Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To start us off (and date us) here's a trailer for Triple Threat, an upcoming action movie featuring a bunch of big DTV and martial arts names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbvxh-_2Ts

Is this the best action ensemble cast ever assembled? It seems that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The Mission is another excellent Johnnie To, it's understated but effective and the action is purposeful and exciting.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fart City posted:

Cobra

Obligatory Robot Model Fashion Shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0luO0VYh5o

Watch Cobra.

Cobra is well worth a watch for 80s action fans indeed. It's got all the staples. And I have to say there is no doubt in my mind that robot photo shoot montage is absolutely the most 1980s sequence ever put to film.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

More not usually publicized, from what I gather. It seems like lately it's been happening once every few months or so.

e: a ghoulish question, but I wonder if they trash the take when a stuntperson dies, or use it anyways if it looks "right"?

My guess is that they would use it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I think they tend not to. That is, apparently, why Michael Bay reused footage from The Island in Transformers 3, because someone died in that stunt.

I think it's a thing where if a stuntman is injured and the footage is useable that will make it into the film, I guess a death would be a bit different but it's probably a case by case thing. If they died the stunt probably went wrong and would not be useable, but what if they completed it with injuries and it still looked good? Would it be disrespectful to include it? If it were me i'd want the footage to be used if it could be.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If you think a film in which Jean Claude Van Damme punches out a snake is not self-aware i'd love to hear your definition of the term

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah both Death race 2 and 3 are worth watching, both pretty decent production for a DTV luke goss movie and will entertain you if your action standards are fairly low like mine

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah thats the classic action movie editing, nowadays you see a stunt once and you blink and you miss it. A lot of it is CGI anyway. in the old days a lot of effort, risk and skill went into stunts so you're going to see them over and over from every angle and you drat well enjoyed it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Let's not forget about the story of Seagal trying to impress people by fighting a stunt man on set and ending up literally making GBS threads himself

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah I second that the Lethal Weapon TV show is good fun and worth watching through. Great character interactions, a bit of action, glitzy LA crimes, what more do you need.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maverick began its life as Wild, Wild West. Richard Donner was going to direct it, Mel Gibson was going to star as Jim West and Shane Black was going to write the script, but it fell through, so Donner and Gibson did Maverick instead. Black's script for Wild, Wild West is on the Internet but I haven't read any of it.

Best Mel Gibson acting movie since 2000 was Chicken Run. :v:

Watch Blood Father if you haven't seen it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of got brought up in the movie poster thread but the Mechanic remake with Statham is a really solid action movie.

The sequel fits the bill too although the action is not filmed particularly well.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wasn’t De Niro putting on 50 pounds for the end of Raging Bull a big deal? And also didn’t Rock Hudson beef up after it came out that he was gay?

I'm pretty sure it didn't come out that he was gay until after he died

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Rogue Nation is the best and is just a really solid action/spy movie that is pure entertainment. The others are good too, MI:2 in particular is an acquired taste, as one of Woo's hollywood movies it's got a lot of style. All of them though have the benefit of Cruise throwing endless enthusiasm into the role and of course doing as much of his own stunts and running as possible and it shows.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I also find it particularly impressive how he held his breath for real for 6 minutes for the underwater scene in Rogue nation. The man is dedicated to getting the shot

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
While we're at it LIVE.DIE.REPEAT: Edge of Tomorrow is perhaps the ultimate cruise action film. He makes fun of himself by being a loser at the beginning but still gets to be the action hero by the end. There is big sci fi action but still lots of practical stunts he did. The plot revolves around a world ending threat but still revolves around one man saving it, with a sci-fi twist.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah the aliens are a bit uninspired and I suppose the ending doesn't quite live up to the inventiveness of the rest of the plot but it's the best sci-fi action movie of recent times for sure. Also the sound effects are amazing, definitely the most aggressive sounding film i've tried on my system ever. e.g. when Cruise blows up that big alien with the landmine the noise is ear melting

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The thing I found annoying about the MI series is how literally every movie is Ethan Hunt going off book without any help from the IMF.

Well usually Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are helping too

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Something I found weird about White House Down is the scene near the beginning where Channing Tatum is pretending to be cowering in fear on the bathroom floor and uses this opportunity to shoot a bad guy. It came across as really odd and a bad look for the character.

Pfff that's just improvising when the odds aren't in your favour

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Also don't watch the reboot.

Yeah. Unless you have nothing better to do and want to watch a junky europacorp style action movie with even more anemic action than usual

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Eliminators is worth a watch, it's a decent Adkins "agent vs assassin" type movie, it's not wall to wall action and no real large scale shoot outs but it has some good fight scenes and is a fairly well made movie overall

e: while on the subject also his recent Hard Target is a pretty good jungle action movie, the action leans towards over the top but it's a fun movie

and Jarhead 3 is a half-decent war shoot em up, packed with military style shootouts. it looks fairly cheap and none of it is particularly spectacular but if you're not very demanding of your action movies it's worth a watch

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah the new Strike back is decent enough but of course it doesn't capture the spirit of the Scott and Stonebridge adventures.

In terms of Sullivan Stapleton I actually really like Blindspot. It's got it all, action, mystery, threat of mass death by terrorism narrowly thwarted every single week, and all the Sullivan Stapleton and Jaimie Alexander you could ever need

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Now I gotta decide whether to watch Con Air or Face/Off tonight

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
How uh, how do you rank Lethal weapon 4 above 1

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Shoot em up would be a lot better if Clive Owen didn't look completely bored the whole movie.

He sells the lines like "gently caress you, you loving fuckers" and "eat your veggies" with his deadpan performance though

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Combatace posted:

I checked out Spectral (2016) last night. It was well paced, solid fun. Didn’t realize that I’ve really been looking for Delta Force Ghostbusters but here we are.

I also always get excited when Max Martini pops up in anything. I’m thinking next up is going to be Savage Dogs with Scott Adkins. Has anybody seen?

Yep that's a good old fashioned action fest, bit rough around the edges but Adkins is good as usual

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

The Bond films are a bit weird in retrospect, because they're action movies where a lot of the time the action is pretty pedestrian. There are plenty of cases of someone doing their own version of Bond that's actually more exciting than the real thing: Spielberg with Raiders or Cameron with True Lies, for example. Martin Campbell is the only Bond director who really tried to amp things up throughout - the fight between Bond and Trevelyan in Goldeneye was another of the few edge-of-seat sequences from the entire series.

I don't agree with this at all. Maybe by today's standards the action is pedestrian but the films have always been known for their spectacular and real stunts. Anything in any Bond film blows anything in True Lies out of the water in terms of craftsmanship and skill for example. And in terms of consistancy pretty much every film has at least one or two hugely impressive and thrilling stunts or action scenes. It's real people often in highly dangereous situations. I think whether it's "exciting" or not by today's standards can speak to the editing style, the pacing, or the varying quality of the stories over the years but in my mind they've always been very impressive films purely based on the action and stunts in dramatic locations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

True Lies smokes Bond films in terms of skill and craftsmanship. And misogyny.

As a big budget Cameron special effects spectacle sure. In terms of stunts, well I guess the horse chase is pretty good

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Die Another Day - Hovercraft chase
World is not Enough - River thames speedboat chase
Tomorrow never dies - Vietnam city bike/helicopter chase
Goldeneye - Dam jump, tank chase
Licence to kill - Seaplane hang, big rig truck chase
Living Daylights - Ice car chase, plane scene
View to a Kill - Eiffel tower jump
Octopussy - Airplane flies through a warehouse
For Your Eyes Only - Helicopter antics in London, Citroen hillside chase, Massive cliff climb/fall
Moonraker - Skydive fight
Spy who loved Me - Famous ski jump
Man with the Golden Gun - Car corkscrew barrell roll jump
Live and Let Die - Bayou speed boat chase, walking over live crocodiles

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah in fact the action genre pretty much didn't exist in the 60s so i'd say the Bond films played a big part in creating the genre itself

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Narzack posted:

What do you guys think are some of the most perfect action sequences in western film?

Just some off the top of my head

The crash landing/Louvre battle scene from Edge of Tomorrow, combination of spectacular visuals and a genuinely thrilling and tense scene in the context of the movie

Burton/Nola fight in the Banshee tv show, extremely brutal and well crafted visceral fight scene with a real sense of unpredictability and true desperation

Ciudad Juarez/Border crossing scene in Sicario - not a huge action scene in the traditional sense but a masterclass in drawn out tension

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Action and reaction are never in the same shot. When Nick Fury is being chased, the cops chasing him and him are never in the same shot. You get a shot of him trying to manuver the car, a shot of the cop firing, then a different shot of some glass breaking. It never feels like it's all happening in the same location.

Nick Fury scene:

During the initial gun battle the positions are clear and there are several shots establishing positions so that separate firing and impact shots do not confuse the viewer in terms of locations and placements. There are also several shots with a gun firing and showing impact in the same shot.

There are clear shots of Fury's suv and the pursuing cop cars in the same shot throughout the car chase parts. The relative positions of the vehicles are never not clear.

During the traffic jam part things are a bit more confusing but its a straight line so it's easy to follow, and the less clear shots do add to the chaos of the scene. When Fury comes to the side of a bus, an attacker runs to the other side and fires through the bus at him, the positions are clearly established, and camera movement sells the direction and impact of the attacker firing at fury. There is a shot of him firing through the bus window from inside Fury's car pov.

During the next part of the chase again it is clear what is going on with pursuers and Fury moving in the same shot. There are several shots of the cops firing at Fury in motion, with both attacker and target in the same shot.

Overall there are perhaps a few too many cuts throughout the sequence but it is a well staged sequence and it's always clear thorough the shots, camera work and editing what is going on during the sequence and compared to most modern action scenes it is very legible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Ok then, it's a good sequence which you described inaccurately, was what I was getting at.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

When Nick Fury is being chased, the cops chasing him and him are never in the same shot.

Wrong, as I said during the chase parts, the SUV and cop cars are often in the same shot which is very clear.

Snowman_McK posted:

It never feels like it's all happening in the same location.

Total exaggeration, it's always clear what is happening spatially and where things are in relation to each other.

I've already given examples of shooting and impacts being in the same shot of which there are several in the sequence. Of course there are plenty of cases with separate shots, which is true of 90% of action movies. It's more of a problem in a hand to hand scene where you want everything in the same shot to sell the fight. In a shootout it's not really a problem as long as the position of the actors is established clearly beforehand so it doesn't get confusing.

The rocket launcher sequence comprises of the following shots:
Extreme close up of rocket being launched.
PoV from Fury's angle of rocket heading to directly to the black van which is clearlyin the shot.
High angle of rocket hitting the van with Fury's suv in the shot on the right.
Different angle of the explosion and then another rocket hits another car from off screen, though we know where it came from from what we just saw.

Not sure what the problem is with that. Very clear what is going on. And the bus scene as I've already described is well constructed.

Of course all this could have been done with more imagination and style if you're really being a harsh critic but again in terms of modern big budget action movies, many of which are shaky ultra quick cut messes, it's good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I literally just watched it too, maybe we saw different clips. I mean i could screenshot it for you and circle the relevant parts but I can't really be bothered

Also the raid 2 is great but the car chase is probably the weakest of the action scenes

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 10, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Payndz posted:

I disagree here; I find Supremacy and Ultimatum two cases where shakycam is actually used well. The camera is always moving and the cuts are fast, but everything is framed so that the viewer can tell what they're supposed to be looking at in each shot. I never had any trouble following what was happening even on first viewing in the cinema. YMMV, clearly.

I agree, normally shaky cam and quick cuts are an incoherent mess but Greengrass is one of the few cases where it feels like it's a legitimate technique deliberately used to increase the tension and intensity of the scene. Haven't seen Supremacy in a while but in Ultimatum the action scenes are effective, a bit harder to follow I guess than they would be but the intensity is definitely kicked up a notch

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Speaking of action star i finally watched Accident Man and it's the best Adkins movie in years so if you haven't seen it yet make sure to pay for it to support this type of movie getting made

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Legacy was ok but the worst part was they introduce this big scary "asset" and then there is no fight scene between him and Renner.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So a man with huge talent is a bit arrogant. Who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Well he's no Jackie Chan but nobody is. Still if Donnie wants to talk up his huge talent on a dvd commentary more power to him.