Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is SPL 3 good, incidentally? I guess it's loosely part of the series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_(2017_film)

those first two films were incredible. and as much as I appreciate the first one being a bit tighter, the second one had some absolutely loving incredible fighting.

edit: also, is Atomic Blonde worthwhile? I've heard differing thoughts.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really wanna watch Red Cliff but the stupid English trailer voice narration keeps throwing me off

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god the remake of Once Upon a Time in Shanghai is a banger. Now on tubi. I know it's not fair but with spl 1 and 2 and now this I keep seeing films better than every loving John Wick combined.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Fury Road only interested me because the the trailer sent the message (and the final film delivered on it): "incredibly cool action movie!!!" which I'm not really getting from this trailer but I'm gonna give old George the benefit of the doubt of course.
I just like, couldn't care less about this world. I was in on Fury Road because it was an incredible and stylish action film and if this isn't gonna just be that (i.e. "Fury Road 2") then :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So is Silent Night good or not? I've gotten mixed signals on this but I'm assuming it's probably decent enough for a fun moviepass night

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

decent

* Violent Night

:hmmno:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

here's my top five action movies of 2023.

John Wick 4
Extraction 2
Fight Against Evil 2
Lamb Game
Fierce Cop

The last three are Chinese direct to streaming flicks. There are literally hundreds of these, many of them available in youtube, but the overwhelming majority of them are trash. Those ones are pretty good.

I need to catch some of that Chinese action cuz the 2023 stuff I watched didn't really blow me away. Not really a fan of John Wick 4 at all other than his Homer Simpson moment down the stairs take that as you will...and I haven't seen either Extraction.

1.) Godzilla Minus One
2.) The Creator???
3.) Plane???
4.) Silent Night???
5.) John Wick 4 I guess. I mean it's either that or Guy Ritchie Presents The Covenant.

Worst of the year was 65 imvho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was an incredible year for first time watches though, just fantastic poo poo, with a year of wealth like this I think you can forgive me for being like Ehhh when I saw JW4 or rolling my eyes until they flew out when I saw Sisu:

Magnificent Warriors
Royal Warriors
Yes, Madam!
The Legendary Trio
Once Upon a Time in Shanghai
Once Upon a Time in China
Green Snake
SPL1 and SPL2 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Wolf Warrior 2
Ricochet

Honorable Mention:
Unstoppable
Call of Heroes
The Millionaires Express' (going back in time and BEGGING HONG KONG TO STOP TRYING TO BE FUNNY AND STOP UNDERUSING ROTHROCK)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Interesting list, I'd never heard of Fist of the Condor but, well, now...

quote:

Upon the empire’s fall to invading conquistadors, the 16th-century Incas quickly concealed a sacred manual containing the secrets behind their deadly fighting technique. But after centuries of careful safeguarding, the manual is again at risk of falling into the wrong hands, leaving its rightful guardian to battle the world’s greatest assassins to protect the ancient secrets within. 
...I guess it has my attention lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'll second that. It's a miss, fairly entertaining and charming when it comes to absolutely everything BUT the action...
the sudden action scenes and ultraviolence just feel pasted in, jarring, poorly directed, weird when it comes to the rest of the tone (it's just weird to have like, the two Khan sisters suddenly having a loving bloody Kill Bill lite brawl, for example, but hey im an only child what do i know), and well, they're just not very creative or entertaining fight scenes unfortunately. Real shame.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
finally saw Atomic Blonde. Powerfully stupid rear end movie, way too long, not really worth watching but there are a couple of pretty good visceral fights so it's at least worth watching those on YouTube.
shout out to those two KGB agents in the stairwell, like goddamn lol...thank you for your service. now that's true determination for the cause. :ussr:

it's sad seeing an obnoxiously idiotic movie (not like charming 80s action stupidity) with great action scenes and then seeing like, a fairly charming film like Polite Society where all the action scenes were pretty bad. Wish they had whoever choreographed the poo poo in Atomic Blonde, at least.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 11, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Need to watch Cyborg cuz I love love Nemesis. Just charming. Could not watch Nemesis 2 though, got about 5 minutes in...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Polite Society is an odd inclusion unless he's just trying to comment on every action film made this year. I would not call the action scenes in that compelling or well shot.

I will say he's a rare voice that shared my thoughts on the JW4 (mostly uninspired except for a few scenes) so that's a good sign

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also thought Silent Night was fun enough but that sort of Death Wish cliche is a bummer to watch in a theater full of hooting gleeful white people just like KILL HER!!! KILL HER!!! as the most stereotypical Mexican cholo gangster people get mowed down (even with the couple humanizing scenes they're given).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't even know we got a Baby Assassins 2, clearly I gotta finish that video and hunt it down. Thought the first one was fine and fun, got a kick out of the one yakuza
"Kazuki, what you just said was sexism...Diversity is the key nowadays. Yakuza also needs to create a comfortable working environment for women. Haven't you seen Ocean's 8?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Avengement taking 13 days shows through every aspect of the movie and I'd rather just watch a Donnie Yen movie that took like 20 months a scene or w/e cuz I'm not on a schedule. Admirable tho.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

well why not posted:

Tony or Ridley? Both.
:hai:
Although funnily enough I feel like The Duellists is a better film about Napoleon than Napoleon.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Predator 2 was not only pretty racist (in the grand tradition of a Death Wish type movie tbf) but not really entertaining to me. It felt like it wanted to be Robocop 2 but was nowhere near insane and spectacular enough. Like I wish it were more wild and stupid if anything. I stopped there... supposedly "The Predator" is worse, which is hard to believe. talk about true horror.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where do I go with that series btw? Can someone give me a quick rundown on what needs to be seen and skipped cuz I saw the Van Damme original a while back and thought it was solid. I think it's a fair thesis on the fact that the only thing the United States really recycles is war criminals.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Man I love John Woo but holy poo poo Silent Night was dire. Like he took the first 2 minutes of Faceoff and dragged it out for 90 minutes and added a few action scenes. Just a really bad movie
Also very racially coded in that classic repugnant SUBURBAN MAN SNAPS sorta way, I was just like wow these cholos are straight out of the 90s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Hundreds of Beavers lives up to the hype. My kid and I loved it, funniest movie I've seen in years with tons of great slapstick moments. The sound effects throughout were perfect as well. There's so many absurd scenes
:hai: I thought I'd find it obnoxious but it's so creative and dynamic and chock full of gags and fun videogamey/looney tunes vibes.
Def try to catch it in theaters if you can, very limited release around me and I live in socal!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah you're not kidding, this movie sure looks like a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_B9K-sUuts

lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/JustinCChang/status/1778365404999827775

Hyped for Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In. We got the director of SPL 2 (among many other things), Louis Koo, one of Johnnie To's frequent talented cinematographers, and of course Sammo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I heard the action is pretty well directed and brutal? Did it give you John Wick vibes would you say?
Guess I'm probably gonna moviepass it anyway

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Jackie Chan's Miracles for the first time (it's on Max and Criterion) and just losing my poo poo during the first really big fight scene at the rival gang's base. Just gonna have a huge grin for the entirety of this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmYvleesq-Q&t=140s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would've enjoyed that, I feel like the sequel didn't have much of what made the first one so appealing to me. Not only are the characters more cartoonish, everything is, and now its no longer this tight single location action film, it's an action film competing with every big spectacle action film.
For me more or less ehhh even if I still like a scene or two from The Raid 2.

But I did dig the gently caress out of The Night Comes For Us.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I absolutely would, though it still wouldn't rank very high among just general big spectacle action for me (tbf there are a lot of great choices). Really it's just a loose "sequel" anyway, riding the branding and buzz of the first one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boy Kills World looks like it's got some dope action but is incredibly obnoxious. I guess I'll bring some earplugs.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oof the more I hear about this the worse it sounds. I'll just moviepass Monkey Man.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's a bleak time in theaters because I knew right off the bat that Fall Guy and Boy Kills World ain't poo poo. That doesn't leave a lot.

It's sad because I actually liked Bullet Train. It's like if Joe Carnahan made a good movie. It's like if Smoking Aces was 300% less obnoxious. Don't deny that loving movie, Michael Shannon is a motherfucking anime villain.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow 87north has some rough bullshit but hey still better than Joe Carnahan

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah and Bullet Train was actually like if someone made a way less obnoxious Smokin Aces. Michael Shannon owns in that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
See I was about to go give that a shot but then I saw "directed by Joe Carnahan" and I'd rather be in Gitmo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ok that IS a solid loving cast.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's dope that the a team was there in Iraq to help create ISIS. I'm sure Sharlto Copley got to some crazy hijinks

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I fell asleep at some point. Thought it was OK. Definitely less obnoxious than your average Carnahan. Good cast and some decent action.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I fell asleep not long after that. I could understand him fine but it didn't help much. Not a great performance, especially for a role I wouldn't call emotionally complex or anything.

It's a good movie to fall asleep to though, I'll give it that second ringing endorsement. Could be worse, I fell asleep to Paranormal Activity 2 Tokyo Night and I had night terrors more creative and spooky than the movie.

Not as good as Bullet Train tho imo. Michael Shannon really rockets that movie's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Bullet Train jumps up several stars when you imagine Michael Shannon's complex reactions as he learned about and then portrayed his anime as gently caress character.
Him showing up in the last act as basically a Cowboy Bebop villain was just beautiful.

Especially the fact that He's the kind of villain who will play a game of Russian roulette with your life but also take his own turns with the revolver as well lmao. You do gotta hand it to him.