Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

My only negative thing about Man of Tai Chi is how Keanu brings in Iko Uwais and then doesn't have him fight.

I watched Man of Tai Chi before I had seen The Raids and thought that part was funny, then I watched it again after I'd seen The Raids and thought that part was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I liked Debt Collector but seeing Mandylor was weird because his brother has been around forever in that exact kind of movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I had only ever seen the beginning of the first Skyline and later checked out the ending because it sounded kinda fun. I watched all of Skyline 2 and the ending there is just amazingly cool and a great sequel hook, especially considering the kind of escalation in action from the first to the second movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUi6fQRUP1o

Whatever this is I need it in my body right now.

Looks better than the last Russian superhero movie I saw. Guardians was interesting but kind of too absurd for my taste.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boco_T posted:

This movie is 82 minutes long and it feels like triple that. Unwatchable in almost every way. I get that people want to make low budget movies, but the look and quality of the things in the film is so bad that it's very difficult to get into it. Edge is a charisma void, the script is horrible.

There is another odd-couple/ buddy cop movie starring Edge and Jamie Kennedy where Edge shows a bit of charisma, but the movie is as boring as Money Plane sounds. The most entertaining thing about it is the contrast between it's title, Breaking the Rules, and Edge's actions, which involve only the softest and most pleasant rule-breaking.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

So like Predator, but hornier?

HARDly possible.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

You have to see Mean Guns, his Tarantino ripoff with mambo music and a Highlander and I think ice t, which had a decent budget for once.

And PStew too, I think.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

midge posted:

Same as every Rutger movie outside of Blade Runner and Nighthawks? Has anyone seen Split Second? Looking for a copy atm.

Which is the Rutger one where he's like an alien hunter (or a hunter that is an alien?) with a throwable sharp disc that returns ala' Predator 2? Operating from VERY old memory here, I can't see it on IMDB

Oh yeah, I also want Surviving the Game!

Could you maybe have mixed up Rutger Hauer with Dolph Lundgren? If so, you are thinking of I Come in Peace/Dark Angel.

Also, Ladyhawk is good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

I thought Alita was very bad [...]

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Alita was loving incredible [...]

These are pretty much the opinions you will find on the movie, I think. I'm in the latter camp, I thought it had a lot of heart and great action, but if CGI action turns you off it's a hard pass. Like, a really hard one. It will keep you from connecting with the main character and any of the action.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I assume the fifty guys who are behind him at every point don't just stab him in the back due to honor?

Should have hired some ninja.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

he's working his way through all the 87 eleven guys, i recommend the interview with Daniel Bernhardt who played the random henchman in the first John Wick, the only opponent in any of these movies who actually got the best of him.

Bernhardt is also an Agent in the second Matrix movie, I think he's even the "Hm, upgrades!" guy. It was fun realizing Keanu likes to work with him and their scene in Matrix 2 is pretty fun.

Bum move not to post a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vm2QcWVEqU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Star wars 7 was incredibly egregious about this

Hell, so was master z in wasting Tony jaa

Scott Adkins got to fight Doctor Strange... in a lame float-y game of astral grab-rear end.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Keep an eye out for Tiger Chen early on in John Wick 3. I personally thought he could have had a bigger role but at least he got a memorable moment.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Man, I kinda want to see Hyams make a Hellraiser sequel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shoot 'em Up made it cool to eat carrots. I will forever love it and Constantine for sending up the trope of the cool action hero dude who smokes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I was only 11 when The Quest came out but even then I immediately realized watching the trailer it was just Bloodsport again.

There are parts of The Quest that are pretty great but holy moly there are SO many parts that are not great. When I rewatched it for the first time after many years, I had so many "Wait, this happened in the movie" moments.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

I saw Triple Threat this weekend and it was a solid flick but just a tad disappointing for what I feel was wasted potential. The Jaa vs Adkins feud was solid, Michael Jai White vs Iko climaxed not the way I hoped and funny enough the entire movie it feels like Iko was chumped on.

Middling flick with great stars.

I feel pretty much the same, and I don't think I got Iko's plan. It felt needlessly complicated and kept him from kneeing and punching people, which should be a big no no for any plot point.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Isn't that the plot for a Matrix tie-in comic?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

The 3rd Terminator is worth watching for the truck chase scene near the beginning and the bananas ending straight out of planet of the apes. Everything in between is worth skipping.

For completionists, it makes the movie easier to take in if you tell yourself someone at the cinema swapped a few reels with the latest Police Academy sequel or whatever, and it somehow stayed that way.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's always been the dumbest loving thing about Terminators and there's definitely room for a more brutal imagining of them where they're just incredibly effective killers. Me a big robot capable of crushing skulls underfoot, the enemy a soft squishy bag of organs, I guess I'll toy with them by hurling them about a bit. They're just not scary.

It all falls into place if you consider SMG's reading that the Terminators are incredibly shoddy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

married but discreet posted:

The movie would also be over very quickly. Alternatively the writers would have to think of some other way to convey danger to the protagonist other than them getting thrown around.

I don't know why you're so harsh to James Cameron. I mean, the Terminator could have killed Sarah's roomy's boyfriend like he did those punks, but I liked the scene.

null_pointer posted:

I'm going to regret asking this, but do you have a link to that post

Sadly not. I can go looking for it but I'm honestly not sure whether it was made in the general chat threat, the Greenlighted threat or possible a random other thread.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Makes sense that the machine that overthrew its masters once it got smart wants to keep its machine servants from becoming smart.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Payndz posted:

Finally got round to watching Terminator: Salvation. Can't believe someone thought "boy, what this franchise really needs is to be more like Transformers." I swear they sampled some of the sound effects straight from the Bay films.

:laffo: at how quickly they burned the T-800's face off so they didn't have to spend any more time/money on their CGI Arnold.

I liked some parts a lot on a re-watch, basically everything with Marcus has been fine. But yeah that sequence in the factory fell extremely flat for me. I don't really get why Connor would be shocked by having to confront the Arnold model, or that the factory makes that model now. It's been kind of inevitable.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I believe that Edge of Tomorrow was generally praised universally. I thought it was great. I know the title was bashed....but not the actual movie.

???

Maybe they confused Edge's reception with Oblivion's. That one came out a year earlier, and while it's not really an action movie, it's pretty good. Not as fun as Edge tho.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Narzack posted:

[The Crow]'s not quite a Blade-type action extravaganza, but it's good.

I actually appreciate The Crow's kinda understated action. In a modern movie, the fight against Tin Tin would have gone on for ten minutes and be caught in the hell of over-choreographed and under-directed, in the movie as is it's a perfect scene to establish that Eric is pretty much goth Terminator.

And while The Crow is no Blade action-wise, I wonder how much influence the optics of the main character had on Blade. The Crow rocked a leather coat four years before it became cool.

Unrelated, I watched The Night Comes for Us on the thread's recommendation and was thoroughly entertained. The final fight is hilarious in how vicious it is, it reminded me of Fist of the North Star in the best way.

Looking forward to Taslim as Sub Zero.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I just finished watching Headshot and liked it fine, but I can see how The Night Comes For us kind of evolved from it. I loved Sunny Pang as Lee, he had perfect Final Boss energy, and the final fight made me want to rewatch the final fight with Mad Dog from The Raid, but in a good way. I also enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces from The Night Comes..., I want to see more of these people kicking rear end. Really looking forward to more of Timo Tjahjanto's work.

Uwais was incredible as always, and I am getting a bit sad that I have gotten pretty much through all his movies bar that Netflix show and things also starring Mark Wahlberg.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The TV show is actually really good. It ends with a bit of a whimper, but it contains some absolutely dope fights. The one at the docks (docks? I think?) was especially loving cool

I will check it out then. It looked a bit cheap in the trailers I saw, but if the action is good I couldn't care less about production value or dodgy CGI :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Virtuosity (1995) - 5/5. I rewatch this regularly, it's Russell Crowe stealing the show as cyberpunk Joker and Denzel Washington doing his Denzel thing. Beautifully dirty and gnarly look at the future and how much it's going to suck. Death TV is an inspired bit, just hilarious.

I watched this recently too, and the bolded part is kind of depressing. It's like the opposite of future visions in movies like Predator 2 where you can see how they got the idea making this when they did. Virtuosity could have been made today.

N-edit: Well not today because of Corona, but you know what I mean.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrBling posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the director of Highlander thought it was a good idea to cast Lambert after seeing a picture of him as Tarzan.

He couldn't speak english and he is so extremely near-sighted that he pretty much can't see without his glasses.

Yet, you push on and have him be the lead in your sword fighting movie.

He mistook Lambert's effort to focus his sight on him as an intensive stare, easy mistake.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dokmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAu83FPMYc

It's interesting how action movies from some countries translate easily to western audiences (like those from east asia) and some don't (like those from India). I have seen only a handful of russian action movies, but I'm sure they produce just as many as any other place.

My favorite russian action movie is the remake of Commando, called D Day or Den D, which is nearly identical to the original but without the campiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFbFhSgutTw

Those both look wild, thanks for the recommendations.

The only Russian movie I've seen relatively recently was the superhero movie Guardians (2017which was alright as an action movie, but parts where I couldn't figure out if they were comedy beats or weird translation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Thanks to the thread for pushing me towards watching Wu Assassins, I just watched the opening (owns) and Uwais' last line before the opening credits gave me a good chuckle. Dude is hella charming.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I checked to see the age discrepancy after they individually fought wu jing in wolf warrior (adkins) and wolf warrior 2 (grillo). I was surprised at the gap

Wait a minute...

Adkins and Grillo in a Father and Son action comedy!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

It's a huge burden to put on actors and I kinda blame 300.

Arnold Schwarzenegger elbows Sly in the ribs as he points at this post.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Speaking of John Wick, I just rewatched chapter 3 again and that fight against Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman is still amazing. Those two are just a joy to watch, and the bit where Wick goes "Back off guys, I got this" is still hilarious. And like with Man of Tai Chi, it's fun to watch Reeves against dudes who are way smaller than him. Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman are obviously dangerous enough to justify a kind of manhandling that would make Wick the heel in a wrestling match.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Arnold really was at his best when he was slaughtering mothers by the dozen with a smile on his chiseled face and a gleam in his eye.

I forgot about that part of Kindergarten Cop.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

Is Bloodshot bloodshit?

It's merely Bloodok.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

brocked posted:

Yeah, they should have made XO manowar, Magnus, or maybe Turok instead

And just cast Vin Diesel in all of them. The Viniverse.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Not from an action movie, but this classic gif was posted elsewhere recently and the discussion here reminded me of it:

Those are some nice kicks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rascar Capac posted:

A commando team led by Major Murphy Black (Reb Brown)

Aw yiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah you wanna be watching ‘I Saw The Devil’ if you haven’t.

Isn't there an American remake of that in the works? They could hold out for that, how bad could it be!