Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Re-watched Where Eagles Dare. I keep forgetting how much fun this is. Obviously Clint Eastwood duel wielding machine pistols against endless Nazis inside an exploding castle is awesome. But the caper-ish stuff holds up too. The big midpoint misdirection set-piece where Richard Burton talks circles around the bad guys is wonderful. It's all very Mission Impossible: WWII and I'm surprised that a remake hasn't been floated yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Gravy Jones posted:

They won't try even bother trying and will just cast Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender

Kenneth Branagh for the Burton role surely.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd love to see Jake Gyllenhaal does a few more Michael Bay flicks. Like Nick Cage and Will Smith he really keys into the Bay frequency and sells the poo poo out the material.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Speaking of formative 80s(ish) film figures, Walter Hill's directoral run of Hard Times, The Driver, The Warriors, The Long Riders, Southern Comfort, 48hrs and Streets of Fire (plus a hands on producer role on Alien) is incredible, then after that you can really start to see him struggle with the way Arnold and others changed the action landscape.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I was not expecting RRR to be that gory. Lot of cues taken from 300, John Woo and Mel Gibson's historical flicks

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 5, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

dokmo posted:

I'm no expert on Indian movies, but the vast majority of Indian action flicks I've seen are pretty dull. Check out John Abraham's filmography for example, or the mustachioed supercop genre like Singam (although this movie was pretty good, most of them aren't). What sets RRR apart is that it goes as full bore as the crazier historical/fantasy epics like Baahubali, but it's still set in kind of the real world.

The Baahubali duology is interesting because you see Rajamouli feeling his way into the more graphicly violent approach of RRR as it goes on. It starts out in the very PG place that's the norm for indian historical adventure dramas, then each set piece gets progressively bloodier (and the the use of CGI gets more flamboyant).

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
In advance of the 200 million dollar Netflix-Ryan Gosling-Russo Brothers spy flick I decided to watch 6 Underground, the Netflix-Ryan Reynolds-Michael Bay 150 million dollar spy flick, because I suspect both are going to have similar flaws which might be interesting to compare. However, I didn't expect 6U to be a dull as it is. It's the most checked out movie Bay has made and you can just feel him giving less and less of a poo poo with each successive set piece - nothing outside the opening car chase is any fun at all. Reynolds just doesn't gell as a Bay protagonist, and the script feels like an algorithmic attempt to recreate the globetrotting superspy era of the Fast & Furious franchise. I think it might be the worst movie Bay has made.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 16, 2022

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
It's his best action movie since The Rock. Jake Gyllenhaal, like Will Smith and Nick Cage, really keys into Bay frequency which elevates it a lot.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Rock wasn't the next Die Hard either. Both are solid B tier versions the 90s style limited location caper inflected thriller, but Ambulance was made in the 2020s.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Disappointed that the big trailer sell for the next John Wick is another fight in a neon lit room of glass (the climax of the last two films). Hopefully they have more up their sleeve for the actual movie.

Also, Gray Man is bad in all the ways 6 Underground (Netflix's last attempt at a 100+ million bux action movie) is bad but much much worse.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If they'd made it in the 80s there would have been squibs

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You can see the director working out how to approach heavily CG assisted action through the Bahubhali movies. Things do get closer to RRR near the end of the second one

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
While a choreographer and not an actor, Yuen Woo-ping has consistently been well utilised by Hollywood filmmakers.

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't seen it but I heard good things about how Lethal Weapon 4 used Jet Li. Also Unleashed/Danny The Dog is pretty good.

In addition to Matrix and Kill Bill he worked on both of these.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Athena on Netflix is a great ride, especially if you're fond of continuous shot set pieces. I'm not sure it's up to its pretensions. It wants to be a more action heavy La Haine but ends up closer to The Warriors, which is not bad bar to reach.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd love to see him do a villain role again. He's so much fun in Interview with the Vampire and Collateral

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't seen Paathan yet but War is the best Fast and Furious movie since the tanks chase/infinite runway one

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'm disappointed that we seem to be getting another Wick Against Waves of Killers movie instead of the Wick leads a rebellion of the Assassin Society Underclass that the end of the last one seemed to be pointing towards.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Has anyone seen Zhang Yimou's Sniper? That seemed to come and go without any fanfare in the West. Is it good? All the clips I've seen from it seem very phoned in from him.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 18, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I had a fun with Agneepath (1990) a kind of Indian riff on Scarface + 1980s Jerry Bruckheimer/Don Simpson aesthetics. The plotting is a bit murky and scattershot and it does feel it's length, but it's terrific to look at - so much red on white - and I'd especially recommend it if you're looking for something as over the top as recent Indian actioners but more tactile.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And everyone agrees they did right by Donnie Yen

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Does he get to do action business again in this one?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The new John Wick is fun, but the weakest of the films. All of the set-pieces feel like reworkings of earlier ones. The first big sequence is a bit too similar to the raid on the Continental. More combat doggies chomping on crotches. A nightclub shoot-em beat-em-up. Wick has to navigate through a hostile urban environment while all the assassins in the vacinity converge on him (despite callouts to The Warriors throughout this bit, I was disapointed that all the contract killers of Paris are just variations on one type of guy. Look at the movie that inspired you! Get creative with the costuming! Make the waves of baddies destinct!). The only times it really tops the versions of those scenes from the earlier movies is when it shifts focus to Donnie Yen, who is terrific throughout.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 23, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Harry Knowles's review for Blade 2 is still one of the worst things ever written for the internet

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Pathaan is sadly a lot less fun than WAR. There's still a lot of CGI in the former by generally they're committed to locations/sets where they can do a lot of practical stuff wheras Paathan is throwing most of it's budget at the effects department for backdrop work. Think Fast and Furious 6 Vs Fast and Furious 9.

Also, it's really depressing to watch such an expressive actor as Shah Rukh Khan juiced to the gills and committed to such an inexpressive performance

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 24, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
War is good fun, especially if you're looking for something to scratch the same itch as the later Fast and Furious movies

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I felt the skyscraper battle was stronger than the oner which was much too overextended. Loved the section where Rake is taking out guys with the equipment in a penthouse gym

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 17, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Let Shane Black out of director jail to do another detective movie with Batista as lead

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Payndz posted:

Frankenheimer just going "These punk kids think they can direct a car chase, huh?"

If you've never seen it watch Grand Prix (1966). Our man Frankenheimer just setting out nearly every modern cinematic convention for filming cars in motion.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Watching Action Jackson. Its too bad even though this was successful we didn't get more Carl Weathers action movies like this.

I'm open to suggestions on 80s action. Some good poo poo not bad.

The Hidden (1987). Just a really solid little action/horror/buddy-cop hybrid. Kyle MacLachaln is proto Agent Dale Cooper as one half of the detective team. The baddie is a very goopy body jacking space bug that lives life like a particularly reckless and sadistic Grand Theft Auto player.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

well why not posted:

Atomic Blonde rocks, idk about relegating Theron and Leitch to "anyone in hollywood".

Sam Hargrave (director of the Extraction movies) was a stunt co-ordinator on that too I think.

Also, it's been a while since I've seen it but doesn't Thin Red Line use a lot of long takes? (Both Malick and Cuaron are both in love with Sergey Urusevsky's cinematography)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 26, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I feel like you can parse a lot of hard to pin down differing vibes between 80s and 90s action movies by contrasing Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I don't know if The Beekeeper or The Bricklayer are any good, but as far as pissed off manual labour guys who have a particular set of skills go, I re-watched Mr. Majestyk (the Elmore Leonard scripted flick where Charles Bronson is a watermelon farmer who goes on a rightous rampage of revenge after the bad guys shoot up his watermelon crop) and it's the pitch perfect version of this kind of thing.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

trevorreznik posted:

Speaking of one take scenes , was Old Boy the first action one? I absolutely cannot think of what came earlier. I thought Jaa's Protector, but it came out two years after Old Boy.

Soviet filmmakers really went in for them. There's a lot of great ones in Mikhail Kalatozov's filmography, but especially I Am Cuba, and the lateral tracking shot through the Battle of Borodino in Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace is bonkers in terms of scale.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Tony Scott was on some poo poo. Personally, I thought Domino was dope.

The scene where they shotgun that guy's arm off is my favourite bit of ultraviolence from him.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MrMojok posted:

watch the Richard Lester Musketeer films!

Not that these aren't great, but the versions they planned to do with The Beatles as the musketeers are high up in my list of "could have been" movies I would love to see.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

TIP posted:

there was a time that netflix streaming had a pretty good back catalog of older movies available, but that was ten years ago before every studio decided that their streaming rights were valuable

The last time I really looked into it the only movie from the 60s Netflix has is The Professionals which kicks all kinds of rear end. They seem to rotate old men-on-a-mission movies into and out of their cataloge one or sometimes two at a time. They had Guns of Naverone (not great, so so much terrible 1960s day-to-night photography) a few months ago and Kelly's Heroes (whips, Eastwood has a Western style shootout with a tank) last year.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 16, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Sagacity posted:

Just rewatched Ronin and drat those two major chase sequences still hold up so well.

If you love this movie you owe it to yourself to watch John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix which defines the modern film grammar for vehicles in motion, cars especially, but also the cutting between exterior and cockpit shots in films like Star Wars and Top Gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
While it doesn't reach the heights of The Man From Hong Kong or Dead End Drive In, Brian Trenchard Smith's Deathcheaters is a watchable bit of Australian kitsch about stuntmen roped into an action movie plot.

Also, the first feature credit for cinematographer John Seale (The Hitcher, Fury Road, Rain Man, The Talented Mr Ripley, a bunch of early Peter Weir movies).

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 27, 2024