Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I watched Wolf Warrior and had a lot of fun. It was interrsting seeing this kinda Cannon Films/Hollywood rah rah patriotic action movie propaganda but from a country that isnt the USA. It gets lower ratings from the people who looove it when it's an American nationalistic action film but think hating the movie is them making some kind of stand against the UNIQUE BRUTALITY of China.
At one point it implies the Chinese military has the ability to control the weather, a Chinese general just orders Some Unit to make it rain and it cuts to rain in the forest. No special beam hitting the clouds or anything. 🤣
Also it's interesting in that (despite finally getting down to one on one action hero versus villain stuff in the final act) a lot of the film depicts Chinese soldiers with numerical superiority fighting against only a few foreigners. The team of evil foreign mercs (working for a Chinese drug lord) is a lot like say, the elite team in Predator. They're all elite and deadly and it takes the full operation of the Chinese military and a lot of Chinese teamwork to counter this handful of elite villains. Scott Adkins is great as the leader of these foreign mercs, and deadly as hell.
There's some horrible cgi wolves but i thought it added to the charm, it's an entertaining 90 minutes. Probably not gonna see the sequel though, not down for 124 minutes of this poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh so it does manage to be a fun two hours? Im in

Also recently rewatched Haywire. So so good. Shame about Gina being a psycho. I could watch her murder a series of doomed dudes for about 8 hours. Where was Matt Damon?? Why didn't she murder Matt Damon? She could've beat Brad Pitt to death!
Watching her murder the gently caress out of James Bond is so amazing, just a series of great fights, and Ewan just running is always hilarious.

Also watched Above the Law/Righting Wrongs directed by Corey Yuen which might be my new favorite movie of all time. Nonstop incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePUp8Yi3zH4
Unfortunately Prime's copy had lovely subs that got earlier and earlier.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 8, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was remarkable and sad how lacking in charisma, humor, style, and energy Wrath of Man is compared to early Ritchie. Still, The Gentlemen was such stupid rear end bullshit (basically an extended edgy Matthew McConaughey car/liquor commercial while a 53 year old over the hill Ritchie goes OY MATE YA EVER HEARD OF WEED MARIJUANAS???) that I'm not sure which Late Stage Ritchie type of movie is less painful. Probably Wrath cuz I take bland over obnoxious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I still stand by MI3 as the best, just a fantastic standalone action film...mostly just cuz of PSH (RIP :() being amazing and imo the superior direction/structure of the plot and (as a whole it's got a stronger ensemble than the rest of the series to follow, until Cavill showed up really...including Lawrence Fishburne...Renner adding nothing). I like it as a bridge between the first two and the Late Fast & Furious vibe the series would later take on. I actually liked that 3 delved into dark melodrama and like, still pretended to have a plot. I get that all the cool REAL STUNTS that Tom Cruise would do make a lot of the sequels for people, but I'm not watching Jackass...I want cool real stunts AND a melodramatic plot with a well-acted villain (who isnt just SCANDINAVIANS WANT TO NUKE THE WORLD for the billionth time). The ones that just ended up being a blur of TOM CRUISE CLIMB BUILDING/PLANE IN FLIGHT, NOW WITH QUIPS!!!!! just didnt do it for me.
Honestly for my sensibilities the series didn't really start picking up again post-MI3 until Rogue Nation and Fallout.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
MI3 had a sense of menace & danger that was entirely cuz of Phillip Seymour Hoffman and was never really matched again. The newest one was a return to form for me just because it finally had dope villains again...dont get me wrong, Sean Harris is a good actor, but he really wasn't doing it for me carrying the lead villain role for so long (especially because, again, the whole ANARCHISTS WANT TO NUKE THE WORLD SO IT IS REBORN plotline was so tired for me)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I had a lot of fun with Fallout esp if you think a lil bit about the plot what's funny about the Cavill twist is that I guess it means this terrorist mastermind was also a complete dipshit who would have gotten himself immediately killed on his super secret operation because he decided it'd be badass to jump during a lightning storm. 🤣 Like, if Hunt doesn't get him in time I guess there's just no movie.

And yeah I love the first Jack Reacher. Surprisingly not that Tom Clancy-y like I feared, actually kinda cynical about the War on Terror....and any movie where Werner Herzog gives motivational speeches about cannibalism, Jai Courtney basically has no lines and gets beaten to death, and Robert Duvall is basically Zatoichi...well, that's a win.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 21, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is End of Days entertaining Arnold action or not really? Is it even a typical Arnold action film? Finally seeing his action movies, seen all the classics but I still appreciate his later 90s stuff like Eraser, The 6th Day, so I was wondering if it was at that level or a "don't even bother" ala Collateral Damage and all his 2000s stuff.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury finally and I had a lot of fun. Most of yall have probably seen it already but it's definitely a top 80s action shlock recommend. Surprisingly heartwarming with a more or less positive male rolemodel action star other than some aged jokes. Overall the sense of humor is fun and sometimes actually kinda clever. And of course you've got a final showdown at a ski resort. Feels like a real crowdpleaser, plenty of moments for movie theater hooting and hollering.
Could've used a bit more blood and hands getting lopped off, but it's fun and it's got a deep colorful cast of bad guys. Randall "Tex" Cobb makes a great cigar chomping baddie named SLAG (who goes out like Darth loving Maul), you got Sho Kasugi as a flippy evil assassin, and Nick Cassavetes + Rick Overton play a scene-stealing pair of redneck hired thugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNL3Gtjri54

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I never really got into John Wick and i just really cant express what doesnt click...i saw the first one, liked it okay, think i watched one other sequel, but for some reason they all pass thru me leaving no memory. Compared to say, Collateral, which I cherish and remember well.
I know it's a premier action franchise tho and I do sometimes look up some of the sequel fights and think "that looks cool but im still not watching this movie". Dunno what it is, I'll just force myself at some point.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I dont even think of Collateral as a an action movie really. Thriller yeah but I wouldn't consider it in the same genre as Wick
Yeah, I wouldnt either. I'm just associating movies with cool nightclub shootouts. It's a film of substance + action.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Everything said about john wick makes me finally realize why i treat the series like "i have no interest in seeing this movie but i will watch like, 7 minutes of the fight scenes"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh i dont hate it, i really like the 10 minutes of every john wick i watch on youtube

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How stupid do you mean by stupid, cuz yeah, i mean, RRR was...fairly stupid and silly but still awesome

Keep meaning to watch the Bāhubali movies...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
id give it a shot at this point based on the minority that thought it was okay...if it weren't 129 minutes, I mean jesus christ.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

I've been rewatching some old samurai favorites, and I have to say that Hideo Gosha may be the best action director of the 60s. Three Outlaw Samurai, Sword of the Beast, Tenchu, the Samurai Wolf movies are not only truly great movies (well maybe not the Samurai Wolf movies), but the action scenes in them are up there with anything Sam Peckinpah or Kenji Misumi did.
I've only seen Three Outlaw Samurai and Sword of the Beast, which I loved. Gotta get on more of his poo poo.

Also, as far as chanbara sort of stuff goes, I really liked Shinya Tsukamoto's (of Tetsuo fame) 2018 Killing. Not a ton of action scenes, though it does have a few good duels...but whenever anything samurai-related goes down he shoots the aftermath like it's loving Texas Chainsaw Massacre and it works so well. Also a refreshing take on the samurai genre where it's like "no, actually, taking someone's life just leaves you a traumatized hosed up zombie...it's not something that forges you into a 'hero' or 'man'."

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 3, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also Lady Snowblood is on HBOMax and it is fantastic. Definite recommend.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ghost Dog is definitely an all time fave of mine.

"You know, in ancient cultures, bears were considered equal with men."
"This ain't no ancient culture here, mister."
"Sometimes it is."

It's basically Forest Whitaker versus a bunch of 60-70 year old Italian Americans. That should be enough to sell you.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dogg they would need an army of Predators to take on Ram and Bheem (and I would be down as gently caress to watch that)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Jesus christ is the acting in Carter straight doodoo so far lol, even by action movie standards

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought The Princess was fun enough. Solid schlocky action. Gave me a chuckle and put a smile on my face a couple times.
Sure, it's videogame-y as gently caress, and the evil minions in it are about as useful as Putty people in Power Rangers (she sends them flying down stairs with Home Alone level antics) but if you go into it accepting that then you'll have fun.
It's funny how Lin's uncle leaves the final battle presumably to take a severely-wounded Lin to immediate medical attention, cuz like, otherwise he could have just helped the main character kill the villain in 2 minutes, but then Lin just shows up a couple minutes later just like I'M OK

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Majkol posted:

Someone in this thread recently recommended Killing (2018) by Shinya Tsukamoto and I want thank you for that, big fan of films about how being a samurai is actually completely inhuman and insane and you will lose everything.
Oh yeah that was me. Really good movie, with an appropriate depiction of the absolute dehumanizing effect and horrific carnage of being a samurai. I feel ridiculous for only starting to watch Shinya Tsukamoto's poo poo in the last year or so. Such a wild loving director. I think Arrow Player has like, all of his poo poo streaming rn.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched Dave Bautista's C-tier Die Hard in a soccer stadium, Final Score. I say C-tier, but it's still probably better than A Good Day to Die Hard. I'll never know for sure cuz I'll never see that movie. Bautista is definitely more fun and charismatic than a checked out Bruce Willis, and they did manage to get an evil goon that makes Bautista look small...but you're fine just watching that 2 minute kitchen fight which is pretty much anything anyone talks about of value when it comes to the film. And even then it's just like, okay.
You do get to see Pierce Brosnan and Ray Stevenson do bad Russian accents, I guess. Like a lot of schlocky films, it has some weird messaging if you think about it too hard (DO NOT DARE TO RESIST THE RUSSIAN STATE!! IF YOUR SEPARATIST REVOLUTION IS TOO VIOLENT BECAUSE OF THEIR BRUTALITY, YOU SHOULD GIVE IT UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Say what you will about the Predator in Prey, he's still a lot more competent and intelligent than the Predator in Predator 2 who just bounces around on cars n poo poo and gets shot while awkwardly trying to push aside meat lol. Of course, he can't say motherfucker, so that's a problem.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of Yes Madam, anyone gotten a copy of Righting Wrongs/Above the Law? Def my favorite action film of all time, gauging whether I should get the 88 films or vinegar syndrome release.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just saw Stone Cold (1991). Can't believe I'd never heard of it up until now. Just great.
Sure, it drags a little in the middle but I think it's up there with a ton of other 80s/90s action films that people consider classics...it just flopped commercially. The last act is just fun action spectacle. Watching Lance Henriksen successfully mow down the entire Mississippi Supreme Court with a submachine gun all while dressed as a priest, well, that's just one of them beautiful things that makes life worth living.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah for sure, it still feels 80s as gently caress in 1991. Similarly, the 90s ended on 9/11.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I couldn't even finish Under Siege 1 tbh, watching Stone Cold just made me wish they'd given every Seagal role to Brian Bosworth instead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ah but dokmo, he got to work with KURT WIMMER.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Yes Madam and Nemesis tonight, beyond excited.
Saw The Taking of Beverly Hills which was like...okay I guess. Fun to have an "action hero" whose gimmick is just chucking things at people, though was Brian Bosworth unavailable or something cmon. Thought the lead was kinda doofy and uninspiring. Robert Davi has some fun though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's really shined from the beginning, like I remember being like "Who's this dude in 30 Days of Night kinda stealing this movie?"
and it's a shame he hasn't really gotten more great roles. Even like, Hell or High Water, it's an okay overrated pretty-decent film that he's fantastic in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm finding The Big 4 kind of annoying so far during any moment that isn't an action scene (but tbf most of them seem amazing and make the movie worth it but gently caress, edit this poo poo down). Cut the pseudo Tarantino Joe Carnahan tier stuff and whatever else half thought out stylized homages are happening here and just leave me the good action film. It feels so uncomfortable in its own skin (and mega corny) when it's not delivering on well choreographed brutal action.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 18, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly even with the cast in Big 4 I didn't feel like most of them were pulling off the annoying characterizations and style it was going for but that's prolly just the script. The fight choreography and direction delivers.
Still recommend it to everyone though just for the action scenes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Ben Foster is one of our most underrated actors. He's in one of my favorite movies that most people don't like or haven't seen, Big Trouble, a crime caper comedy set in Miami. It feels like an Elmore Leonard story, but it's based on a novel by humorist Dave Barry.

Unfortunately Tim Allen is the lead, but the rest of the cast slaps: Foster, Renee Russo, Zooey Deschanel, Stanley Tucci, Dennis Farina, Janeane Garofalo, Patrick Warburton, Jason Lee, Johnny Knoxville, Tom Sizemore.
I totally forgot he was in Big Trouble. He was young as gently caress in that. I watched that cuz as a little elementary school kid I was randomly super into boomer humorist Dave Barry writing about how hard it is to raise 13 year old daughters, how annoying his wife is, sagging pants, or like how every random phrase would be a great band name man.
It's weird that in like 2nd grade I had the reading tastes of a 65 year old white man. Also loved Tom Clancy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh God the sequel hook of The Big 4. Timo really thought he was making a Kill Bill volume or something. Stick to Headshot and When the Night Comes For Us, it's a lot more fun and funny when he's not trying to make a funny movie. I think one of those films has the fight with the white mercenary who just goes like BROOO...BROOO.
Genuinely just fast forwarded through most of the second half just sticking around for fight scenes, it's not like you miss anything significant plot wise.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I live in Finland, so I just went to the movies.
Figured :argh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah some films justify going 2 hours and over but it's still so mindblowingly horrible that we live in an era where the stupidest loving movies are regularly 120 min and over. Like whatever random action blockbusters and so much comic book bullshit. It's insanity. Like, Jungle Cruise is loving 127 minutes and I haven't seen it but I'm pretty sure that should be a crime. Even the ones that are "good". Black Panther 2 is nearly 3 hours??! What the gently caress do these people think they're doing, making a Tarkovsky film??
It makes so much of the older 90 minute action films feel so brisk and efficient. Something like Stone Cold is pretty silly and cheesy, but it doesn't waste your time and it's certainly no stupider than every MCU film ever made.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

rrr is a great illustration of this because the midpoint point is the Big Betrayal but they wisely held back the reason for the betrayal, so then there's a 20 minute short film on backstory that stands alone perfectly and was introduced at just the right time
yeah, though even with that and as much as I love RRR I was starting to seriously feel the run time by then.
Guess I need to do more intermissions, bring em back

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone see 65 yet? I was hoping for a dope rear end action 90 min movie with Adam Driver going turok but it's apparently not even cheesy fun and just kind of a reheated A Quiet Place

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it was not good, just bad boring, self-serious, and surprisingly cheap...really not a lot of dinosaurs or action

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
169 minutes is insane and sounds horrible but I got moviepass and what else am I gonna do, watch the new Guy Ritchie thing that got dumped?? Mummies???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
John Wick 4 did not feel like a real movie, and honestly I was only feeling a couple of the fights (cut the entire Japanese hotel battle, and almost every single scene with two non-wick characters talking to each other, give me an excellent 100 minute movie) but the movie was saved for me both by the spectacle of the last hour and Keanu's senior citizen with dementia line deliveries.