Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lionheart isn't one of Van Damme's best movies, but it's not bad either. After the opening scene you'd think the plot would be the thinnest possible to get a revenge story going, but it's not even that - at least half of the movie he spends just getting to his brother's widow and in the meantime is convinced to drop his idea. However that's more than enough to set up opportunities for JCVD to kick and punch a lot of people in the face (and balls), mostly in a series of illegal street fights. Definitely recommended if you're looking for a straightforward fight movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ego-bot posted:

What did everyone think of Hardcore Henry? I loved it, but it seems like it's a pretty divisive movie. I'd put it up there with Mad Max 4, The Raids, John Wicks and Dredd as best action movies of the past few years.

edit: well that's one answer
Sadly it didn't quite work for me. There's definitely a lot of cool stuff but overall I thought the FPV gimmick made it worse, not better. Half of the time you don't even see what the gently caress is going on, either due to the enormous motion blur or by the Henry's vision being (partially) obscured by something or just being in a bad position.

It tried very hard to be Crank 3DFPV what with the premise, nonstop action and ridiculous villains but somehow was more incomprehensible and took itself too seriously. Chev provided a lot of character to the movies too, and here not only is the protagonist basically Gordon Freeman, there's hardly anyone else to care about too. There was this weird English guy but that's about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did the movies prepare you for the long and bloody journey of revenge?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BioTech posted:

Regeneration is actually crazy good and way better than Day of Judgment. I have no idea how after the terrible Universal Soldier sequels this one happened and can understand why not many people saw it, but it it seriously good. Bit too much of the ground & pound stuff for my taste if I remember correctly, but there is a really cool long take of Van Damme clearing out a building and seeing how broken Deveraux is even after decades of therapy only to be asked to throw it all aside was way more effective than it should have been in a low budget movie like this. The not too surprising guest appearance was also really well done.
Regeneration is the only one of the US sequels that I've seen but I absolutely agree that it's pretty drat good. The long take is awesome and there are some other great fights, and yeah, the psychological aspect is above and beyond what could've been expected from a DTV sequel to a cheesy 2nd grade 90s franchise.

This actually reminds me of the awesome one take opening sequence in JCVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyl_CnTNMI. As good as the rest of that movie was, I wish it went instead fully in this direction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't watched Kill Zone 2 yet, but the first one is great. Just the right combination of tragic backstory, police cliches, and kicking rear end. Thanks to whoever first recommended it, I had no idea it even existed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Actually the first one kind of does that as well, starting with the crash and then going back to show how it happened. It's not a big deal since it only goes back like 5 minutes but also mostly unnecessary.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, I had no idea. Red Cliff did nothing for me unfortunately, but I still trust that The Master can deliver something kickass in the correct crime action genre. Pretty pumped now!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got tickets to see the new John Woo at TIFF. I'm pretty excited, but I'll be seeing it a week after its first showing because those first few screenings sold out by the time the tickets went on public sale.
Super jelly, I can't even find any word of a local premiere date here :mad:

At least John Wick Ch.2 turned out to be great. Maybe not as great as 1 but it's loving John Wick so I'm not complaining, it's the exact kind of action flick I need to watch every once in a while to satisfy my bloodthirst.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BioTech posted:

It was impressive how long it managed to keep a single shootout between just half a dozen people interesting, but unfortunately the movie was still too long to keep it up all the way through.
I don't regret seeing it, Arnie Hammer's smug rear end in a top hat was the best.
I think I literally fell asleep at some point towards the end of that one. It is impressive how long they kept it going, but still not quite enough to make the premise work with those characters in one location.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't even heard of it until now but the reviews seem to indicate that it's poo poo. Why are you doing this to me, Arnie?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kind of mixed on The Villainess, it's fun enough but the middle parts definitely drag on and aren't very interesting, and some of the action also feels too fake and detached like many movies are suffering nowadays. A simple example is the car jump - there are like 10 cuts so instead of having the car fly across you don't see poo poo. Not a huge fan of the FPV gimmick either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's been years but Timecop is pretty drat fun, almost as good as Hard Target on my JCVD scale.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FancyMike posted:

I'm here to report that A Better Tomorrow 2018 is bad there's nothing in it to like don't watch.
That sucks to hear but without any of the original crew involved, I didn't really expect anything else.

Luckily The Foreigner (I guess they didn't want to call it "The Chinaman" after the novel) fares a bit better think, and is pretty decent to good depending on how much rear end Jackie is kicking at the moment. It's more than a bit ridiculous and relies on the ever popular "father saves/avenges daughter" to motivate the character but I won't complain too much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

It's ok, I was a bit underwhelmed. Jackie and Brosnan are great, for me it was a script issue. It's set up like a typical revenge story, something happens at the beginning and Jackie wants revenge for it. But Brosnan's character is really not involved at all. He's wrapped up in this thing against his will and really had nothing to do with the death of Jackie's daughter. Didn't know about it, didn't order it, and was 100% against it as soon as he found out about it. He knows the people involved from a past life like 20+ years ago when he was active with the IRA, that's his only connection.

So when Jackie eventually tracks the guys down, it feels like an afterthought and it's over extremely quickly(and awesomely).

He's not completely uninvolved though, it does seem like he wanted to blow up some banks without casualties to make a stronger case for his pardon demands and political career.. Still, it's kind of weak, I agree.

E: Transporter 1/2 is cool and good, there are a few car chases but Statham mostly just kicks people in the fac.e

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen the new Kickboxer (not to be confused with Kickfighter) movie yet? It seems to be getting a some positive early reviews so far, but sadly I don't think it's going to be showing it around here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Commando, I'm pretty sure. Face/off sets everything up in the first scene.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are only a couple of fights and shootouts but in this day and age I'd definitely say that Brawl in Cell Block 99 classifies, and is very, very good. It's basically a more serious, grittier Ricky-Oh, i.e. a prison exploitation flick with brawling instead of kung fu. Vince Vaughn looks legit scary as hell as a guy who's forced back into running drugs, though I'm not entirely sure he sells his dadbod as an in-shape fighter. Obviously things go bad and he's locked up and forced by the bad guys to kill some dude in another prison to save his kidnapped wife.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Johnnie To as well, I guess? I think you got almost everyone, as you say there aren't many genre directors that come to mind.

I watched the original Kickboxer yesterday and it was kind of a disappointment. I din't expect miracles obviously but I loved Bloodsport and this felt way weaker, probably because it's a more cliche revenge quest instead of the ridiculous kumite setup, and less runtime is spent on JCVD kicking people in the face in favor of a extended training montages. The fights that were there also didn't feel as good as the ones in Bloodsport, although it's been a while since I watched that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and I thought so too but ended up liking it less than I expected. It's been a while since I watched it and I remember almost falling asleep at points so this isn't very precise critique or anything. I just didn't like any of the characters and the firefight which I think entirely takes place in one warehouse just gets tedious after a while. It was all shot reverse shot but with guns, with none of the cool of a John Woo or Michael Mann movie so by the end I just couldn't care less.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I'm keen on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys and I enjoyed Frago and Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski (it was actually a "Customers Also Bought" notification on Amazon that brought Free Fire to my attention :v:).
Having seen all of those movies, the difference is that they are very good :v:

Nah I mean Free Fire isn't terrible or anything so give it a try if you feel like it's something you might like. Just personally it didn't work as either an action film or even comedy in the sense of those movies you mention, but YMMV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is absolutely depressing, grinding and nihilistic, but I disagree that it hates the audience and its main character. Definitely skip it if you can't put up with over two hours of the movie adding more and more weight to Vince Vaughn until it crushes him.

Bone Tomahawk is the happy-go-lucky S. Craig Zahler movie.
Agreed, it's not for everyone but I already praised that movie ITT and will stand by it. It's exactly what you can expect from a prison exploitation flick, and while the treatment of the woman (or woman? there might've been a guard...) could be considered problematic, I don't think it detracts from the movie as such if you're into the genre.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the opening long take of JCVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyl_CnTNMI

It manages to simultaneously parody straight to dvd movies while being a legit cool action sequence.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In either case, we're not watching a fight training video but a movie, and being able to see everything clearly is almost always better (see Jackie Chan fights).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That or you could just watch Jackie Chan: My Stunts on repeat.
And holy poo poo that's a very 90s intro, despite coming out the same year as the Matrix. Thanks for bringing it up though, I've never heard of it somehow.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That sequence about editing the two shots together to show the impact of the elbow is my everything.
Yeah the whole video is absolutely spot on as to what makes most moder action scenes suck, it's a shame they stopped making them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm actually just rewatching Hard Target right now. Haven't got to the bit where he catches a rattlesnake, punches it out, then pulls off its rattle with his teeth.
Hard Target is just such a fun movie.

Speaking of Van Damme, the new Kickboxer movie is pretty rad. I'm not a huge fan of the particular sub-genre or anything, but they managed to bring useless poo poo like plot and dialog to a minimum and focus on what's really important: punching dudes in the face. The first fight starts two minutes into the movie and the main character is beating up like 50 Thai dudes in no time. There's a bit too much slo-mo and/or choppy framerate at times for my taste, but in general it's pretty clear by modern standards. The final fight is pretty epic but if that's not enough, where else are you going to see a blind JCVD fight Mike Tyson?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

verdigris murder posted:

Den of Thieves had tons of potential.

But when the main star is obviously experiencing eating difficulties, having the main star surrounded by ripped dudes in the finale?
It's still pretty fun as a poor man's Heat. It's dumber and worse in pretty much every way but there's only so many times you can watch Heat, you know. I sometimes zone out during excessively long movies (like the recent comic book stuff) but this one kept my attention pretty well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownMercenary posted:

I really liked Manhunt even if it was basically Woo doing his greatest hits. I'm just glad he's doing his thing again so I am excited for this remake.
Just watched it myself, while all the non-shooty parts felt cheesier than normal and some of the acting was a bit sketchy, in particular with english dialogue (and supposedly Japanese too though I can't judge), the action mostly delivered and so it was pretty fun overall. I think only in the farmhouse shootout some of the editing felt a bit weird and we need more slow-motion rather than the choppy effect they used from time to time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey y'all, the new Revenge film is pretty dope! It's more on the... revenge exploitation flick side but there's a decent amount of brutal action going on considering that only three people get killed, and it's all very satisfying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like I've seen the first trailer years ago. I'd normally complain about milking the franchise but with so few decent action movies coming out nowadays, this is great news.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout is opening next week here, I'm fuckin ready for this.

In the meantime, has anyone seen Operation Red Sea? I have a suspicion it's gonna be very PRC propagandish, probably even more so than something like Wolf Warrior, which was fun enough but distracting at times due to all the :china:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some top tier Tom Cruise running in this one, goddamn!

It opened here just a few days ago so the theater was pretty much packed. Really really enjoyed this one, the tunnels shootout was a bit men, though I know what they were going for, but all the other action was great. Loved the bathroom fight. CGI was a bit noticeable I'm a few shots but it didn't bother me too much.

The plot was kind of meh but it served the purpose well enough. Wasn't there another movie where two nuclear bombs had to be defused at exactly the same time? I remember watching something like that very recently, gave me some serious déjà vu when they reveals the gimmick.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrBling posted:

Finally got a chance to watch Upgrade and boy was it a) a lot of fun and b) completely not what was I expecting.

A lot more future sci-fi stuff than expected, not that I mind. It had a kind of Deus Ex: Human Revolution feel in the setting.

The ending also wasn't what I thought was going to happen, but good on them for doing it.
Saw it last night too, was about to post pretty much the same comments down to the Deus Ex thing. I loved the ending it was a dream fakeout, definitely got me worried fora second. Pretty amazing how well it's made considering the budget too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CelticPredator posted:

Racism sucks more than rampage did hth
Does it suck more than Pearl Harbor though?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had to pause The Night Comes for Us about an hour in because... there was too much action? I dunno if I should just get out of the thread but it felt like int the first half maybe like 10 minutes didn't involve random mooks getting owned and it just kind of blends in all together after a while. Finished the second half and it was fun, but imo there's no reason it had to be two hours long, sometimes less is more.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Penpal posted:

My brother and I were talking about memorable explosions where it's just a single person blowing up, with deacon frost taking the top spot more than likely because of the quip following it. Smith imploding at the end of the Matrix was also mentioned. True Lies was decent, but it didn't really mesh with the "singular person exploding" we were going for, because the villain was fired into a group of people before exploding. There are probably countless examples of grenade pins being pulled as two people separate, with one person left realizing at the last moment what's up. But they don't really leave a lasting impression. Does anyone have any good examples?

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTaoheLMvM&t=1545s :siren:

(Turn up the volume for Rich Evans laugh)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Apropos of nothing, this is probably the main reason I never got into RLM. :v:
Like hard liquor, it's an squired taste. Which is something RLM guys are very familiar with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yea Triple Threat when I get home from work.

Fuckin :same:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I don't think it was the best thing ever, but too much story? There are like 10 minutes dedicated to plot in the whole movie so if anything, it was just poorly developed. I feel like if there was any more action, it'd turn into one of those comic book movies with endless punching that just gets boring eventually. The action itself was pretty good though I wish the finale wasn't all super dark so we could see what the hell is going on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I spent the last week binge-watching the Fast and the Furious series, after my best friend did the same and sent me enthusiastic e-mails with his impressions after each one.

I had only ever seen the first one back when it came out in 2001, and was unimpressed enough to not see any of the others. But after being intrigued by the trailer for the upcoming new one with The Rock and Jason Statham teaming up against a super-powered Idris Elba, we were all inspired to give the series a fair chance.

So even though my wife and I watched them out of order (1 --> 6 --> 7 --> 8 --> 2 --> 4 --> 5 --> 3), I would have to rank them as:

What does everyone else think of these? For the record, I think 6, 7, and 8 are fan-loving-tastic, up there with the best Mission Impossibles (another franchise I came late to, running through them in time to catch up with Fallout last summer). In fact, they are practically superhero team-up movies, with all kinds of comic booky stuff going on that appealed to me greatly.
Where did the first one touch you? I first saw it in theaters too and it was pretty dumb but I liked it enough in a cheesy b-movie way. IMO 2 and 4 are the worst, I can't even remember what the hell happened there. Tokyo Drift is fun but Fast Five is really when it gets properly good and still my favorite. Probably still my favorite of the bunch. 6 and 7 are good too, while 8 is a bit of step down.

I don't know what triggered it but yesterday I somehow realized that I haven't seen Aliens in its entirety and had to immediately fix. I only recognized a few scenes with the APC and Newt in the ducts from having seen bits and pieces on TV before, so it was pretty much all new to me. It's very good. The effects hold up pretty well for the most part, though you hardly actually see any of the xenomorphs, just like in the first one. It really takes it time to set everything up, there isn't really any action until almost 80 minutes in and even then it's dished out in small batches. There may be what, 15 minutes of shooting and fighting in total? But because all the characters are well set up you really feel the tension and excitement when poo poo hits the fan.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the Rock & Statham F&F thing and it was surprisingly pretty fun for a spin-off of a 20 year old franchise with with what, 9 different installments at this point? More ridiculous than all the previous films combined, sure, but the leads are unsurprising good and action pretty fun and appropriately over the top, but not so much that you start to some out.