Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm watching Ladyhawke and the music is so bad, you guys. It sounds like it should be in a fast food training video.

Remember, studios wanted Star Wars to have a disco soundtrack and Conan the Barbarian to have a rock soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Edgar Wright talks with Jackie Chan

http://www.talkhouse.com/edgar-wright-baby-driver-talks-with-jackie-chan-for-the-talkhouse-podcast/#.Wd9y_jQBHI8.twitter

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Historical question: I just rewatched Commando, and I gotta know; what’s the first action movie of this breed? The genesis of what everyone mocks in 80s action movies? Commando’s the earliest I can think of, but there’s gotta be at least a couple before it.

You could probably throw in things like Death Wish and the Dirty Harry films too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McSpanky posted:

And let's not forget his previous phase of "I'm a REAL LIFE BADASS, see?!" where he rode with some LA parish sheriff's department and had a lovely reality show about it.

Ah yes, the reality show where he had "justice vision"

muscles like this! posted:

Just a head's up, Seagal has also "written" a book.

I'm in the middle of reading it now.

Are you going to do a "Let's Read" in The Book Barn?

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 24, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fart City posted:

Every single element of this cover is hilarious.

Every.

Single.

Part.

I'm particularly fond of the slimming photoshop job done on old Steven

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Unless you count Raiders, I have to agree.

Die Hard is Action, Raiders is Adventure.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Goonies is a fun adventure film

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Payndz posted:

I now can't read the name Wild Wild West without mentally prefixing it with "a wicky wicky". God drat you, Will Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aleKfM_AA&t=0m16s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched it because at least 5 or so people I met my freshman year of college said it was one of the best movies ever made, and it’s since been a guidepost to who to distrust.

This, but with Fight Club.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm reminded of something I'm not keen on: dvds that make old movies look like direct-to-video movies from 2007. I will give you some examples:

I think the reasoning is studios fear that with original poster artwork is that consumers will see it as "Old" and not want to buy it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember once my friend and I, looking for a bad film to rent, picked up one with a painted cover. It was obvious that the artist had just copied Arnold from a Conan film (right down to him holding the Atlantean sword), and when we popped it in, it turned out to be some 60s Roman legionnaire film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

My parents were oddly prudish about certain things, and they forbade me from renting a lot of horror movies with really good box art. This was a blessing in disguise; they were almost universally complete poo poo. I mean, I missed Sleepaway Camp and some so-bad-it's-good stuff, but I also missed Dracula vs. Frankenstein.

I swear, the one at my local video store was a plastic box with an embossed cover. It ruled. This is what the film looks like:

The company that released the video is called "World's Worst Videos", so at least they can't be accused of false advertising

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Executive Decision is a better Die Hard on a Plane than Air Force One

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I feel like Daylights is too grounded and stone-faced to be a Moore holdover. It very much feels like the Bond series trying Le Carre or Ludlum's style on for size, whereas License to Kill is a straight-up 80s action movie shoved into the Bond franchise unceremoniously.

They're both good movies and both absolute oddities in the series.

Daylights has Bond escaping down a mountain in a cello case. Don't recall George Smiley ever doing that

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's like the one really goofy bit in the entire movie, though, which makes it remarkably low-key for Bond.

Escaping through the pipeline was goofy too. And the killer milkman.

Love "The Living Daylights"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I liked Seagal as an enjoyable trash-tier action star through Under Siege doing gross arm snaps and poo poo. But he kept getting fatter and giving less of a poo poo about anything, and of course was always a huge rear end in a top hat IRL.

e: I love the :pwn: facial expressions he pulls in almost all the screen shots here.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Above_the_Law

Please also note the thinning hair line.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Woo had a whole boat chase on the bayou planned for Hard Target, then ended up getting dropped because Van Damme said "nah, I want to ride a horse instead"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe there was like two pages of classic pre-nutso(er) Seagal discussion and nobody brought up Hard to Kill, the movie that features a resplendently bearded Seagal outmaneuvering his assassins by rowing his coma bed around a hospital with a mop.

MASON STORM

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Could you imagine them trying to make that film today, with Seagal's ego?

Director: "Ok, you're character is shot several times, and is presumed dead, but is actually in a coma."
Seagal: "Shot? No, my mystic training will not allow me to be shot. So instead, I'll dodge all the bullets, but make it look like I was shot, then pretend to be in a coma."
Director (sighing): "Whatever."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

You just made me realize I've actually never seen Eraser, is that worth correcting or is it crap?

I fell ill while seeing it in theaters (not because of the film, mind you), and had to leave 3/4 of the way through, and have never gone back to finish it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

People mentioning Snake Eater in an action movie thread and no one bringing up the Lorenzo Lamas DTV series about a cop/special forces guy adept in guerilla warfare who sees the city as "just another jungle?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3G3ZVg99NU

I remember seeing one of the sequels on TV, and the thing that stuck out the most is in a scene with an ambulance, the ambulance was literally a white van with "AMBULANCE" stenciled on the side

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Adkins is this generation's Gary Daniels

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So John Wick 3 makes him Number 6 in The Village?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I literally finished watching McBain about an hour ago and it is pretty amazing.

There's another movie from around the same time called Bulletproof in which Gary Busey plays a character who's also called McBain. I'm pretty sure it happened because Gary Busey was in Lethal Weapon and they decided to capitalise by putting him in a cowboy cop vs the drug dealers action movie.

It is on my list.

Is Bulletproof the one with the super tank?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not just a super tank, it's "Prototype tank codenamed: THUNDERBLAST."

Okay, so the obvious question is: Why wasn't this movie called THUNDERBLAST!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What do people think of the trailers for Hotel Artemis?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

.... wait am I reading that right? Like, the guy from The League?

:wtc:

GODDAMN RIGHT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Check this very page, heh heh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's the curse of Logan Marshall-Green's career, very few people even know he exists because he's a Tom Hardy doppelganger.

He's the dude from Prometheus and The Invitation.

Oh please, I seriously doubt he looks that much like-

*Googles Logan Marshall-Green*

Holy loving poo poo, that's Tom Hardy!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I say Nightmare counts, and you could count several other slasher series where the villain, at least, is played by the same actor for many sequels because it's not like Robert Englund, Doug Bradley, and Angus Scrimm were getting tons of other work.

Not to mention the Trancers series.

Don Coscarelli wrote and helmed all the Phantasm films (minus the last,which he was still involved in.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's heart-warming that he was able to do that but also a bit depressing because you can see as the series goes on how much difficulty they must have had getting a decent budget together. Phantasm II is like a legit movie with a budget of several million(not bad for 1988), by Phantasm IV it was down to less than a million(even worse than it sounds because by then we're talking about 1998 money).

I have a soft spot in my heart for 4. I love the-pre Tall Man, Morningstar, and just the way Scrimm plays him. Such a kind hearted character and you really got to see Scrimm's range.

I also love the shot of where Morningstar steps into the portal, and immediately The Tall Man steps out. Such a disorienting chain. Not even a few seconds go by.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrBling posted:

This is still the best thing about that movie.

And also Nash pointing out that stunt work is both harder an easier than wrestling. Easier because you only have to worry about a few camera angles, harder because you can't actually just punch the other guy to make it look good.

Also when the director told Nash to follow Jane through the hole in the wall, but the crew hadn't made the hole big enough, so Nash just broke the wall himself to fit.

And when Rebecca Romijn was stitching up Jane, she actually did sew into him several times.

McSpanky posted:

I think it got unfairly dunked on by fanboys who didn't get the 100-minute X-rated bloodletting they were expecting (and like some other internet-savaged cape flicks, actually got a pretty faithful adaptation that they theoretically really wanted instead). The movie has a great macabre sense of humor, as in the aforementioned fight sequence, Frank bringing a knife to a gun fight, the blowtorch interrogation and Travolta's completely ridiculous final farewell.

The blow torch scene, which I saw fans complaining about because "Frank would've really tortured that guy" was directly lifted from a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Not really; he had done Alias already