Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This review is the most perfect review ever written. The movie sounds like it's exactly like I thought it'd be from watching those trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like Executive Decision but holy gently caress, did they waste David Suchet's talent as a generic terrorist. The man was the best Hercule Poirot and has some serious acting chops.

Though he did have quite the intimidating presence in the film so at least he did the best he could with what material he had.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I liked Tak Sakaguchi's quick, brutal style in RE:BORN so I took a look at his filmography; I didn't realise he's been in a lot of the mid-00's 'splatter gore' genre that came out of Japan. I picked one I hadn't seen before - YAKUZA WEAPON - and was quite thoroughly amused. As a manga adaptation I was expecting some silliness but it was exceptionally ridiculous - the fistfight scenes themselves were a little roughly lit and shot, and the whole move has a cheap DTV feel, but if you want to see an insane yakuza have his dead sister turned into a nude cyborg who shoots a machinegun from her mouth and rockets from elsewhere, this may well be the film you have been searching for.

Versus is still an all-time great. Wasn't a fan of the new scenes (added years after the fact) but the original is fantastic shlock.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

The dude with the butterfly knife in Versus is one of my favorite action movie performances. Just a pure living cartoon character.

If you want to see what 110% in shlock gets you, it's that performance. It's amazing. In fact, the entire cast is pretty fantastic. Don't forget the Weasely guy who screams "It's not my fault" for about half the film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wasn't an early version of that film where he was fighting neo-nazis or something?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If they make another one they should bring back Micheal Biehn because gently caress it why not.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can agree with that. I thought the first one was OK but boy it had some Canon-levels of nationalism in it. They all kind of have that tint to it but the subject matter, in my opinion, in 2 and 3 aren't as dark or heavy. They came off as sillier in those two films so I enjoyed them more because of it. I've not seen 4, though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1356949869487927298

E-excuse me?!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just cast Dan Stevens in one of the roles and make it a shadow sequel to The Guest. It'd be perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/HighDefDiscNews/status/1368756094873534464

This looks really good. I'm weak for really good steel case editions.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are they just all shots of Chow Yun Fat being the coolest dude to ever live? Because that's like top 500 favorite John Woo moments right there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Chow Yun-Fat functionally retired at this point? Been a while since he was in something. I know he came out in favor of the HK protests so he's pretty much blacklisted in the Beijing film industry (this is why he's a legend).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Electronico6 posted:

His last movie was in 2018, and he's still attached to do Cold War 3.(Though who knows when that is happening, if at all) The problem is less with Chow and more with the Hong Kong film industry being in a suspended state since 2019, first with the protests, then with Covid, now with the new censor guidelines.

Chow's been blacklisted for a long time, even before the 2019 protests, but he has a type of fame and popularity with Chinese audiences that means he just stays around making weird CGI gambling movies that make all the money, people just don't care what he says or who he supports.Also unlike the Fan Bingbings and Zhao Wei's, Chow Yun Fat doesn't seem to be interested in engaging in massive tax fraud schemes, so there's not much the Party can do other than shadowban him from mainland only productions.

Ah, I did not know that (that he was blacklisted for a long time). I figured the protests would hit the film industry but not to that extent. But yeah, thinking on it, that sure is a hell of a one-two hit on the HK film industry.

What are these new censor guidelines?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That film always seemed like an art house experiment. I bet it's more fun to to watch that film and figure out the choreography than it is to watch it. I heard the final duel, where there's actual editing, was super good though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chow Yun-Fat would be a perfect addition to the Wick franchise. He was the first and best of the cool gunslingers.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The second Drunken Master film is probably my top, but it's really hard to choose. Just about his entire catalogue from the late 70's to the early 00's are filled with so many gems or diamonds in the rough that you'll be thoroughly entertained by them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish there was an easy way to get Dragons Forever in the US. There's a place in the UK who put it out on blu-ray but those are region-locked.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I dunno. It's kinda refreshing that he wasn't a member of the government or a cop. This sort of story is usually reserved for copaganda films. But yeah, I thought it was a servicable mid of a film. I think they should have had more stylish action since they had Statham on board. Didn't have to be balls-to-the-wall constant action but what was there should have been spectacular to make up for the kinda meh story.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

3 felt like "Wheels Spinning: The Movie" and didn't really know what they wanted to do with John, so they just had him go from set-piece to set-piece annihilating people. His entire arc is coming to realize that the system he once inhabited and thrived in sucked poo poo, which is a good arc but they could have done more interesting stuff with his character - going to places of his past to allude and lore dump things on him isn't that interesting. I like that world quite a bit but it's kinda putting lore over story right now but 4 looks like it might make good on 3's meandering setup.

Love all the films, by the way. But

perfectly sums them up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Princess was really fun. A great Die Hard-like film and you could tell everyone was having a great time making it. They did a lot with what budget they had.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gun kata is great. No need for bulletproof suits when you can just avoid the bullets altogether with martial arts!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Raging Fire has some really great action! It's also some of the worst copaganda I've ever seen in my life. Even the most MAGA, blue line-rear end bootlicker would watch this film and go "woah, hey, tone down the police brutality". Awful awful politics.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This six-shot revolver has over a 200 round capacity!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shotguns not only take out the enemy but the wall behind and around them.

Goddamn, Hard Boiled was really good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's one thing I miss from the 80's - the load up scenes. And it's not just regular guns, oh no, they're these weird experimental ones that never saw mass production because they were worthless garbage but were chosen because they look cool. If they were regular guns they slapped on some attachments to it.

Such horrible gun-nut trash but I love it. I'll feast on that slop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On the subject of Netflix shows, it's by no means an action show (far from it, actually) but Copenhagen Cowboy had some really spectacular actions scenes. Not so much for the editing but the choreography was superbly done. It was all very clear, each participate had a profile you could identify and exchanged blows in really grounded ways. Not realistic but it was just sloppy enough that it didn't feel artificial. There's only a couple of them but they were surprisingly to me, considering the rest of the show.

Weird show overall but I found it to my liking. Super slow with lots of panning shots. Makes the third season of Twin Peaks feel like it had breakneck pacing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A modern Seagal movie did give us this incredible clip which shall evermore live rent-free in my mind. It is art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evd5aWcg0Hc

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lighting, staging and blocking have taken a nose-dive in recent years. Nothing but green screen and volume. Very little in way of practical sets and if there are the lighting still sucks, especially for night shots. It's just flat grey mess. The perfect example staging and blocking is you need not look further than two mediocre films: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny. Watch them as a double feature, if you hate yourself, and just see how big a difference those techniques make, especially in action. It's the only time I'd say go watch those two films.

As for lighting, I understand that it's a ton harder to light shots, for day or night, and if you wait for magic hour you have a very, very tight window to get your shots but drat doesn't that hard work show. Like I saw Mad Max 2 again recently and was floored at how gorgeous it looked. Look at this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRanbAgyOWA&t=131s
(the shot in question is even in the thumbnail, I linked it to the sequence in question but the whole clip is worth watching, heck the whole film is, even in a post-Fury Road world)

You won't find shots like that often, or at all, in modern blockbusters. chef kiss

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's just what happens when you shoot on location. I'm surprised netflix gave them the budget to build actual sets in Rebel Moon. Glad they did because they all look great.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Very cool! I'm not gonna rate them head to head in quality, but I notice on Letterboxd Tony is winning for me in quantity! I've seen 10 Ridley, 11 Tony. How about that. True Romance is one of my top fav movies. I'm fond of Blade Runner for sure. Cool dudes.

Should I see Days of Thunder and Domino?

Days of Thunder is a comfort movie for me. It does that thing where the film starts out with two people disliking each other then they become friends. It's a film about racing where the racing isn't the most important aspect of it. Tom Cruise and Robert Duvall have insanely good chemistry and their characters' relationship is central to the whole movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Road House is the epitome of action movies, fight scenes, and filmmaking in general.

The genre needs more warrior-poets. But Patrick Swayze was a one-of-a-kind pick this genre. He sold that sort of character perfectly.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You had to be there. Industrial spots like that had the highest level of violent crimes in the 90s. Katana battles, shootouts, fights with chainsaws... it was off the rails. It took hardboiled cops, weapons akimbo, to defeat the villains there. Now they just do their villainy in suave white collar areas like office building lobbies and neon nightclubs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

Oh poo poo! I finally caught Versus and didn't like it all that much, but I see that One-Percent Warrior (search for that on hoopla, but for one-percenter on justwatch), Bad City and Hydra are all on hoopla. Time for a marathon.

Ah, that's a bummer. I love Versus. It's such a really dumb good time. It's indie as heck and so over the top.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Saw the new Road House. I enjoyed it but it's not without its flaws. I'm still kinda processing my thoughts on it but I honestly didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. It pales in comparison to the original but I didn't think it was a car wreck or anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They smartly make Dalton a different sort of character. Swayze plays him as a warrior-poet with a worldview that keeps him cool and detached on the job. "It's just a job" is what he says to the bouncers when he gets to the Double Deuce and that's all the place and town are to him. He only fights when things escalate to the point where reason is no longer an option. When he does fight he does just enough so they can throw the rowdy folks out the door. This whole worldview he built up around himself crumbles when people he cares about start getting hurt or dying and the town he adopted starts getting burned down. Then you see him as he could be: tearing out throats and icing goons like it was easy as breathing. "No one wins in a fight" is just a motto for a job, but it doesn't apply outside that job. There are winners in losers in conflict and while it is a failure of diplomacy when a fight breaks out sometimes force needs to be met with greater force. The villain of the original showed us through the entire film that this was always going to be the case.

New film spoilers: Dalton in this film isn't a consummate profession nor a warrior-poet. He's a berserker. He put up all these walls around him and de-escalates not because he's a professional but because he's afraid of letting the beast out. He uses necessary and precise force to end fights before they begin. But as elements start showing up where he can't do that, cracks begin to form in that wall until towards the end where it crumbles. He, like the original's Dalton, can kill as easy as breathing but unlike the original, he's not in control of that violence. He uses "No one wins a fight" in this film but it has a different meaning. It's general concept of the film. Unlike the original, things don't escalate because Dalton is there except maybe in the double deuce. However in the new film things escalate because Dalton is there. He fought back and people around him start getting hurt and their establishments trashed even harder. In the end, the villains are defeated and those affected can rebuild everything but no one really won. It was all bittersweet.

It's also why Dalton moves on instead of moves in. He left with what he came to town with except with a few extra bucks an a lot more scars. The biggest failing of the film, for me, was Conor McGregor's character. In the original, Marshal Teague's character is a dark reflection of Dalton. A consummate profession with a worldview that keeps him violent and angry. He enjoys the violence while keeping it to the job. That guy's worldview cracks when he decides to stick around and try to kill Dalton then gets his throat ripped out for the effort. McGregor's character, Knox, is too over-the-top. He has no worldview. He's just chaos with no humanity, so you can't grasp where he comes from. He's not a dark reflection of Dalton because Dalton isn't an over-the-top psycho - when Dalton loses control he doesn't go on a rampage, he just does what he did before only instead of hurting to de-escalate he just ices people. McGregor's character would have worked better if he were more like Dalton and did have to get pushed to do the ultra violence, then he'd work better. You could still keep the over-the-top chaos violence but you'd see the character before they get to that point, much like you see Dalton before he lets the beast out. They should have combined his character with Billy Magnussen's Brandt. His character gets pushed really hard in this film by Dalton but it's established that his goons come up with the idea to do all the violence and destruction and McGregor's character is called in by his father whom we never see and only hear from a phone speaker for a moment. It would have worked a whole lot better.

Still, I think a lot of folks here may like the new film, even those who thought the trailer looked bad. Definitely differentiates itself from the original enough to justify its existence.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gotta start from the first. Them's the rules. You need to see the entire arc of FAMILY in order to appreciate it all.

(Yeah 5 is considered peak and 6 is really good too. I liked 7 a lot but from there onwards opinions start to get divided)