Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

garycoleisgod posted:

I knew I blinked and missed it. Seems there should have been more fanfare considering how important a character they are.

The final scene gave me some laughs, though probably not intentionally. Who thought that looked good?

I saw this movie at a midnight screening and the next day I really had to wonder if the whole scene about autism was some kind of dream.

Really pissed off that Yvonne Strahovski was so thoroughly misused as well. That's probably lost in the edit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I saw The Man Who Feels No Pain the other night and it is loving badass. Great choreography and a surprisingly good story with charm for days.

https://youtu.be/x7z4PB0jwbo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Bollywood action should be discussed more in this thread. Has Baahubali come up before?

Even though my parents had Bollywood films on almost constantly growing up, it never caught on with me. I'd love a list of recommendations!

The only one I know offhand is Sholay, in which a dude with no arms fights off an entire army.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FancyMike posted:

Apologies, but I'm going to be pedantic for a quick minute here and mention that Baahubali is actually a Tollywood (Telugu) film.

It's also better than all of the Hollywood cg superhero movies imo, and Baahubali 2 was my favorite action movie of 2017, a year full of amazing action.

Oh that reminds me, I did see the Tollywood film Eega a couple years ago, which is a better version of Ant-Man and has the best training montage this side of Rocky.

https://youtu.be/lbWURFD4vdE

E: The Man Who Feels No Pain just picked up the Midnight Madness award at TIFF, previously won by The Raid. Big upset since it was up against things like the new Halloween and Assassination Nation

https://twitter.com/TIFF_NET/status/1041380441423572992?s=19

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 16, 2018

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is that really an upset, with those contenders? I always kind of gathered that the Midnight Madness award usually goes to the best thing that doesn't already have a lot of buzz.

Not always, it's an audience award so it really depends on how many eyes get on something during the Festival. Previous winners like Seven Psychopaths, Free Fire, and Bodied all had pretty good buzz going into TIFF.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Keep an eye on Gundala if you're into the Indonesian action scene. It's based on an Indo comic series and is basically the first film in an Indonesian version of the MCU. They've planned 1-2 movies per year for the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLM9ty5GzaI

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Raid and Dredd are both riffing on Die Hard’s premise, a foundation so good it launched a subgenre of action movies.

Donkey Kong laid the groundwork for that poo poo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So the Raid remake isn't exactly a Raid remake anymore...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I'm okay with this? It sounds like it'll be a rad movie, and not having the Raid baggage attached to it is probably a good thing.

Yeah I agree, it sounds like the script evolved away from a remake pretty organically. What makes Raid special is the fighting style and choreography and I don't see how anyone besides Iko and the boys could pull it off.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Not to go too far off the rails, but HBO is remaking Parasite for American audiences, so...

Bong is involved and I don't know if it's a remake so much as a separate story with the same themes. So much of Parasite seems specifically Korean so I don't see how that works with Mark Ruffalo (rumoured to be attached) anyhow.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 13, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Almost Blue posted:

The director of Shoot 'Em Up was a guest speaker for a class when I was in school. He talked a lot about how important storyboarding is for action movies – he actually storyboarded the first 15 minutes before the film was even greenlit. He was super bitter about the Hollywood system, apparently he had been wanting to make Shoot 'Em Up for most of his career and had to subsist on making half a dozen romantic comedies because that was the only thing he could sell. And I can't remember why but he really hated Jay Roach for some reason

It's not really uncommon to use storyboards to pitch your film to studios/finance people.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Donnie Yen did one of those things

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Michael Dowse did Stuber??? What the hell, that owns

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I remember very little about RoboCop 3 except thinking "you have a robot cop fighting two robot ninjas and winning. Doesn't this imply that a human cop could ever possibly best two human ninjas?"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anyone near Lehighton, PA? You lucky bastards can go see Hard Boiled at a drive-in next Tuesday.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This movie is fuckin wild, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcFfeWCMCM8

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I'd rather just see Tak make a samurai movie without having to also worry about this one take nonsense. But whatever I'll probably still like it.

It's about as straight ahead as any samurai movie I've seen. There's maybe about 20-30 minutes of story exposition in the whole thing and the rest is just fighting. Since it's one long take I do love how you see Tak getting visibly and realistically tired as the battle goes on and the sky change from day to evening. It's perhaps more of a curiosity than a fully-realized film but it still whips rear end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I assume the fifty guys who are behind him at every point don't just stab him in the back due to honor?

Should have hired some ninja.

They absolutely take turns fighting him face to face, yes. For honour!

(I don't know where chopping a dudes fingers off falls on the scale of honour but that happens at one point too)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Also I don't know why they're underselling it as 400-1? Someone counted and there are 588 kills in this thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

How do we get to see this?!

If you're in Canada it's playing the (virtual) Fantasia Film Festival but I'm not sure where else.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

Just so happens I am! Available Aug. 20, 2020 - Here

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! There's a new Johnnie To in the lineup as well. Apparently it's an MMA romance/musical?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FancyMike posted:

I saw this one and it's only okay. Not bad, but I can't really recommend going out of one's way to see it unless you're a To completist.

Thanks, there's a lot in this lineup I want to see (not just action) so I'm looking for stuff to cull.

I've been hearing good things about The Paper Tigers. Not balls-out action but apparently very sweet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

The worst is when he pops up in a movie and doesn't get to do anything. Like American Assassin or his blink and you'll miss it Bourne appearance.

Feel the same way about the Raid guys in Force Awakens. What a waste!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thread hero Scott Adkins is doing live commentary over the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung movie My Lucky Stars this Friday. Tickets are free but limited.

quote:

Register here for your free ticket!

The Freer and Sackler team up with 36 Cinema to bring you a live event with British-born Hong Kong action star Scott Adkins (Ip Man 4), who will break down all the action in the martial arts comedy classic My Lucky Stars. Hong Kong martial arts greats Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, and Yuen Biao join forces in this goofball kung fu lark. Chan is an undercover cop who enlists his bumbling former orphanage pals, the five Lucky Stars, to help him track down a corrupt cop hiding out in the Japanese underworld. From the dazzling amusement park-set opening—with Chan scaling a Ferris wheel in one of his most jaw-dropping stunts—to the thrilling haunted-house finale, My Lucky Stars offers its trio of legends a true chance to shine. (Dir.: Sammo Hung, Hong Kong, 1985, 96 min., Cantonese with English subtitles)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

I paid 8 dollars for mine...

Oh sorry! It says something about a code so maybe you're supposed to use that. It doesn't seem to be working one way or the other for me in Canada so I guess it's geolocked.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I really disliked it. It tried to be Crank but was just poo poo all around

As mentioned I don't think it was going for a Crank vibe. More like both those movies were going for something like The Big Hit.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just watched Get The Hell Out and while not the most inventive thing in the world, has some solid action and some cute fourth wall breaking gimmicks. It's also one of the only action films I've seen where the primary martial art is pro wrestling moves. Are there any others like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HCVDOOnFlU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a live chat with Donnie Yen tonight at 9:30pm EST on Instagram Live if anyone's interested.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

midge posted:

Seconded.

Edit: gently caress, new page.

Give me your best FULL ON action movies. Looking for stuff in the vain of Stone Cold in terms of period and quality. Anything less than 50% action time is not acceptable... I really wish there was a website that had action ratios listed! Boco_T, maybe you can add this as a metic in your reviews?

Did you ever get to watch Crazy Samurai Musashi? I think that movie kinda spoiled me on action time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Wasn't an early version of that film where he was fighting neo-nazis or something?

Rambo But It's Green Room would've slapped.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Adam Wingard is doing a direct sequel (not a remake/reboot as had been rumored) to Face/Off

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love Wingard's work and I think he and Barrett are perfect to write this. Obviously the whole thing hinges on who they get to play the leads though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=765933154342297

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrUdGNEgBe8

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Goddamn Supercop loving owns

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Speaking of Michele Yeoh just watched Everything Everywhere At Once and she absolutely kicks so much rear end there. Kinda a spoiler, but it's revealed if you watch the trailer. loving astounding movie.

It's so great. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that you see a bunch of different fighting styles in the movie too, and in a bunch of different contexts. There's a lot of hype behind it which I get can be overwhelming but it really is so, so good.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hell yeah new Timo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQQJEiESrK0

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

That's like if every wrestling show was the Tournament of Death.

I, too, would become bored with paradise

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I just saw Sisu and it was pretty friggin' dope. There's some pretty nasty gore, and more importantly: a bunch of nazis get loving wrecked.

Hell yeah this movie rocks. Where did you see it? I caught it at a festival last year but didn't know it'd been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That trailer seems to be geolocked to Finland but Sisu goes so fuckin hard.