors more creative and spooky than the movie.

Not as good as Bullet Train tho imo. Michael Shannon really rockets that movie's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Bullet Train jumps up several stars when you imagine Michael Shannon's complex reactions as he learned about and then portrayed his anime as gently caress character.