Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Yes Madam

Saw this recently and I wouldn't call it 'good' in a traditional sense, but it's absolutely nuts and 80s and Hong Kong and is a ton of fun. Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock as badass cops and there's a bunch of great fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4IAe3VmUpk

I've been watching quite a bit of Johnnie To lately as well and while not straight up action, Drug War, Exiled, and Three(this one's on Netflix), are all good cop/crime movies that contain some top notch action. Three is the weakest of those but worth it imo just for the climactic slow motion hospital shootout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To start us off (and date us) here's a trailer for Triple Threat, an upcoming action movie featuring a bunch of big DTV and martial arts names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVbvxh-_2Ts

If you want some Tony Jaa right now Kill Zone 2 (SPL 2: A Time for Consequences) is available on Netflix. Don't worry about the title there's no plot continuity from the first SPL/Kill Zone so you don't need to seek it out (but you totally should because it's got Donnie Yen vs Sammo Hung). The action is really good and Jaa has a bunch of lines and it turns out he can act.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CCFEDPMLmA

It also looks like there's a third SPL film coming soon, hopefully it'll get some sort of theatrical release here. Tony Jaa is back and it's directed by Wilson Yip, who did the first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-JQJGDX8Y

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Speaking of the HK heyday I forgot to mention how the first Kill Zone (SPL) is basically a classic heroic bloodshed movie, but with an emphasis on family. Those movies have traditionally ignored or discarded the heroes' families, but in SPL they're foregrounded in a big way for that sort of film. The bulk of it takes place on Father's Day and a lot of time is spent showing how this style of hero makes a lovely dad. Also the fights are good, Donnie Yen is good, and Sammo Hung is still the best

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

So has anyone seen that new Chinese action movie Wolf Warriors 2? Apparently it has been loving blowing up in the overseas box office. It's already made almost half a billion dollars despite only being out a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqGiPB2D8M

Wu Jing was great in Kill Zone 2 and I see him driving a tank in that trailer. I'm down for some propaganda if it's fun and the action is good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/TIFF_NET/status/897460034925363200

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah Chow Yun-Fat is the best and most charismatic action star

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RqQr-nUy18

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Does having a woman instead of a dude sliding across a banquet table shooting two guns count as a new trick?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think Dredd is a bit better because it has characters. But sometimes it's nice to watch 100 straight minutes of cool stunts and murders and for that The Raid is perfect. John Wick 2 spent too much time explaining lore imo

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It's a good article but the bit where "He was one of hundreds. All these boys and girls at the drama school. A few of them went on to be movie actors like he did. But only Jackie has a hundred films" isn't quite right. Yuen Biao has over 100 acting credits and Sammo has more of both acting and directing credits than Jackie.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Since 2012:

Drug War - for fans of cop/triad heroic bloodshed films. One of the very best of the genre while rejecting convention and reinventing it. Also a good intro to Johnie To who is fantastic.

Dredd - Sure it's based on a comic but it's more of an action movie than recent comic book spectacle.

Resident Evil: Retribution and The Final Chapter - I liked this series and the last two were the best. Kind of need to watch all six though

Killzone 2 - Martial arts choreography on par with the Raid films imo

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

This is one hell of a cast
https://twitter.com/tonyjaaofficial/status/928426948925128704

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Watched The Villainess tonight and really enjoyed it. Rented through Vudu, it said $4 on the site but was just $1 when I went through the app on my tv.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Lobok posted:

I really don't mind showing off an impressive stunt multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMlG-EVoqFw&t=414s

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I haven’t seen La Femme Nikita but The Villainess is a good action movie you should watch it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the big "touchstone" action movies?

There's the Sean Connery James Bond movies. 48 Hrs. must be one. Die Hard, obviously. The Matrix. Possibly The Bourne Identity?

Hard Boiled

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm here to report that A Better Tomorrow 2018 is bad there's nothing in it to like don't watch.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Yeah we need more grown up, adult prison movies. Like Riki-Oh

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ip Man vs. 10 men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upwyWKzozII

Another one where the context makes it soooo much more satisfying to watch than if you just see it on it's own. That seems to be a running theme, when the action means something it's raised to another level. This is the scene where I fell in love with Donnie Yen.

Kung Fu Hustle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDr1MD2a1aM

There's a bunch of great fight scenes in this movie but I think the first one is the best because of the reveal of all the great characters. A real fist-pumping moment.

These are both really good I love Kung Fu Hustle.

My favorite Donnie Yen fight though will always be vs Sammo in SPL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ruXnuLtkk

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I thought Manhunt was pretty good. Nothing amazing and of course a far cry from Woo's better films, but still a fun time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

While we're on Woo, has anyone done anything like his Red Cliff movies worth watching? I was rewatching them the other night, and I've been playing a lot of Total War, I'm in the mood for some cool battle scenes. I know there's a lot of Three Kingdoms movies, but most of them are long, and, due to Sturgeon's law, will be bad.

What is it specifically you are looking for more of? More Three Kingdoms set films? Just historical epics with good fights, or something really long that focuses on just one or two battles like that one?

The first thing one that comes to mind is Chang Cheh's The Heroic Ones. A few centuries later, but still historical and the action is really good. Also probably a good idea for any serious Woo fans to check out Chang, he was a huge influence. The version on amazon is unfortunately English dubbed only, but there is a blu-ray out with the original audio.

A little further off, but I'd say maybe just in the same ballpark if you want an epic with sweet fights (and some good song and dance) are the two Baahubali films. Very fun historical fantasy with some very large and spectacular battles. Lots of CG effects which aren't quite Hollywood level in looks but I love what was done with them.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Windtalkers is definitely underrated and a good war movie that more people should watch.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The big battle in the middle of Ran is pretty chaotic. Also has a shot that I think is directly referenced in the opening of Saving Private Ryan. Or maybe it came from somewhere else I’m not especially well versed in shots of soldiers holding their own severed limbs

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Yeah keeping it to music also really emphasized how nightmarish it all was. It’s terrifying. And there seemed to be way more soldiers there than we were told there should be. That battle is so good

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

SPL aka Kill Zone 1 & 2

The third SPL film, Paradox will be out on US blu-ray next week. Not enough Tony Jaa but it's still real good and Louis Koo does very well for not being a fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raF9-6wFXIg

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I didn't watch Bullet in the Head for many years because Chow Yun Fat wasn't in it.

It's a powerhouse Woo film made at the height of his talent and featuring many other great HK actors. Don't be stupid like me.

No Chow Yun-fat, but Bullet in the Head still has a slightly better cast than A Better Tomorrow III imo. Simon Yam has never been as cool as he was in that movie.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Narzack posted:

A Better Tommorow 3 isn't even a Woo film, is it?

No, but Bullet in the Head was basically Woo's version of A Better Tomorrow III after he and Tsui Hark split over A Better Tomorrow II

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Huh. That explains a lot.

Yeah, it's pretty clear watching them that both writers were working on it together, then split and took it their own ways. Like how Simon Yam and Anita Mui are both playing pretty much the same character. Both movies are fantastic and imo on par with the first A Better Tomorrow. It's clear some poo poo went down in the making of A Better Tomorrow II, but I still think it's decent and the action at the end makes up for most of its earlier problems.

The 2010 South Korean remake of the first film is bland and boring. A Better Tomorrow 2018 is just bad.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 30, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manhunt (which is up on Netflix now) already felt like John Woo doing John Woo's greatest hits, I'm not sure a remake is really what I want from him right now. I'll probably still go see it opening night though.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I haven’t seen the us bluray so I don’t know how bad the sped up sound is I’d say just get whatever dvd is cheapest knowing there’s no great option. The home video situation with his Hong Kong movies is really sad.

I’m just generally wary when it comes to remakes hopefully he does something interesting with it. Lupita Nyong’o is definitely a very exciting actress for the role. And I still need to see The Crossing but Red Cliff was awesome and Manhunt solid so Woo has been good lately imo.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I thought Adkins was pretty good at being somewhat funny in Accident Man even though the writing was way too tryhard edgy bad Guy Ritchie imitation.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

but with so few decent action movies coming out nowadays

What is this nonsense? In 2017 I saw Baahubali 2, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, The Villainess, Blade of the Immortal, Atomic Blonde, Paradox, John Wick 2, The Last Jedi, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Logan, Manhunt, Wolf Warrior 2, Baby Driver, Savage Dog, Fate of the Furious, Ghost in the Shell. That's a lot of action and I enjoyed almost all of them.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

People itt definitely need to check out Baahubali and the sequel(Netflix). Don't go in expecting The Raid or anything but if you can handle some typical Bollywood stuff you'll get some of the most baffling and ridiculous action scenes ever put to film.

Baahubali is the best superhero spectacle type action movie and the song and dance bits are great. The CG isn't Hollywood-level quality but what they do with it is amazing and much more imaginative. It was very disappointing hearing about it just a bit too late to catch it in the theater. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the original Telugu audio, I think the Tamil dub is supposed to be closest.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 17, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly really like the way Zack Snyder does it, where it slows down for particularly cool "poses" and speeds through the rest of the action to keep the time spent the same

Baahubali does this, but in a movie that is actually good

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

He was in this just last year if you want to watch him fight Jack Ma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfS9Uf5SKu8

and he looks to be doing alright in this short bts bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utCdVa1ki6U

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I'm not an Adkins or dtv action expert but I thought Savage Dog was pretty good.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

After all this Adkins talk I decided to watch Incoming last night. Not very good I regret both the time and money spent.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Same thing happened to with Close Range(although I didn't spend money on it). Unfortunately the guy seems to have been involved with a lot of extremely low budget productions and without doing some research it's a crap shoot as to which ones are actually decent and which are too amateurish to be enjoyable.

Like, the dude can do some amazingly athletic stuff and I love to watch one of his ridiculous spin kicks connect with some poor mook, but there's a line where the super low budget really does start to drag everything down.

I was in the mood for a no-budget fun action movie and the 'ISS is a space prison now and there's a breakout' premise sounded fun. Not enough action to even really justify having Adkins in the movie I think there was only maybe one or two spin kicks in the whole thing. But they did cast him correctly as a real rear end in a top hat who gets to yell 'Don't gently caress with America' at one point.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

What about The Debt Collector? I read the positive review that someone linked to a few pages back but I don't recall if anyone in the thread actually watched it.

I had an Amazon video credit so I watched it Friday. Liked it a little less than Accident Man but it was still quite fun, pretty good performance from Adkins. $5 is pretty expensive for the rental though, so maybe best when it can be seen a little cheaper.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Tell me about Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive movies? Yes, watch or no, avoid?

Yes watch them the first two are very good. I liked the third less but it was still worth watching. If you get bored in the middle of the first one just push through the end is worth it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

MrBling posted:

I have fond memories of John Carpenter's Vampires being a fun sort of cowboy vampire movie but it has been an awful long time since I watched it.

I watched Vampires recently and didn't find it fun at all. It had some good moments but so much of the movie is just James Woods being super lovely to Sheryl Lee and it's hard to watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Sheryl Lee's performance is a big reason to watch the movie though. It's crazy how little opportunity she had for good roles, considering she gives one of the all time best I've ever seen in Fire Walk With Me(which was deserving of an Oscar nom).

I guess her career never really took off because of how wrong everyone was about Fire Walk With Me when it came out? It's so sad, she should have been one of the very best of her generation.

It's not that I think she didn't give a good performance in Vampires, and it might be that I had just finished Twin Peaks: The Return when I watched it and the lead being piece of human poo poo James Woods, but I just think the movie as a whole was especially cruel to her character and put her through quite a bit more abuse than necessary.