Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

muscles like this! posted:

So has anyone seen that new Chinese action movie Wolf Warriors 2? Apparently it has been loving blowing up in the overseas box office. It's already made almost half a billion dollars despite only being out a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqGiPB2D8M

Posted about this in the China thread somewhere, but the fist Wolf Warriors was hilarious. Can't wait to see the sequel.

I don't know if I would call it good, but it is definitely entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There's another Universal Soldier sequel that comes directly before it, Regeneration, which I haven't seen yet, but it's by the same director, so I would suspect it's also worthwhile.

Regeneration is actually crazy good and way better than Day of Judgment. I have no idea how after the terrible Universal Soldier sequels this one happened and can understand why not many people saw it, but it it seriously good. Bit too much of the ground & pound stuff for my taste if I remember correctly, but there is a really cool long take of Van Damme clearing out a building and seeing how broken Deveraux is even after decades of therapy only to be asked to throw it all aside was way more effective than it should have been in a low budget movie like this. The not too surprising guest appearance was also really well done.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 10, 2017

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Quote is not edit

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Quote is not edit

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Okay, the first Wolf Warrior is on Netflix and bare bones translation aside, that's a weird loving movie. For just how completely over the top the jingoism is, like the scene where they learn that foreign mercenaries have invaded China and so they replace their unit patches with ones that are Chinese flags with "I Fight for China" written on them.

Also had a good laugh at "American" mercenary Scott Adkins not bothering to cover up his British accent.

It takes the pretty standard story of a small elite team out against hordes of mooks, but you are supposed to root for the mooks.
To me it felt like they were condemning those filthy Americans for daring to use things like tactics, skills and quick strikes instead of nobly getting gunned down by superior numbers.
Wasn't the scene with the sniper that he shoots a bunch of them, they shoot down trees to hide behind and he kind of walks away? Portrayed as a huge victory against the underhanded tactics he was using.
It wants you to think that running into minefields and lanes of fire is the bravest thing ever, they even delay an airstrike so the survivors can charge the Americans and regain their honour.
That is how I remember it at least.

Also, the kung fu knife Wolf fight out of nowhere.
And a huge military exercise where hundreds of drugdealers infiltrate the whole thing.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Free Fire was a kickass shootout movie too, should be due for redbox soon

It was impressive how long it managed to keep a single shootout between just half a dozen people interesting, but unfortunately the movie was still too long to keep it up all the way through.
I don't regret seeing it, Arnie Hammer's smug rear end in a top hat was the best.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

As far as my favorite action scenes that haven’t been mentioned, the entire third act of Commando is stupid as hell and I love it to pieces, because it absolutely does not give a gently caress.

You might like this, these guys seem to understand how ridiculous it was and embrace it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfBTOZu2jik

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think the main problem with the budget getting out of control was that hurricane, that effectively doubled the budget because they had to rebuild it all from scratch.

They also used 1000 tons of steel to build the Atoll, I think it used up all the steel available in Hawaii at the time.

This article details some of the problems and is a fun read in general;
http://ew.com/article/2009/03/01/waterworlds-tumultuous-times-ew-archive/

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

brocked posted:

I've heard the whole thing is based on Zapp Brannigan's battle strategy

The first Wolf Warrior definitely is, haven't seen the second one yet.

Small elite team vastly outnumbered using their superior skills, technology and every advantage they can get to make it out.....but in this case the good guys are the Chinese cannon fodder and the elite team are evil Americans attacking China for money. Expect brave charges into ambushes, red-shirts dying by the drove for the motherland and outrage when a sniper dares to use cover.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There's also a fighting robot based on Arnie in Aliens Vs Predator - the video game, no not that one, or that, the side scrolling one.

That's not a robot, it is Dutch Schaefer with a bionic arm :black101:

I think his in-game bio stated he lost his arm in the blast when the Predator killed himself at the end of the movie.

I must've finished that game a dozen times, it was really fun.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

BioTech may be misremembering; cyber-Dutch was built like 100 years after Predator, and lost his arm in ‘The Second Alien War’.

You're right! One of my favorite beat-em-ups, but it has been a while.

I could've sworn someone lost an arm to a Predator explosion at some point, though.

At first I thought it may have been in the super wacky comic with the original idea for Predator 2. Dutch's big brother as a NY cop going to the jungle and a Russian nuclear power plant in Siberia.
However, paging through it I cannot find anything about it either.

Oh well

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe something like that happens in The Night Comes for Us? So much violence in that movie it would be easy to forget a little bit like that.

I saw that two days ago and don´t remember it. Then again, just like you said, there is so much happening small moments don't stand out.

Maybe Headshot, the movie before The Night Comes for Us? Same choreography team if I remember correctly.

The trailer has someone wielding a gun getting his arm grabbed and then stabbed in the neck with a chopstick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhoytk0Hfw&t=117s

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I'm working my way through that top 50 list and holy mother of God Tokyo tribe is fantastic

Yeah, it's a trip alright.

I am also filling in the gaps, but having seen it this week I really don't get the love for Furie. It just feels so....bland.
I have a hard time putting it into words, but it does nothing original or interesting. It comes across as a dozen decent movies mixed together into one grey mass, without any personality or style.

Revenger falls hilariously short when it comes to the story and acting, but the fight scenes were really good. Hwoarang kicks all day every day.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Yeah, I really didn't care for the new Rambo either.
It was an hour of the girl getting kidnapped, raped and drugged with him wandering around and just one action scene during that whole time.

While I liked the gore in the finale, the rest of it felt really uninspired. There were no stakes or tension, I had given up well before it finished.
It ends with a Mortal Kombat fatality, the stupidity of that made me laugh out loud.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

So 6 Underground is kinda ok, decent action and whatnot, but everything to do with Four and his parkour bullshit is just dumb. The whole point of parkour is supposedly to get from point A to point B as quickly and directly as possible, but the bad guys are constantly breathing down his neck. Maybe just quit the bullshit and run like a normal person if all that stuff isn't actually helping you evade pursuers.

I thought 6 Underground had two fun ideas for kinetic action scenes, did those, and the car chase well, but everything else was just a mess.
Weird tonal shifts, sanitized violence mixed up with gory shots, weird character building, it all seemed very unpolished.
I get the idea this was a rushed project, where multiple scripts were mashed together without any attempt to create a whole.

I'll watch the next installment of Bay does Ryan Reynolds' Mission Impossible.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I love both I Saw The Devil and The Man From Nowhere so if anyone has more recommendations along those lines post em.

The Chaser.
I honestly would describe that one as I Saw the Devil Light. Less gore, more thriller, almost as great.

I also really dug New World, though it is a gangster film.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

morestuff posted:

Technically not a movie (although I guess it was also released as a movie?), but Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal is kind of a masterpiece. Best animation I’ve seen in years and incredible action. Feels like it got buried though I don’t really keep up with the cartoon scene. Season 1 is on HBO Max and the new season starts in a few days

Yes, it is absolutely amazing. I usually describe it as Mad Max Fury Road, but with dinosaurs.
The best part is nobody speaks, everything is shown through movement and action.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

My prediction is that that movie will be fine, baseline competent in a way that hollywood films increasingly aren't, and have an absolutely soul rending ending that absolutely deserved to be in a better movie. That's been my experience with South Korean action films.

gently caress, page snipe. Sorry friends.

Sounds like I'm gonna love it!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Hirez posted:

man I don't even know where to begin with the latest Adkins movie - I can't even think of the name and don't see any wiki/imdb page for it ot -- you'll wanna see Bullet Train before it since it turns into a Bullet train sequel ) e: e: seriously i can't find any mention of it and don't see it on my server anymore... maybe I just dreamed it..

It wasn't Section 8, was it?
I saw that one and it was dire, but no train stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Project Wolf Hunting was pretty disappointing. It delivered the gore without any novel action, plot, or characterisation. One of those movies where the effects team and actors did a decent job with a limited an unimaginative script.

Yeah, I also couldn't get over how incredibly mundane the monster was.
Someone mentioned it was like a Resident Evil boss so I expected something gross, fleshy and mutated, but it was just a guy with his eyes closed.
Such a disappointment.

I do give it credit for going through characters faster than anything I've ever seen, nobody was safe.